Why did roller blading never stay big but skate boarding is still going strong?

Imalive

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As a kid I thought roller blading was the shit. I'm old enough to remember when they first came out. We never got into doing tricks and shit and i stopped rollerblading by the 9th grade but skating around the neighborhood and shit was fun. I had a skateboard in elementary school but it wasn't the kind like they had today, it was a Bruce Lee Nash with a plastic brake on the rear and only the back had a lip. We really only used it to sit on and go down hills.

Imo Rollerblading was much more fun than skatboarding. Outside of one gay joke I wonder why it never stayed relevant.

As a kid I thought roller blading was the shit. I'm old enough to remember when they first came out. We never got into doing tricks and shit and i stopped rollerblading by the 9th grade but skating around the neighborhood and shit was fun. I had a skateboard in elementary school but it wasn't the kind like they had today, it was a Bruce Lee Nash with a plastic brake on the rear and only the back had a lip. We really only used it to sit on and go down hills.

Imo Rollerblading was much more fun than skatboarding. Outside of one gay joke I wonder why it never stayed relevant.

i think your last sentence about sums it up.

Because rollerblading is gay.

small_DSC_9440_xs0bfi.jpg

I still play in a roller hockey league but wouldn't be caught dead outside fruitbooting

Because you can put a car in a skateboard:

Car-on-a-Skateboard-Optical-Illusion.jpg

I remember after watching the second mighty ducks movie and their rollerblading scene at the start, as soon as I got home I went to get my blades and go skating. I fell over and sucked but it was fun.

I don't think I would have bladed after 11-13 years old.

Jokes aside, blading is limited. There's so much much more that you can do on a skateboard. Flips and tricks etc..

Even the most basic shit looks cool to most people:

tumblr_ninf28a3Zo1t372dyo1_400.gif

Roller skating is gay, blading is not.
what is the actual difference? blade has 1 line of wheels and skate has 2? like those used by waitresses in some 80s style cantinas?

Also, I was never a skater, but I had friends that were and it was a real culture. Blading never really had that and the rollerbladers were always looked down upon by skaters, kicked out of skate parks for taking up space and whatnot.

what is the actual difference? blade has 1 line of wheels and skate has 2? like those used by waitresses in some 80s style cantinas?
yeah so they were always called inline skates right? its just what you said, the layout of the wheels is what makes them different. rollerskates had 4 weeks in the 2 by 2 layout and had those gay breaks on the front. the blades were 4 wheels in a single line.

Because it's just more fun to be balancing on a flat surface with something that could get away from you.

Fuck skate boarding. I fell off flying down a hill and grazed the skin completely off my ass cheeks. Because of a HOSE in the way.

Jokes aside, blading is limited. There's so much much more that you can do on a skateboard. Flips and tricks etc..

Even the most basic shit looks cool to most people:

tumblr_ninf28a3Zo1t372dyo1_400.gif
Skateboarding always seemed stupid to me. wheels attacked to your feet made more sense than standing on a piece of wood with wheels on it.

I used to do both. Rollerblading and skateboarding. Skateboarding is more dynamic. You can do more with a board and it's a lot harder too. I remember putting on my blade for the first time and just going and doing shit I had been doing with my board right away. I remember thinking how easy it was to pick up.

I lost interest in both. I wish I would have kept skating though. I used to do cool shit. I remember thinking man I suck. I really didn't suck that bad. There was a kid we used to skate with that went pro and My group of friends were tons better than him. I wanted to try and do that but my dad hated skateboarding and thought I was wasting my life. I couldn't leave my shitty little town to go compete in some big competitions. Well, anyway that is neither here nor there.

Skateboarding always seemed stupid to me. wheels attacked to your feet made more sense than standing on a piece of wood with wheels on it.

If your'e talking about just getting from A to B, then maybe.

Even then, if you wanted to get somewhere quickly, you can jump off of your skateboard and run over different terrains, run up stairs or jump over obstacles etc.. None of these are possible with skates attached to your feet. You'd have to take them off and put your regular footwear back on.

Skateboard wins again!

Back