Why do people dislike Woodley?!

salkyrie

Hat-trick hero
@Black
Reaction score
I think he is a very reasonable person and he always backs up what he feels like with guess what... reasonable arguments!

I get it, he ''whines too much'' but he is only looking for his own well-being and he is not a yes-man to Dana nor the UFC, the guy always fights the top contenders, he fought 4 times from July 2016 to 2017, and sure, the Maia fight wasn't a barnburner nor the Wonderboy rematch but if you listen to his podcast with Joe Rogan he explains what happens ..

a) Wonderboy is hard as hell to prepare for. He did what he could with his skillset, it took him months and a lot of money to prepare for him by bringing a lot of TKD and Karate guys. I respect so much the preparation that goes into a fight like that and the fact that striking-wise he had a lot less tools than WB and still won the fights.

b) He gets shit for the decision in the second WB fight, yeah well - to my eyes Robbie Lawler shouldn't have even been the champion in the first place (Hendricks beat him the second time too) nor have defended it vs. Condit (a robbery).

c) Previous to the Maia fight he said he didn't really use his left hand for power shots because of his chronically injured shoulder and during the fight he injured it to the point where he could only throw straight punches - so he played it safe because: he couldn't properly grapple with one arm, nor felt like pushing the striking, keeping the belt was the priority no matter what, I can't bash a dude for that.

d) In the Kelvin fight the guy missed weight by 10 lbs - safe to say he had an advantage over him, not because of the size (Tyron's a big guy himself) but the effort that takes to make the weight cut.

As a fight fan I empathize with the struggles of Tyron - the guy always prepares correctly for his opponents, puts the work in on FOX, takes his job seriously and is only looking to better his position and cement his legacy - he does everything a fighter is supposed to do.

Hey . . he's not as flashy as Conor, not as good of a trash talker, his style is boring many times, etc. but the fact that he's not that big of a star speaks about the problems of the sport - I'm not saying Conor should not be a star, but Woodley should be right up there as well - he's not owner of the traits we love about Conor but he does do everything we bash the Irishman for. In the podcast he comes across as self-conscious and salty but to me his openness towards everything and also the dedication against his opponents and the way he approaches at challenges from every possible angle is so fascinating and commendable. Try to appreciate the dude, I think the japanese crowds would love him.

He was real heavy on the racism shit a ways back. Lots of whining. Put on overly safe performances in the cage.

Seems to have toned down the racist stuff a tad in recent times.

I actually respect him as a champ overall, despite the boring performances. At least the guy stays busy, defends, and takes on top contenders.

In todays day & age, that's becoming the exception and not the rule.

It's a black day when people race to judgement. Dark times.

Go to the War Room, you'll see why.

He was real heavy on the racism shit a ways back. Lots of whining. Put on overly safe performances in the cage.

this is the most fair answer you're going to get. expect to get numerous less-well-intentioned variations of this answer.

Boring fighter with a boring personality who is constantly complaining about racism.

His first defense was a draw, he got a gift decision in his second defense and had one of the most boring fights ever in his third defense.

/thread

That kid that was bullied Michael Keaton had a father who was a white supremacist and Woodley does an 11 minute video as a message to him, I am not sure what it said but I bet his father does not know either like he was going to watch his video lol. If he acted the way he fought in most cases he would be fine but he is way to busy worrying about what everybody else is doing or getting.
He was seen in Rolls Royce then claiming he is not getting a fair shake lol I mean he steps in dog shit face first every time his mouth opens

woodley is a boring ass fighter who cant sell ppvs but yet complains about not getting big money fights. i cant stand fighters who want big money fights but yet cant sell ppvs because their boring AF! You would think they can understand why they arent getting big money fights smh

I actually respect him as a champ overall, despite the boring performances. At least the guy stays busy, defends, and takes on top contenders.

His fights are boring as hell...both his fights with wonderboy, aside from a few exciting minutes, were extremely boring..his fight with maia was god aweful...

He's a whiny race-baiter, that's why. Nobody wants to hear that shit, except other whiny race-baiters.

he bored me to death in the paul daley fight and i still haven't forgiven him for that

-cries about unfairness that's in his head. (when hes champ/plus commentator job)

-cries about phantom racism. (when people love jones/DC/rampage/kimbo)

-uses injures as leverage to get the fights he wants. (was going to fight nate with injury...mmmhmmm)

-only wants money fights.

-thinks everyone is out to get him.

-rory dominated woodley and maia which undermines his legitimacy. (imo)

-always backs-up in fights and considered boring by the masses.

-ridicules his fan base.

- is sometimes hostile with the media.

.... that's just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
The fair question would be why anyone would like Woodley

You can not have a GSP fight strategy without the GSP skin color and expect to be popular

The second he said something about racism people hated him. People have found ways to justify their hate, but a large segment of America wants black men to shut be quiet, even when they are right.

It's because he acts like he as cleared out a division (which he hasn't), deserves super fights (which he doesn't) and is an exciting fighter (which he hasn't been in recent fights).

And on top of all that he complains about not being promoted or respected and he thinks everything is racism.

Does that help answer your question???

Dude this is the biggest myth about Woodley... that he "stays busy". He doesn't stay busy at all. Yes, he fought 4 times in ~13 months, but everyone forgets Woodley took 18 months off before the Lawler fight. You know how many fighters could stay busy after 18 months off? He probably also didn't have a choice -- after that much time off, he needed to earn some cash.

Now Woodley is more financially secure and, surprise surprise, he hasn't fought in 6 months and has no scheduled fight in sight. And don't give me that BS about him having surgery -- he should have had his surgery back in SEPTEMBER. He just delayed it to waste time and have an excuse not to fight.

You can not have a GSP fight strategy without the GSP skin color and expect to be popular

Gsp and Tyron do not fight with the same strategy.

Do most people not question you when you play the race card or something? I don’t know how any fan of mma can make that claim.. please expand on your terrible post if you believe that.

Gsp and Tyron do not fight with the same strategy.

Do most people not question you when you play the race card or something? I don’t know how any fan of mma can make that claim.. please expand on your terrible post if you believe that.

Lol I just like to mention racial stuff on threads about Woodley. Its like a sherdog meme.

Back