Why do singers sing "yeeeah" and "oooh" so much???

hearthstone25

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Idk it just annoys the shit out of me when a singer sings "oooo..ooo..h!" And "yeeeeeaa..aa..h!" In between the actual lyrics. Especially on a live performance where the singer is trying to impress people. It'd be more impressive if you stfu and don't waste time with the sex noises.

As a filigree, or to fill some time, sometimes to just show off, often badly and pointlessly the way Carey did.
Mostly, though, same reason I trill notes when playing guitar and do tricks like pick slides and pinch harmonics, you know a few people in the crowd will dig it.

The way I figure, as a listener, is "Wow, that was good technique... that was overdone... okay, I'm gonna have to learn how to do that one... oof, he flatted that third by accident..."

This is the only acceptable form of OOOH YEAH!

Depends on the song doesn't it? Plant in Led Zeppelin I'm fine with as most of it was "sex music" anyway, the same with James Brown...

That kind of autotuned wabbling nonsense we get in otherwise inoffencive modern pop music is largely aweful though.

Last edited:
Writing lyrics isn't easy. I sing and write songs, alot of times shit like this just fills in the gaps. And personally I think it's cool, to each their own.

You can add how the word "baby" or "babe-eh" is almost in every pop song ever.

Especially Incubus was bad about this

I like Incubus music but man Brandon Boyd rarely let the band play without "ooooo" over everything

I saw the thread title and immediately thought of Hetfield. Someone needs to show him a performance from 85' or something and do it right.

I think they just copy what everyone else has done before them.

Kind of like how feminine gay guys all copy each other with that same voice.

b/c they are space fillers, that are one syllable and thus easier to add melisma/runs to it to try and impress people

Same reason DMX barks like a dog or says "come on" "what?" between bars. It sounds cool.

Idk it just annoys the shit out of me when a singer sings "oooo..ooo..h!" And "yeeeeeaa..aa..h!" In between the actual lyrics. Especially on a live performance where the singer is trying to impress people. It'd be more impressive if you stfu and don't waste time with the sex noises.
It's your parents having sex upstairs, bro.

Nobody is more guilty of this than KISS count how many times they say it in their songs it's like they ran out out of lyrics to write about it's all over Sonic Boom and Monster.

Lol I did immediately. My friends always mock Hetfields. "Oh ch'yea!!!" All the time.

Was just about to post this. James is notorious for loving to use yeah in almost every song

Back