Why Doesn't The UFC Adopt The ONE FC Weight Cutting Guidelines?

the UFC doesn't set the rules. The athletic commissions do. you'd need to get them to approve that and then have each one agree to adopt it

ONE decided to end/seriously diminish weight cutting. Most of their fighters moved up a weight class and the limit the cutting to 5%. They also do hydration tests to make sure you aren't just dehydrating for the weight checks. This means if you are a 145 pound fighter, you can not lose more then 7.5 pounds meaning the maxiumum weight for 145 is essentially 152

How would they ensure that all of these hundreds of fighters stay within the limits?

What happens when a superstar misjudges and cuts 6% instead of 5%? He automatically loses his title?

TS has gotten the system slightly wrong. There is no rule saying you can't cut more than 5%. The rules are copied below (from ONE website). A fighter HAS to weigh in hydrated...in a sense you cannot miss the hydration limit, because if you fail the hydration test you have to drink water until you can pass, and then you weigh in. if a fighter missed weight - catchweights can be arranged subject to agreement of both parties, that's where the 5% comes in. It's the maximum weight difference between the 2 fighters in the event of a catch weight.
(See item 4 below)

It's worth noting that item 1 and 2 below really just depends on fighters honesty - I see people getting hung up on it but it's not too important. It's just in place so ONE has some assurance that their fighters won't miss weight - and therefore can rightfully punish them if they do.
General Regulations & Policies Related To Athletes’ Weight

1. Athletes must submit their current walking weight and daily training weight regularly. Athletes will input and track their daily weight online via a dedicated web portal.
  2. Athletes will be assigned to their weight class based on collated data and random weight checks. Athletes are not allowed to drop a weight class less than eight weeks out from an event.
  3. During fight week, weights are checked daily. Urine specific gravity will also be checked the day after arrival and three hours prior to the event. Athletes must be within their weight class and pass specific gravity hydration tests all week and up to three hours before the event. If an athlete falls outside the weight, or fails a test, they are disqualified from the event. Doctors may request additional testing at their discretion.
  4. Catchweight bouts are allowed. However, the athlete with the higher weight will not be heavier than 105% of the lighter opponent’s weight.
  5. ONE will conduct random weight checks on athletes at its discretion.
  6. Athletes may petition to change weight classes outside of the eight-week competition zone and must be within their new desired weight at that time. In addition, athletes must pass a specific gravity urine test when their weight is within the limits of the newly petitioned weight class. ONE doctors can request additional testing to determine the amount of weight drop allowed over a specific time.
  7. The usage of IVs for the purpose of rehydration will not be allowed
Ideally this would work, but in the interim it will mean more cancelled fights.

Imagine Brock Lesnar vs Conor cancelled a day out because Brock failed a hydration test.

You must pass the hydration test before you can weigh in.
Example: Brock fights Hunt again.
Hunt passes the hydration test and weighs in at 260.
Let's say Brock's weight prior to weigh in is at 265lbs, but he fails the hydration test - he can't weigh in. He would have to hydrate (drink water), until he can pass...and then weigh in.
In a sense it's impossible to fail. You can only miss weight.

Then let's say after passing the test he weighs in at 275, it's still within 5%(13lbs) of 260, so a catchweight can be arranged it both men agree.

I'm sure there is some penalty involved but the details are not available.

Where it gets shady (ONE is notoriously shady) is that the hydration test results and even weigh in results are not made public.
They used to be , but then they stopped for some reason.
However there is no reason UFC would have to follow suit.
In fact the KEY point that UFC should adopt is the hydration test. The rest is fluff.

It needs to happen. Everybody should fight their equal. You got some guys cutting huge amounts because they can and weighing in 15lbs over the other guy in the cage. Fuck that.

You don't expect proud Muricans to go copying a bunch of Asians, do you???

This is Murica, man..... it's called weigh cutting...... what do you not get?

OR, or........ or are you not proud of your fkn country, dude?? Personally, I want to talk about a wall to keep the non-weight cutters OUT of the sport. Maybe separate them from their kids....

Cuck.

ONE decided to end/seriously diminish weight cutting. Most of their fighters moved up a weight class and the limit the cutting to 5%. They also do hydration tests to make sure you aren't just dehydrating for the weight checks. This means if you are a 145 pound fighter, you can not lose more then 7.5 pounds meaning the maxiumum weight for 145 is essentially 152.

135ers would all move to 145, every single Bantamweight weighs at least 145 out of camp.

145ers would move up to 155 as most of them are atleast 155-165.

155ers would all move up to 170, I dont think there is a top LW walks lighter then 170.

170ers would move up to 185, same idea.

185ers would move to 200.

Then make anything above 200 HW. These are the weakest mens divisions and most of the LHW could easily fight at HW, and it makes the division better. There is no reason Jones, Gus, Rumble, Bader, etc should be fighting at less then HW. You take the 20-30 guys in both divisions and you get a REAL HW division.

The UFC is slimming down and trimming off the fat right now anyways.

Consolidating the lowest and highest weight classes will force the fighters in middle divisions to fight in their proper weight class as long as weight cutting considerations are factored in.

Because someone hasnt died yet. Sadly, shit that needs to get done doesnt until someone gets seriously hurt and the organization is under scrutiny.

The One FC weighins are awful. Who wants to weigh in twice? Just change the thing to same day weighins. Obviously people who cut weight and fight the same day are going to suffer so they might abandon that practice and lose some weight instead of water.

The One FC weighins are awful. Who wants to weigh in twice? Just change the thing to same day weighins. Obviously people who cut weight and fight the same day are going to suffer so they might abandon that practice and lose some weight instead of water.
Instead the UFC went with early weigh-ins... <Moves>

TS has gotten the system slightly wrong. There is no rule saying you can't cut more than 5%. The rules are copied below (from ONE website). A fighter HAS to weigh in hydrated...in a sense you cannot miss the hydration limit, because if you fail the hydration test you have to drink water until you can pass, and then you weigh in. if a fighter missed weight - catchweights can be arranged subject to agreement of both parties, that's where the 5% comes in. It's the maximum weight difference between the 2 fighters in the event of a catch weight.
(See item 4 below)

It's worth noting that item 1 and 2 below really just depends on fighters honesty - I see people getting hung up on it but it's not too important. It's just in place so ONE has some assurance that their fighters won't miss weight - and therefore can rightfully punish them if they do.

You must pass the hydration test before you can weigh in.
Example: Brock fights Hunt again.
Hunt passes the hydration test and weighs in at 260.
Let's say Brock's weight prior to weigh in is at 265lbs, but he fails the hydration test - he can't weigh in. He would have to hydrate (drink water), until he can pass...and then weigh in.
In a sense it's impossible to fail. You can only miss weight.

Then let's say after passing the test he weighs in at 275, it's still within 5%(13lbs) of 260, so a catchweight can be arranged it both men agree.

I'm sure there is some penalty involved but the details are not available.

Where it gets shady (ONE is notoriously shady) is that the hydration test results and even weigh in results are not made public.
They used to be , but then they stopped for some reason.
However there is no reason UFC would have to follow suit.
In fact the KEY point that UFC should adopt is the hydration test. The rest is fluff.

Got it.

As much as I like the idea, and as much as I want to see the weight cutting issue fixed, I can’t see this as being the solution.

So in addition to managing their weight, fighters would have to manage an additional dimension in hydration? And if they misjudge, a catch weight must be arranged? Operationally, this sounds like a nightmare.

Got it.

As much as I like the idea, and as much as I want to see the weight cutting issue fixed, I can’t see this as being the solution.

So in addition to managing their weight, fighters would have to manage an additional dimension in hydration? And if they misjudge, a catch weight must be arranged? Operationally, this sounds like a nightmare.

You must be right. Two dimensions are too many for a professional athlete.

ONE decided to end/seriously diminish weight cutting. Most of their fighters moved up a weight class and the limit the cutting to 5%. They also do hydration tests to make sure you aren't just dehydrating for the weight checks. This means if you are a 145 pound fighter, you can not lose more then 7.5 pounds meaning the maxiumum weight for 145 is essentially 152.

135ers would all move to 145, every single Bantamweight weighs at least 145 out of camp.

145ers would move up to 155 as most of them are atleast 155-165.

155ers would all move up to 170, I dont think there is a top LW walks lighter then 170.

170ers would move up to 185, same idea.

185ers would move to 200.

Then make anything above 200 HW. These are the weakest mens divisions and most of the LHW could easily fight at HW, and it makes the division better. There is no reason Jones, Gus, Rumble, Bader, etc should be fighting at less then HW. You take the 20-30 guys in both divisions and you get a REAL HW division.

The UFC is slimming down and trimming off the fat right now anyways.

Consolidating the lowest and highest weight classes will force the fighters in middle divisions to fight in their proper weight class as long as weight cutting considerations are factored in.

The ONE FC system is BRILLIANT

It is the ONLY way forward to solve this weight cutting BS.

I guarentee the UFC will follow the system eventually, when not if.
Get the commissions and their egos out the way and put fighter safety first.

It will happen for sure but not for a while.
Oversized guys fighting above their weight class better enjoy the current rule while it lasts.
I agree they will probably add more weight divisions also soon after.

Would change the makeup of the top level also.

After years and years of eyepokes, they still weren't able to change the damn gloves.

So I wouldn't expect anything radical to happen just like that.

Or overturn fights won solely because of an eyepoke.

If they did this and we started calling the flyweights bantamweights, would sherdog still hate the division?

The lightest division has been and always will be hated.
If it was only HW and LHW, lhw would get shit.

You know it's true

I don't think they can get away with closed-door weigh-ins with no published results.

Weight cutting rules are absolutely needed.

Right now the UFC champions are all fighters that cut weight well. Khabib wouldn't even be champion with proper weight cutting rules.

You must be right. Two dimensions are too many for a professional athlete.
Explain to me how the average joe fighter would manage and track his hydration levels through a fight camp?

Explain to me how the average joe fighter would manage and track his hydration levels through a fight camp?

Their hydration levels are normal during the fight camp. They only go down during the water weight cut, which occurs the last few days before the fight. And they would obviously be able to track how much water weight they need to lose.

How do you know they solved weight cutting?

No need

Most fighters make weight with no problem

They should force those who miss weight to move up

Somebody has to die first but I'm sure after that they'll make quick work of it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back