Why is bjj all drama

Johnsonville

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the gym I'm at, but the Muay Thai class has no bullshit at all. I've been training here for two months and only one of them been doing bjj and all I see are arguments and shit talking behind each other's backs.

A few examples: a blue belt girl who is fat as fuck tried fighting me because I kept tapping her with "strength moves", which was a kimura that I didn't rip, eased into and didn't injure her. She also got into a fight with another guy over something he said. I often hear them talking shit about each other While I'm in Muay Thai. It's also kind of gay that every class ends with a photo and clapping.

I never saw any of this shit at my old mma gym and none of this goes on during Muay Thai. I'm partially convinced this is part of traditional gi bjj culture or maybe there's just shit people in the class and they chill out during striking. Is this common?
~DaViD~

You just gave an example of one girl who was being a pain. And clapping/photos after class isn't usually considered drama. So that's one example you tried to turn into 2, then another 'example' thats not an example of anything, except maybe strong comradery and team culture. You may have some anger issues yourself.

Yeah I think it sounds like a handful of individuals in your particular class.
Lots of gyms have their own culture. Sounds like you don’t like yours.

Meh, you find assholes and drama in most aspects of life: work, social circles, family.

Why would sports/hobbies be any different?

Must just be the people in the class. The Muay Thai guys are all cool as shit, but there's always some bullshit happening in bjj. It also might have to do with people going live more I guess can lead to more issues, but I never had any nonsense like this in no gi or striking

~DaViD~

Gym culture is full of drama.

Muay thai is a little more laid back but it's not much different.

A few examples: a blue belt girl who is fat as fuck tried fighting me because I kept tapping her with "strength moves", which was a kimura that I didn't rip, eased into and didn't injure her.
Fight in as fist fight? Was she planning to channel her inner Roy Nelson?

Gym culture is usually set by the coaches. If coaches constantly criticize other schools belting systems and talent level, you will see students being dicks about such thing to new people. If the coach is a flow roller who likes abstract moves or only gi, then most likely they will have a bad attitude towards strong guys or good athletes. A whining coach = whining students. A mean " get even" type coach will breed more violent or aggressive tenancies in students.

Gym culture is usually set by the coaches. If coaches constantly criticize other schools belting systems and talent level, you will see students being dicks about such thing to new people. If the coach is a flow roller who likes abstract moves or only gi, then most likely they will have a bad attitude towards strong guys or good athletes. A whining coach = whining students. A mean " get even" type coach will breed more violent or aggressive tenancies in students.

Interesting analysis. Come to think of it my first instructor only did gi, almost never rolled, and liked abstract concepts. I was left with the impression that mma guys had generally worse bjj because they were usually better athletes.

The clapping after class is supposed to foster a bit of team work and unity. Do you make fun of hockey/basketball/football/etc teams that put hands in the middle etc? I get it that at the very end of the day, BJJ is a individual sport, but it's your teammates that make you better.

I myself don't get the photos thing but I do understand that for most, it's a requirement these days with social media

Last edited:
I'm just being a dick about the clapping and photos, it's nbd and actually kind of nice some nights, but the coaches are really nice guys. They are gi only flow rollers which is cool, I came from an eric Paulson inspired gym so my style is way different than theirs which I think is why that girl flipped out. I'm just more annoyed that they talk shit about each other when class is over, are so into their way is better type mentality, and get too competitive in rolls, I think a lot has to do with ego being blues and getting tapped by whites. And for those who are gonna shit on me, I legitimately do try every move we do in class while rolling and have adopted most things we've learned, but I don't want to abandon what I already learned too. Oh the drama.

~DaViD~

I'm just being a dick about the clapping and photos, it's nbd and actually kind of nice some nights, but the coaches are really nice guys. They are gi only flow rollers which is cool, I came from an eric Paulson inspired gym so my style is way different than theirs which I think is why that girl flipped out. I'm just more annoyed that they talk shit about each other when class is over, are so into their way is better type mentality, and get too competitive in rolls, I think a lot has to do with ego being blues and getting tapped by whites. And for those who are gonna shit on me, I legitimately do try every move we do in class while rolling and have adopted most things we've learned, but I don't want to abandon what I already learned too. Oh the drama.

~DaViD~

You’re an outsider who joined the club and is making them look bad by tapping them out lol

It’ll either get better and you’ll be accepted by the team or you’ll be asked to leave/quit due to never getting promoted.

Also how did the fat chick try to fight you? Did she take a swing at you?

cause of 2010 a bunch of weird looking hipster type people have joined the community and with those types comes drama

You’re an outsider who joined the club and is making them look bad by tapping them out lol

It’ll either get better and you’ll be accepted by the team or you’ll be asked to leave/quit due to never getting promoted.

Also how did the fat chick try to fight you? Did she take a swing at you?
That's what I kind of thought but when I talked to the instructor and everything seemed cool, and the Muay Thai coach who does bjj too was saying everything's cool and she's a bitch, I'm more so just annoyed I have to talk to him haha idk why it's even a thing, I just wanna do this shit as a hobby and to relax. And I got out from half guard with underhook and when I got to my knees she shoved me and yelled "you wanna fucking go let's go let's go" and got all up in my shit. I literally just looked at her and didn't say anything haha and then the round ended

~DaViD~

It was trained and spread by drama queens, even decades ago.

That's what I kind of thought but when I talked to the instructor and everything seemed cool, and the Muay Thai coach who does bjj too was saying everything's cool and she's a bitch, I'm more so just annoyed I have to talk to him haha idk why it's even a thing, I just wanna do this shit as a hobby and to relax. And I got out from half guard with underhook and when I got to my knees she shoved me and yelled "you wanna fucking go let's go let's go" and got all up in my shit. I literally just looked at her and didn't say anything haha and then the round ended

~DaViD~

Lmao that’s a great story. That chick is an idiot. Must be real proud of her blue belt

I rarely see people suffering from drama when they’re not looking for it or creating it.

Probably a top down thing. My coach is super chill but takes zero shit and will toss someone from the gym or suspend them for drama and a bad attitude.

Is the MT coach maybe a bit more alpha than the BJJ coach? More chill?

Meh, you find assholes and drama in most aspects of life: work, social circles, family.

Why would sports/hobbies be any different?

Yeah but good leadership cuts it way back. I'm thinking of someone we both know who chilled the hell out when someone else we know called him on it and offered a vale tudo match.

Back