Why Do People Over Here (USA) Have Such a Negative Self Image ?

Ed Banger

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I lived in the U.S. between 1989-1998 (age 7-16). Moved back to Germany until this June and now I have been back in the U.S. for a little over 4 months. The first thing that I noticed, is the permanent trashing from the media in this country… incompetent Obama here, racist cops there, bad Muslims everywhere. I understand that the U.S. has a record 10th straight year without 3% growth in GDP – but is this really surprising, with nations like China & India getting a larger share of the economic pie? A few days ago, I read an article in a major German newspaper Der Spiegel, titled “Obamas Wirtschaftswunder“ (Obama’s Economic Miracle -> http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/so...er-wirtschaftskrise-geholt-hat-a-1116544.html). I know we are more on the liberal side in Germany and you probably don't really care, but I still couldn’t imagine reading any similar article over here.

Looking at the stats, violent crimes are cut in half from when I lived here in the 90’s. Driving through my old neighborhoods and towns where I lived in, everything seems nicer and more modern. Almost all of my old high school buddies are living in houses, with big properties and happy families… of course these are just personal experiences, but I’m really having a hard time finding these ‘oh so horrible issues’ in real life in this country. People are talking about civil wars, people like Alex Jones have a huge following (who I consider has an extremely dangerous ideology), a complete lunatic without any political experience is about to receive 40% of the votes of Americans, with the slogan "Make America great again" because people are "fed up".

What am I missing? Maybe I had a different perception back in the days (after all, I was a minor) and my opinion will change after time, but the 90's weren't really that much greater (except for the endless re-runs of Saved by the Bell). So far, it's quite nice over here... I really have no idea what this near apocolyptic mood is all about.

What am I missing? Maybe I had a different perception back in the days (after all, I was a minor) and my opinion will change after time, but the 90's weren't really that much greater (except for the endless re-runs of Saved by the Bell). So far, it's quite nice over here... I really have no idea what this near apocolyptic mood is all about.
You're quite right, things are good here. The "problem" is that racism is actually, occasionally, acknowledged, gays aren't forced to stay in the closet, and that women might be able to aspire to high political office is simply too much for some people to bear.

The US emerged from the GFC far stronger than any other western country. The US has historically very low crime. etc. etc. etc.

You're quite right, things are good here. The "problem" is that racism is actually, occasionally, acknowledged, gays aren't forced to stay in the closet, and that women might be able to aspire to high political office is simply too much for some people to bear.

The US emerged from the GFC far stronger than any other western country. The US has historically very low crime. etc. etc. etc.

It's a problem for sure. But it's not an American problem and it's definitely not a new one. I would even go as far as saying America is one of the least racist nations in the world today.

lumqkiv7jmsx.png

It's a problem for sure. But it's not an American problem and it's definitely not a new one. I would even go as far as saying America is one of the least racist nations in the world today.
Perhaps. My point was that the fact that it is actually getting some formal recognition is unacceptable to some people.

I lived in the U.S. between 1989-1998 (age 7-16). Moved back to Germany until this June and now I have been back in the U.S. for a little over 4 months. The first thing that I noticed, is the permanent trashing from the media in this country… incompetent Obama here, racist cops there, bad Muslims everywhere. I understand that the U.S. has a record 10th straight year without 3% growth in GDP – but is this really surprising, with nations like China & India getting a larger share of the economic pie? A few days ago, I read an article in a major German newspaper Der Spiegel, titled “Obamas Wirtschaftswunder“ (Obama’s Economic Miracle -> http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/so...er-wirtschaftskrise-geholt-hat-a-1116544.html). I know we are more on the liberal side in Germany and you probably don't really care, but I still couldn’t imagine reading any similar article over here.

Looking at the stats, violent crimes are cut in half from when I lived here in the 90’s. Driving through my old neighborhoods and towns where I lived in, everything seems nicer and more modern. Almost all of my old high school buddies are living in houses, with big properties and happy families… of course these are just personal experiences, but I’m really having a hard time finding these ‘oh so horrible issues’ in real life in this country. People are talking about civil wars, people like Alex Jones have a huge following (who I consider has an extremely dangerous ideology), a complete lunatic without any political experience is about to receive 40% of the votes of Americans, with the slogan "Make America great again" because people are "fed up".

Bread and circuses are not enough in the Internet age? Would this be a bad thing?

We were still number 1 during most of your first stay but now it is clear our cycle of dominance is ending.
I'm okay with it as long as I am okay financially but this always happens in history. The English before us and after WWII had to transition to a lower status and we claimed the fiat currencey of the world.

Instead of growing pains, we are going through shrinking pains.

Back