• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do the fighters pretend to dislike each other like WWE? Why the corny Jones/Ngannou face-off?

Wrong. And you may as well just admit it to yourself. You'll see through the bs a lot easier when you do.

Simply put, a majority of fans know, follow, and love O'Malley more than Sandhagen (this is just one example and maybe not the best one). That allows O'Malley to make more money (because UFC makes more money). And that creates a positive feedback loop.

If you want to differentiate between "hard core fans" and "casual fans" and diss casuals and say they're the problem and reason why O'Malley gets White Privilege, so be it. That metaphor has been around since TUF began in 05. It's somewhat accurate, though the lines are blending more and more as time goes on. But don't kid yourself; the "causal fans" drive this sport.

I spent a lot of years thinking that once people were introduced to the sport, it would grow. I agreed with you then, and I was fundamentally wrong then, as you are today. Most people need drama or something else to stay interested. TUF, Lesnar, McGregor, and Demetrious Johnson (for the counter-example) all prove it to be true. Those are just 4 of the most obvious examples; there are dozens of others that support my overall hypothesis.

So coming back to Jones v Ngannou. They do it because fans demand it. If they do it, interest grows and they make more money and become more famous. If they don't do shit like this, interest wanes and they make less money.

In other words, yes, MMA athletes do it for the exact same reason WWE athletes do it. QED.

Shrug. It is what it is. At least the sport grew when drama increased sales, and now I get weekly MMA out of it, whereas 20 years ago I got it monthly at best.

Lol hope you’re feeling better after getting that off your chest sister.

Lol hope you’re feeling better after getting that off your chest sister.
Shrug. You threw out an opinion. It was wrong. I told you so, and then I supported my argument with facts about why it was wrong. That's how adults converse, son.

If you don't like discussing topics, then just don't discuss topics.

Or if you don't agree with my arguments, then say so and then support your counter argument. Don't just be a p**sy about it and try to hide behind an insult.

Last edited:
This post is the perfect example of "why they do that"

it gets people talking about, it starts to build the hype. These guys are not playing a game, they are fighting each other. They are Prize Fighters, on the biggest MMA stage of the time. Its just how it is, its a biproduct of the publicized fight game.

Because like it or not, the sport of mma is largely supported by a casual fanbase. They need those storylines and somebody to get behind or be against to be interested. The sport itself and the best fighting the best isn’t enough, it’s not like team sports where often one often supports the team that is closest to them.

I wish it wasn’t that way and we could do away with the corny fake beefs and over the top and often cringy trash talking but it is what it is. The hardcore community makes up a small percentage of the fan base and the UFC and fighters will never cater to it until it becomes the majority, which will likely never happen.

Why can't the sport just be professional and mature without the obviously fake and silly rivalries conjured out of thin air?

Fedor never did that nonsense and people respect him for it and he's the GOAT.

Is it that fans of MMA find real-life boring, so they have to see fake cartoonish hatred before a fight?

What has happened to MMA?
Maybe because the majority of the sport's fans are unprofessional and immature. <45>
I agree 100% though. I'm hoping North American promotions outgrow this fad.
Good fighters and good fights speak for themselves in the octagon. Let the highlights, the media, and the fans do all the talking.
The manufactured stuff is tiresome now and becomes totally forgettable later.
A real fight will always be more exciting than 2 people pretending to be mad at each other.

Why can't the sport just be professional and mature without the obviously fake and silly rivalries conjured out of thin air?

Is it that fans of MMA find real-life boring, so they have to see fake cartoonish hatred before a fight?

DlrczBz.gif

c059YPV.gif

DQWoKmU.gif

wXCJUL0.gif

15QYFZa.gif

HCJAiW1.gif

43oZGhk.gif

4zhnlSy.gif

0TiGEGa.gif

WhvXIJ7.gif

nu9eRx2.gif

DJlXqRM.gif

larmHZc.gif

yZQi9N8.gif

WZYeDkb.gif

tONM7IO.gif

fLN5j5t.gif

xFOHQwV.gif

ivwmBYG.gif

pAfHJ7R.gif

Because it sometimes leads to higher pay and more exposure.

That said it doesn't work for most for who it is just obviously fake and boring.

Because like it or not, the sport of mma is largely supported by a casual fanbase. They need those storylines and somebody to get behind or be against to be interested. The sport itself and the best fighting the best isn’t enough, it’s not like team sports where often one often supports the team that is closest to them.

I wish it wasn’t that way and we could do away with the corny fake beefs and over the top and often cringy trash talking but it is what it is. The hardcore community makes up a small percentage of the fan base and the UFC and fighters will never cater to it until it becomes the majority, which will likely never happen.

Not sure its really the "casual" fanbase which goes for this personally, I'd argue in MMA its actually the supposedly "hardcore" fanbase which is more deeply in the grip of UFC hype and will buy into shit like Colby's "fueds" were as the general public it tends to need a fighter who attracts genuine interest in the cage like McGregor, Brock or Rousey via performances then can maximise it with this kind PR work.

Go back to WWE dumb wannabe MMA fan.

if you need WWE level storylines to create interest in a fight, MMA isn’t for you.

Its been around in combat sports forever. Ali is the most famous athlete ever and the biggest shit talker ever

Back