Why do some previous dominate fighters abandon their most successfull weapons?

VIPERdude

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Let me explain, I will use 2 examples. Josh Koscheck, Diego Sanchez are two...and many others ....

Had such a dominate style. Josh first off a four-time NCAA Division 1 wrestler...was phenomenal using his wrestling in MMA. Defeated Anthony Rumble Johnson on the ground for god sakes. Diego Sanchez has a win over Nick Diaz on the ground! (granted it was a decision win)

Both fighters were promising and I was certain with Kos's viscous wrestling and Diego's relentless ground and pound skills would become champions. These guys won with these styles mores so than when standing in my opinion, at least in Josh Koschecks situation his striking was decent had a few nice knockout victories but he always made his opponent paranoid about that take down that rarely anyone could stop. Diego started striking and had a few successful stand up wars but seemed to abandon his entire ground game that brought him to the elite top 5 status.

Its normal for a fighter to want to learn other arts, and perfect the game all around, but when they start to lose trying to be something they are not WHY does a fighter not realize this and go back to doing what made them such a success?

Koscheck is turning 40 this year....he's been wrestling since he was 5 years old.....father time catches up to you eventually.

Koscheck is turning 40 this year....he's been wrestling since he was 5 years old.....father time catches up to you eventually.
he hasnt won a fight since UFC 143 against Mike pierce in 2012

I know Sherk didn't like idiots calling him boring so he tried to box more, only reason BJ beat him. If Sherk would have tried to grapple he would have taken BJ easily.

Diego's not a smart guy.
its sad though, he was a killer on the ground. If he could have just used those killer war skills he had standing and used it to beat up guys on the ground his career would have been different i THINK

father-time.jpg

The striking fanboyism of the fanbase infects them.

What about Big Ronda trying to box rather than grapple or clinch and judo... Oh yeah the UFC hyped her up so much she believed she was invincible.

Maybe for the same reason some people write 'dominate' when they mean 'dominant'. Because they haz the dumbz.

Dudes get old and find out they aren't the best at what they did anymore

KO's = more excitement, more money. Machida's a perfect example of this. Before he won the belt he was always elusive and would use his impressive skillset to beat people in points but was considered "boring". When he started KOing people, he was exciting and dominant, etc. It also opened him up to getting beaten more. That's why you always hear fighters talk about putting on exciting fights. Excitement gets them more sponsors and more hype/publicity. GSP used to dominate people with his wrestling and put on clinics and you have Shertards screaming how he's boring and only uses lay-n-pray, which is completely inaccurate but the just bleed crowd doesn't want to watch any skill that doesn't involve someone getting knocked out.

With most fighters that are dominant in one particular aspect as the talent level of their opponents rise, so does their ability to shut down their one area of strength. GSP vs KOS II was a great example. Koscheck had only an overhand and his TDs so GSP forced the fight to stay standing and kept his left hand up and jab,jab,jabbed Kos until his soul leaked out his smashed orbital bone.

Same reason why Lombard looked like a killer at MW in Bellator and other orgs but is a win one lose one level against UFC competition. Too bad UFC is trending away from having most of the top 10 in the world in most weight classes.

Back