Why don't you like Metal?

Metal have evolved and branched out so much since it's inception. There are really many forms of metal. I have been a metal fan for a very long time.

True, but while there are a lot more sub-categories of metal than there were when there was pretty much just "heavy metal", I would say that they variety of different styles of heavy metal played by the average band today compared to Judas Priest and other 70's heavy metal bands is fsr, far less diverse.

Judas Priest has Rocka Rolla, Winter, Dying To Meet You, Never Satisfied, and Run Of The Mill on their first album "Rocka Rolla" which is a tremendously diverse group of songs. What metal bands of today or even of the last 20 years have had that many styles of heavy metal on one album?

On their next album, "Sad Wings Of Destiny", Judas Priest had "Victim Of Changes", "The Ripper", Dreamer Deceiver" and "Deceiver" on the first side alone. Today you'd have to find 3 or 4 bands to get 4 songs that diverse. Then on side 2 there's "Epitaph" which is entirely different from any of those. "Epitaph" is sort of like the style of the band Queen - a 5th style on one album! Who does that today and with that quality?

True, but while there are a lot more sub-categories of metal than there were when there was pretty much just "heavy metal", I would say that they variety of different styles of heavy metal played by the average band today compared to Judas Priest and other 70's heavy metal bands is fsr, far less diverse.

Judas Priest has Rocka Rolla, Winter, Dying To Meet You, Never Satisfied, and Run Of The Mill on their first album "Rocka Rolla" which is a tremendously diverse group of songs. What metal bands of today or even of the last 20 years have had that many styles of heavy metal on one album?

On their next album, "Sad Wings Of Destiny", Judas Priest had "Victim Of Changes", "The Ripper", Dreamer Deceiver" and "Deceiver" on the first side alone. Today you'd have to find 3 or 4 bands to get 4 songs that diverse. Then on side 2 there's "Epitaph" which is entirely different from any of those. "Epitaph" is sort of like the style of the band Queen - a 5th style on one album! Who does that today and with that quality?

I was never much of a Judist Priest fan, but then again I never really gave them much of a chance. I see what you're saying though. While all of it was called "heavy metal," there really was a wide variation of metal in the 80's from Metallica, to Iron Maiden, to Guns and Roses, to Ozzy Osbourne, to Ratt, to Poison (which today is sometimes referred to as "pop metal"). There was a lot going on. I really miss the music of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. We will never experience anything quite like it again.

Last edited:
I was never much of a Judist Priest fan, but then again I never really gave them much of chance. I see what you're saying though. While all of it was called "heavy metal," there really was a wide variation of metal in the 80's from Metallica, to Iron Maiden, to Guns and Roses, to Ozzy Osbourne, to Ratt, to Poison (which today is sometimes referred to as "pop metal"). There was a lot going on. I really miss the music of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. We will never experience anything quite like it again.
Ive been saying for years, the 90s was the last great decade for music. Still good stuff coming out now, but its not the same.

I love everything from Death to Katatonia. Metal has so many different things going on you can find something for whatever mood you're in.

Katatonia is a great band, one of my favorites. I don't think they've ever made a record I didn't love. Well, maybe the one before the latest. That was slightly boring/uninspired, as I recall.

My favorite is probably still Last Fair Deal ... though.

Katatonia is a great band, one of my favorites. I don't think they've ever made a record I didn't love. Well, maybe the one before the latest. That was slightly boring/uninspired, as I recall.

My favorite is probably still Last Fair Deal ... though.
Last Fair Deal is great. Viva Emptiness is probably my favorite.

• I don't like the vocals
  • It puts me in an aggressive mood which isn't good unless I'm working out
  • It doesn't have an aesthetic to it like other forms of music, where the musical patterns are predictable

• I don't like the vocals
  • It puts me in an aggressive mood which isn't good unless I'm working out
  • It doesn't have an aesthetic to it like other forms of music, where the musical patterns are predictable
I really don't know what you mean by your last point.

I prefer a funky groove with a beat I can dance to.

I really don't know what you mean by your last point.

Do you know what he meant by the first point? Cuz I don't. I mean, it's not that there's only one kind of "metal vocals". Unless he refers to growling.

Do you know what he meant by the first point? Cuz I don't. I mean, it's not that there's only one kind of "metal vocals". Unless he refers to growling.
He probably is.

If that's what he means, I understand.

Back