Why did Kimura and Carlson never fight?

Armhunter87

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just curious. Carlson was the family champion in the 1950s. After Kimura beat Helio, why was he not challenged by Carlson to defend the family name like he did with Waldamir Santana? Kimura and Carlson both grappled and had Vale To-do fights against Santana. Just curious if there was a reason why this never happened. Never seen it mentioned on here?

Probably because they figured Kimura would beat him too, so the best thing to do would just be to claim 'moral victory' for Helio instead and leave it at that.

Carlson was a teenager when he fought Santana, he was simply too young and green.

Santana may be between Kimura and Carlson in age. Kimura probably too old by the time Carlson came around.

Kimura flew back to Japan and stopped traveling

Nah, he was 23 years old the first time he fought Santana, right after Santana beat Helio.

If u are right carlson fought santana in 1955 at the age of 23, helio and kimura happened in 1951and carlson would have been 19. He would have been way to young and green.

Would have been a better match than Kimura - Helio. Carlson and Kimura had very similar philosophies about how to fight: get in great shape and steamroll people. Would have been epic, though I think Kimura would probably have won anyway. He just came up in a way more intense training environment than was available in Brazil at the time.

Would have been a better match than Kimura - Helio. Carlson and Kimura had very similar philosophies about how to fight: get in great shape and steamroll people. Would have been epic, though I think Kimura would probably have won anyway. He just came up in a way more intense training environment than was available in Brazil at the time.

Yep, I agree with everything you said. Carlson was a maniac that believed in smashing and always pushing for the kill. While at the same time he was still technically great. Helio, on the other hand with his passive style really never had a chance against a guy like Kimura who's strength and conditioning were so superior while also being technically superior standing and on the ground. I remember Helio said in a interview one time that going into the match he didn't think anybody in the world could have beaten Kimura, but he just wanted to see how he would fare, or something like that. He was probably right that there was probably nobody in the world that could have beaten Kimura in a submission grappling or JJ match at that time. Still, Carlson def would have been more intriguing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back