Why i am so bad?

Envincar

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I been doing kickboxing for 1 year and i started judo. but when it comes to grappling i feel clumsy and uncoordinated. dunno why but everybody can roll and breakfall well but i just cant. not even a shoulder roll... any tips to improve? maybe i need to go back kickboxing? (sorry bad english)

Because falling is not a natural reaction, so you are unconsciously afraid.

You just started, and you are wondering why you are not yet a master?

Just keep on eatting shit. If its important too you, you will not stop.

Beginners are afraid of falling, like Rod1 says.

People who are afraid of falling will always suck at judo. Also they are miserable to practice with because instead of going with the throw they always make you fight against them, even in drilling. Which just causes injuries for all involved.

Beginners are afraid of falling, like Rod1 says.

People who are afraid of falling will always suck at judo. Also they are miserable to practice with because instead of going with the throw they always make you fight against them, even in drilling. Which just causes injuries for all involved.
hard words, now i am thinking about stay or quit judo. but thank you.

You just started, and you are wondering why you are not yet a master?
i now that. but cmon even kids know how to roll or breakfall better than me and i been in other martial arts.

Give it some time and see if you get any better, if not, quit unless you actually enjoy it. Obviously if you liked falling and rolling you'd probably be better.

The things I am good at (kickboxing and judo), I was always decent at. I could forward roll near perfectly my first day, I didn't work at it.

My first day sparring Muay Thai at an MMA gym, I was on the lower end of average, after six months I was getting the better of one of the coaches. I never had that with BJJ.

BJJ I've worked twice as hard at and I'll never really be good, then again I don't really want to be good at it. So I don't spend much time on it.

Don't spend too much time on things you are shitty at, focus on your strong points.

Ask yourself...why do I need to take people down when I'm a kickboxer. Why spending every day in the BJJ gym when fighting that way is not natural to me?

Honestly, if Judo wasn't so much fun I'd never do it because I don't do takedowns. I would never take someone down in a real fight, it would never occur to me nor would applying a submission.

Conor McGregor can train BJJ all day for the rest of his life, he will never be a champ based on his BJJ. And guess what? Conor hates BJJ, people tend to suck at things they don't like.

Last edited:
i now that. but cmon even kids know how to roll or breakfall better than me and i been in other martial arts.

So what? Kids are bound to be good at it, they've spent years rolling around on the floor and they're relaxed and flexible. Kids learn a lot of things quicker than adults anyway.

Stop worrying about your progress relative to other people and get on with it. You'll learn. Some things will take longer, some things will come easy.

In the meantime relax and trust that the mat won't hurt you if you follow instructions.

Do you always start from standing when you are rolling are falling? When I have people who struggle I have them start rolling from one knee. Right knee down left foot down. Roll in between your left leg. The thing is you can practice that a hundred times a day in your living room. It will translate to rolling while standing or running
Same thing with breakfalls

Do you always start from standing when you are rolling are falling? When I have people who struggle I have them start rolling from one knee. Right knee down left foot down. Roll in between your left leg. The thing is you can practice that a hundred times a day in your living room. It will translate to rolling while standing or running
Same thing with breakfalls
i always start standing. maybe start in my knees help (like you said roll between my left leg), thank you.

Give it some time and see if you get any better, if not, quit unless you actually enjoy it. Obviously if you liked falling and rolling you'd probably be better.

The things I am good at (kickboxing and judo), I was always decent at. I could forward roll near perfectly my first day, I didn't work at it.

My first day sparring Muay Thai at an MMA gym, I was on the lower end of average, after six months I was getting the better of one of the coaches. I never had that with BJJ.

BJJ I've worked twice as hard at and I'll never really be good, then again I don't really want to be good at it. So I don't spend much time on it.

Don't spend too much time on things you are shitty at, focus on your strong points.

Ask yourself...why do I need to take people down when I'm a kickboxer. Why spending every day in the BJJ gym when fighting that way is not natural to me?

Honestly, if Judo wasn't so much fun I'd never do it because I don't do takedowns. I would never take someone down in a real fight, it would never occur to me nor would applying a submission.

Conor McGregor can train BJJ all day for the rest of his life, he will never be a champ based on his BJJ. And guess what? Conor hates BJJ, people tend to suck at things they don't like.
So i need to keep training the things i am good at? i only wanted to start judo because my friend (wrestler) show me how effective is a double leg takedown and i wanted to try grappling.

The most important first step in judo is practicing your break-falls and rolls. Get good at them, and you won't be (as) afraid to be thrown. If you aren't as afraid to be thrown, you'll get a lot more practice in, with better players, and you'll learn much faster.

I recommend this video for beginners: http://bjjtakedowns.com/judo4bjj-giveaway/Breakfall-progressions-1.mp4

He covers the essentials perfectly, and gives practical advice for how you can practice at home by yourself.

FYI - novice kids should be able to breakfall and roll better than a novice adult. Before puberty, their muscles and joints are bendy and loose. They weigh less, and they are closer to the mat when they fall.

Last edited:
hard words, now i am thinking about stay or quit judo. but thank you.

I just meant to be realistic not hard. I started judo as an adult, and it really sucks learning to take throws when you are an adult male. It's not like a little kid throwing another kid, when they are light and close to the ground. A 200 pound guy throwing another 200 pound guy is an event. It's intimidating. But you can get over it with some focus on relaxing and making sure your ukemi is improving.

You know a lot about gayness and projecting. You're the expert! lol

P.S. Is he paying you? lol

You top quote proves my point. You are an envious beta male moron. You admit that everyone has weaknesses and that not everybody will be good at a martial art, yet you are quick to discredit Punk as simply being untalented when in fact he could be solid in the stand up more so than on the ground.

This simply shows you to be both a hypocrite and an envious clown.

Also what makes you assume that I know alot about gayness? For you to make such a bold assumption could only mean that you are the one projecting your gayness.

You top quote proves my point. You are an envious beta male moron. You admit that everyone has weaknesses and that not everybody will be good at a martial art, yet you are quick to discredit Punk as simply being untalented when in fact he could be solid in the stand up more so than on the ground.

This simply shows you to be both a hypocrite and an envious clown.

Also what makes you assume that I know alot about gayness? For you to make such a bold assumption could only mean that you are the one projecting your gayness.

Wow, stalking me from another thread. Total beta. lol

So i need to keep training the things i am good at? i only wanted to start judo because my friend (wrestler) show me how effective is a double leg takedown and i wanted to try grappling.

You can but look at it this way.

How will you stack up against people who are super talented at Judo? Will you ever beat them at their own game?

Now how will you do against a guy who's talented at Judo but has no striking when you learn to stuff throws? All you need to do is learn enough Judo to stuff his takedown or stand back up. That doesn't take nearly as long.

Similarly I mostly focus on sub defense and standing back up. I'm not going to beat an elite grappler on the mat no matter what I do but they are unlikely to beat me at striking. So my goal is to force him to stand.

I prefer fighting grapplers because I can stuff their takedowns and punish them, their striking is bad so I don't get hit. If I go down, I pop right back up.

I don't practice BJJ all day and neglect my striking thinking some day I'll beat these guys at their own game. That will never work.

Last edited:
Thinking outside the box of combat or MMA effectiveness...

Do you really want to invest your time to outwork people who are naturals? Does that sound like years and years of fun? Working hard and getting no recognition?

Why not find something you excel in and invest your time there.

To me that is the purpose of trying new things...finding something I can excel at and focus on.

Thinking outside the box of combat or MMA effectiveness...

Do you really want to invest your time to outwork people who are naturals? Does that sound like years and years of fun? Working hard and getting no recognition?

Why not find something you excel in and invest your time there.

To me that is the purpose of trying new things...finding something I can excel at and focus on.

I'm just a 53 year-old, 6 months in, 2-stripe white belt. I just moved to a new state and joined a new gym this week.

I'll never be the best, I'll never excel, I'll never have a bio on Sherdog or BJJ Heroes, but I'm having fun. And while I may still suck, I had a blast yesterday ragdolling no-stripe white belt manlets half my age.

maybe you arent that bad but they are that good??

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

Back