Why did rock music die?

Gracious Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im not one of those hipsters or oldheads who complains about todays music. But one thing that bothers me is how rock is basically dead. Why did it have to happen? Rock music is such a damn good genre that has produced some incredible timeless gems. And I believe there is still more potential for rock to make great music. Rap, pop, r and b are all fine in my book but I would like to be able to get new and relevant rock music. But it seems impossible today. Why did they kill rock? WHY!!!!!

Im not one of those hipsters or oldheads who complains about todays music. But one thing that bothers me is how rock is basically dead. Why did it have to happen? Rock music is such a damn good genre that has produced some incredible timeless gems. And I believe there is still more potential for rock to make great music. Rap, pop, r and b are all fine in my book but I would like to be able to get new and relevant rock music. But it seems impossible today. Why did they kill rock? WHY!!!!!

And japanese girls are bringing it back...

Telecommunications Act of 1996 allowed record labels to purchase radio stations, essentially controlling what was “mainstream”. Solo pop, rap and country acts are easier to manage than 4 or 5 ego driven rock stars, where one bad argument could destroy your cash cow that you’ve invested in. It was a business decision by the labels to kill the genre’s popularity. It’s no coincidence that the last boom period for rock music was the early to mid 90’s.

It hasn't died. There is heaps of amazing new rock still, you're just not open to looking for it.
Which sites do you scour for new rock?

Telecommunications Act of 1996 allowed record labels to purchase radio stations, essentially controlling what was “mainstream”. Solo pop, rap and country acts are easier to manage than 4 or 5 ego driven rock stars, where one bad argument could destroy your cash cow that you’ve invested in. It was a business decision by the labels to kill the genre’s popularity. It’s no coincidence that the last boom period for rock music was the early to mid 90’s.

Pretty much, I mean, they figured out they could manufacture stars rather than discover them. They don't even need to be musicians really. Under the old paradigm a rock band was a collection of actual musicians that played instruments, sang, and wrote their own songs. You don't need any of that in this modern era, too much of a headache when you can use shadow writers for the music and auto tune for the singing and fuck the instruments, you don't need those either. What's really sad about it is the number of young music fans that seem to be blissfully unaware of what has happened. I'm not saying there aren't any really talented musicians and singers left, there are some, but not like it used to be and they are few and far between.

NOt doubting your conclusion about the telecommunications act but didn't rock have a good run in the late 90s to early 2000s?

bands like Limpbizkit, Lincoln Park, System of A Down, Creed, Nickleback, white stripes etc were selling millions while being played on MTV and mainstream radio and were household names.

For I really start to notice a sharp decline in rock somewhere around 2005

There's plenty out there, maybe you just need to look a bit more closely. I have a chat with about 3 metal head mates and we give each other the heads up about new and good stuff, that's how I stay current.

Its not dead man, its just not as popular... if you say you are not a complainer then you wouldnt say those things because you are basically complaining why its not as popular as it used to be!

Go find some rock bands if you say you are such a fan of rock, they are not just as popular but if you say you are such a fan (actually I dont think you are, you are just a complainer) then you can find a lot of new rock music on the internet

Everytime someone uses the term 'Oldhead' I immediately hope they contract Syphilis. I cringed and am embarrassed for you.

The same reason people don’t listen to even much better music anymore. Current rap and pop has been engineered to grab one’s attention top to bottom. Every frequency is turned up so that is sounds “good” on even the funniest earbuds, there’s no build up, every subtlety has been corrected in post. Same reason people go to McDonald’s.

Is 92.3 k rock still around? I remember they rebranded but still played rock music last time I listened to the radio which was like 2005 @HHJ @Holic @weed

Short answer: demographics changes plus politics. I remember rap music being pushed in schools and the media before it became more widely popular.

NOt doubting your conclusion about the telecommunications act but didn't rock have a good run in the late 90s to early 2000s?

bands like Limpbizkit, Lincoln Park, System of A Down, Creed, Nickleback, white stripes etc were selling millions while being played on MTV and mainstream radio and were household names.

For I really start to notice a sharp decline in rock somewhere around 2005
Yeah that’s fair to say. I think that movement could be seen as them giving one last chance to sell rock music and there were great bands from that time but a lot of marketing gimmicks as well

Back