Why do people respect Chael so much??

well said psycho.

I am a fan of chael he is funny and speaks truth on many subjects. I can say I have disagreed with some things he has said but I understand he is just playing his role.

Because he knew Lance Armstrong gave himself cancer.

Meh, I don't see why anyone would really get offended by anything he has to say. The whole American Badass routine is so very obviously a gimmick.

As far as rehashing old material as a coach, who gives a shit? Have you ever had a coach, whether it was middle school soccer or varsity basketball, that only ever said incredibly original motivational speeches? Of course not, as far as athletics go, everything there is to be said has been said for the most part, a good motivator knows when to say what, and how to deliver it- which Chael does very well.

Aside from that, he also gives very clear, specific instructions rather than limiting himself to emotional stimulus.

I've always been fairly indifferent to him as a fighter. Unlike a lot of these "smart" guys, I don't take anything he has to say very seriously, but I will say, he has impressed me as a coach.

PS: His gimmick gets him paid, very well. Why hate on a man for getting paid?

EDIT: Didn't read all the way through, just noticed that psychodad said everything I wanted to, and said it better! So I'll just +1

How is he 6-5 in the UFC? Hasn't he only lost to AS and Maia?

No, he had an earlier run in the UFC as well, and it didn't go all that great.

Delivery. This guy means it, it's not a slogan on a T-shirt. He can motivate the shit out of anything because he delivers it.

As a longtime journeyman who made himself into a contender, he has cause to believe it.

what makes you think he is respected? only rednecks and (very) uneducated people respect him..

I really hope you don't like Chael for insulting other people considering you did the same. But knowing most lowest common denominators they tend to attack others using the very same tactics.

He lost to Babalu and Horn during his first stint in the UFC. He was cut after the Horn fight and eventually worked his way back to the UFC.

if people honestly believe thats chaels attitude when the camera goes off they are insane i remember meeting him at an ncaa tournament some years ago before his mma career and he was very respectful and down to earth. you dont become a national champion by being too full of yourself to fix your mistakes.

sounds to me like dumb people buy into the shit he says and some love him for it and some hate him for it im kind of indifferent but the guys a hell of an athlete and always shows up to fight.

You just described a fake person right there.And it's not okay to make jokes about serious subjects.Don't care if you mean it or not.

Who the hell cares about the damn quotes? Most quotes start out with "my father once said" or "I heard once that if".

You're digging deep to satisfy your hate for this man. Leave it be.

the whole point is to piss people off. so he goes after everybody thats loved. thats how it works. come on guys..

people make fun of americans all the time...

You just described a fake person right there.And it's not okay to make jokes about serious subjects.Don't care if you mean it or not.

How old are you?

If you are old enough to work, do you talk to your boss and possible customers the exact same way you talk to your friends?

Most subjects people joke about are serious to someone, so I guess we should not joke about anything.

I understand you must have hurt your feelings by joking about trying to feed carrots to a bus, made you feel silly for trying to do that. But now you know better!

I like Chael better after the show, but I'm still not a big fan for precisely the reasons you are describing. Anyway, I percieve Chael as an opportunist. When he started his career as an average mixed martial artist, he had if anything a very bland personality and was easily forgettable. At some point he realized he could get bigger fights and bigger pay checks if he trolled a bit. then he took his trolling too far.

then he took his trolling too far.

His bank account had some sort of a deposit limit?

Because it looks to me his trolling is working amazing for himself and for UFC.

1. You are either of low intellect or an over sensitive person that enjoys being offended if you can't tell when Chael is making comments tongue in cheek. He is having fun and its entertaining. No...don't start typing it. I know your about to say you don't find it entertaining at all...but you do. Entertaining doesn't just mean just that you like it. If your honest with us and yourself you know when he is on you watch, even just to get mad at what he is saying. And look, you cared enough to come into and comment in a thread about nothing else but Chael so like it or not, he's got you.

2. Chael is one of the nicest guys in the sport. Check out this article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1270709-chael-sonnen-demystifying-the-persona-of-a-pantomime-villain

Also, Mark Munoz said that Chael contacted him when he had to pull out of their fight because of injury to see if he needed help with medical bills. King Mo also said that Sonnen was one of the only people that contacted him and offered him help when he was hospitalized.

So there are plenty of reasons to respect and be glad there is a guy like Chael Sonnen in the UFC. But you know what. Why don't you go on worshiping guys like Nick Diaz and his crack legal team as they try and blow the doors off the conspiracy against him. Or Slobber all over Alister Overeem who is ducking out back doors to avoid piss tests when he isn't "showboating"(he didn't get KO'd right, he was just cocky) in the octagon.

Yah Chael is the one that doesn't deserve respect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back