Why are these judges so reluctant to give 10-10 rounds?

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Man, the Matthews/Bojan fight was one of those where neither guy deserved to win or lose, and it looked like a 10-10 first, 10-9 Bojan second, and 10-9 Matthews third. Had some money on a draw that would have paid big, why is it so taboo to score a close round even in mma? There's so many split decisions and so often two judges will score rounds for the opposite fighter, is there some pressure on these guys to make up their mind for one fighter or the other and avoid draws at all costs?

What's the percentage of draws to split decisions in UFC? I wonder, because if you really think about it either one should be just as likely, close to 50/50, yet in reality it's more like 98/2.

<JagsKiddingMe>

I do agree that 10-10 rounds should be used more, but Bojan clearly won that fight.

I agree about more 10-10 rounds but Bojan clearly won first IMO

Been saying this for years.
10-10 rounds would be choice.

Wouldn't mind it. But these judges need way more classes. Seems like they got certified after watching one fight.

I was just about to bring this up but call them 9-9 rounds. Either way i agree that some rounds no one won and no one loss.

This isn’t in regars to Bojan v Matthewsfight though.

The judges are cowards lol just like the refs. Wouldn’t want to take a point and change things.

"These" judges?

Make that EVERY judge

Unless the round winner gets a point deducted.
judges still score the round on a ten point must basis, then they subtract one point after the fact. the point deduction is supposed to be impartial to the actual round scoring.

Why would you bet on a draw? May as well throw your money in the garbage.

You should only bet on a draw if you think Canelo is going to lose to GGG in Vegas.

You betted on a draw?
Ya, the odds were 51 to 1, every fight was going to split decision and so I put $5 on it, would have won $255.

But ya, in the end there was like 10 split decisions, but no judge will score it a draw.

"10 Must System"

“9 or less”

I always see 9.
Sometimes see 8.

Never seen 7 or less.
Why is there never a round that goes 10-6...or 10-2?

There are several numbers less than 9, besides 8.
If you give me some time I could name them for you.
Otherwise, it’s a 2 point must, not 10 point must.

Why would you bet on a draw? May as well throw your money in the garbage.
Well almost every fight last night went to split decision, so either one of them could have easily been called a draw, but mma judging is retarded.

Why bet on a draw? Cause the payout is huge.

Because the Commission is against it!
Draws are frowned upon as a cop-out reserved for untalanted judges. :(
Their idea is that judges must do everything they can to pick a winner, even if it's by the slightest of margins.

Quoting the executive director of the Nevada commission:
"If you're a top notch A+ judge, you should be able to decern, through the scoring criteria, who wins a fight.

Can a 10-10 round come up? Yes, but in the 3 years I've been the executive director we have not had a 10-10 round
[...]
I think it's important for the judges to be on top of their game and top able to pick a winner in that round. One effective strike or kick can determine who wins a round."

See the first 2 minutes of this Video: http://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/should-10-10-rounds-exist-in-mma

I think it's fucked up.
This means we will keep having rounds which are dead even, and all judges will basically just throw out a 10-9 at random, based on some insignificant detail.
Cause their boss is saying you're a bad judge if you do 10-10.

Last edited:
Back