Why are boxers happy to take shots to the top of the head?

CoolKnees

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've noticed that alot of boxers that use the high guard will protect the sides of their heads (or just the chin area) but leave the top open.

Example:

Canelo and GGG both do this and this is very common with other boxers too.

I know that the top is the hardest part of your head, but these guys get hit flush with jabs and straights. Does it not hurt / rock these guys? Is this a tolerance you build up over years of boxing?

Personally when I'm using the high guard and the other guy is hitting hard, I can still feel the shock transferring to me. Can't imagine just straight up absorbing it like these guys.

How do you figure they protect all parts of their face without blocking their own vision? You have to give in to something, in this case the top.

It's just natural instinct to protect the face. Also top of the head is illegal but you still get hit. It does less damage compared to other parts of the head. Your head doesn't swing, it's more stabilized with the chin tucked. When you cover up, you're basically protecting the chin and temple.

It's also easier to use head movement to get out of the way. If they can, they will dodge/block completely. But I guess if you must be hit, the top is better than any other parts.

Also, we're trained to tuck our chins so I guess our top of the head is a bit exposed thanks to this. IDK, how do you protect yourself when you're cornered? Do you stand tall and let them bang you?

I tuck my chin in and cover my whole face and head including the top.

It's just natural instinct to protect the face. Also top of the head is illegal but you still get hit. It does less damage compared to other parts of the head. Your head doesn't swing, it's more stabilized with the chin tucked. When you cover up, you're basically protecting the chin and temple.

It's also easier to use head movement to get out of the way. If they can, they will dodge/block completely. But I guess if you must be hit, the top is better than any other parts.

Also, we're trained to tuck our chins so I guess our top of the head is a bit exposed thanks to this. IDK, how do you protect yourself when you're cornered? Do you stand tall and let them bang you?

I tuck my chin in and cover my whole face and head including the top.

Top of the head is illegal?

If I absolutely must cover up I'll cover everything like Tito Ortiz, cause getting hit anywhere in the head hurts :/
hqdefault.jpg

If my opponent hits the top of my head rather than my chin, I consider that a success.

Opponent is much more likely to hurt their hand than they are to hurt my head when they hit me on the scalp like that.

Getting hit anywhere hurts; if you're trying to avoid that, don't... fight. But there's a lot less stuff to damage up there than anywhere else on the head, which is why people do it.

If you're struggling against a "boxer" type and can't manage to land while they are, its a fustrating feeling. Sometimes you will have to bait them by taking a hit to deliver a bomb.
In this case getting hit in the forehead to throw your heavy strike is a success like the poster above said. Its your forehead, not your chin or temple, you're not gonna take damage from that.

when in doubt use your head. works well against hands, not so good against elbows and superbly against faces. i started out boxing but i basically only use elbows and head butts when in scraps these days. it is frightening how much damage you can do with a head butt, i have a permanent lump on the crown from the last fucker i head butted and it was over a year ago.

heads are pretty hard objects, my elbow blew up like a football from elbowing someone on the top of the head a few times.

Its not the pain you block for.
i was watching your training video, and i like the way you throw those spinning back kicks with the capoeira style, great round kicks as well not turned over too much, more like an andy souwer style kick.

If you cover up like Tito without moving your feet you’re gonna get KO’d like Tito. It’s the punch you don’t see coming that really hurts.

Golovkin absorbed those shots well, but you know he got fucked up.

Kellerman: Did you think you did enough to win the fight?

Golovkin: Max.... Look my belts

Maybe I'm a tough guy but I have never felt pain from punches or kicks to the chin. It's an intrusive feeling but painful it is not

Top of the head is illegal?

If I absolutely must cover up I'll cover everything like Tito Ortiz, cause getting hit anywhere in the head hurts :/
hqdefault.jpg

It's not illegal I don't know why he said that.

You can't protect your whole head and even less so if you try to protect at least some of your bdoy at the same time. Golovkin here gave up the top of his head because it's hard to get hurt by punches against it. Also Canelo was throwing uppercuts and putting your guard lower makes it easier to block them if you put your gloves up high uppercuts go through your forearms.

He also adjusted it while he was getting hit. In other fights and/or moments he was having his gaurd higher. it just depends on what kind of punches your opponents throws. Some punches will always get through so your adjust your guard to the highest % of punches if only like 10% go to the top of your head you give it the least importance.

Canelo often does that against the ropes I think he holds it lower there a.) to see punches comign better and counter well and b.) because when he is against the ropes his opponents and Golovkin espeically go to the body more so he lowers his gaurd to catch bdoy punches more easily.

Your guard is alwas active and need sto be adjusted to the situation

This gif of Tito is from when he got TKod for a reason.
Obviously he had smaller loves to work with but also his feet were squared and against the cage so he had no way of moving or punching back, the way he holds his hands and with his elbows miles infront of him away from his body makes him the perfect target for uppercuts and knees, his body isn't protected either, he seems to be looking down and away from Chuck so he cant defend or attack and doesnt the punches coming.

Also unlike Golovkin or Canelo he didnt adjust his guard while trying to defend it was a shit guard anyway witht he way he stood and in that situation but he just froze and did nothing

Yeah you shouldn't cover up like Tito does here against any competent striker especially not against the ropes/cage

Least superficial damage. Thickest part of the skull. Can break opponent's hand. You can take it and be in position to counter.

Golovkin absorbed those shots well, but you know he got fucked up.

Kellerman: Did you think you did enough to win the fight?

Golovkin: Max.... Look my belts

I mean, they landed, but Golovkin hasn't really been "fucked up" by a punch, yet. He seems to take them well enough and keep coming. The interview piece that you are referencing is undoubtedly more of a translation piece between the two than anything else. Golovkin has never been fluent with English, but good enough to get by.

I mean, they landed, but Golovkin hasn't really been "fucked up" by a punch, yet. He seems to take them well enough and keep coming. The interview piece that you are referencing is undoubtedly more of a translation piece between the two than anything else. Golovkin has never been fluent with English, but good enough to get by.
Yeah even though he takes them well, they are still landing. I thought he won on scoring but definitely lost on overall damage.

Back