Why a "Masters" Division is ridiculous.

It's just a dumb marketing thing that people eat up. You can match up two past prime vets without calling it a master's division, like Couture/Coleman. Just match them up appropriately (if they should even be allowed to fight in the first place) instead of pandering.

Exactly. I don't mind watching 2 washed up guys trying to fight if I don't feel one of them will be killed. we can have these fights without the need of a division. creating a division for it just seems counter productive. Lets just give these guys the extra 1-4 fights they want and call it a day.

It's a fight, obviously there are matchmaking involved to avoid mismatches, or if there would be a missmatch it's not like there aren't missmatches anyways.
If Ken shamrock signs a contract to fight Jon Jones and jonea alos signs then what is the problem if they both agree? Because ita a missmatch? There are missmatches all the time and even worse in boxing

What if you gave fighters post 40 an option? You can fight in the masters division or the regular division. If you opt to fight in Masters, then you give up your right to fight in the regular division permantly. That way guys who still have some muster (Fedor, Werdum etc) aren't likely to give up their chance to compete at the elite level, while the Shamrock, Miletich and Royces whom are willing to a knowledge they are past their primes can compete in the masters.

Got no problem with this. A better idea would be to just have them fight lower level young guys. Sure Saku got beat by a top 20 LW in a WW fight but what of he fought a WW in about the #450-500 range?

If the legend wins than they just get another a feather in their cap and the defeated prospect is still more famous because of it (like Jaideep).

If the prospect wins than they get an epic boost from beating the legend.

I like the Idea of a masters division. But there needs to be a cut off. I don't think it should be based on age either. Maby generation based. I don't want to see yesterdays generation beating up on the generation of fighters before them. For example I don't want to see a guy like Matt Hughes beating up a guy like Ken Shamrock. I have no problem with Ken vs Royce or Matt Hughes vs. Sean Sherk fights being made in a "masters division".

Yes I know Hughes and Royce fought before but look what happened. It just highlights my point.

I am more interested in watching a couple old school badasses lace up the gloves against one another in a more evenly matched fight than I am in watching the UFC method of sticking those old guys in the ring with young killers.

I like Royce Gracie. That guy inspired millions of people to take up martial arts. In my opinion, he is like the Bruce Lee of his generation. If he wants to fight again, and Bellator is willing to show his fight, I'm down.

It's a fight, obviously there are matchmaking involved to avoid mismatches, or if there would be a missmatch it's not like there aren't missmatches anyways.
If Ken shamrock signs a contract to fight Jon Jones and jonea alos signs then what is the problem if they both agree? Because ita a missmatch? There are missmatches all the time and even worse in boxing

It has been 2 years since you posted this and I still can't believe you would be okay with seeing Jon Jones vs Ken Shamrock lol

You don't need a division to do this. Just two old guys that want to fight. Chuck and Tito was dumb because there's a world of difference between 43 and active and 48 and CTE'd.

But they could match up his with similar ages or ability and it would be interesting.

If they did Tito vs Hendo or Vitor then it could be fun.

If Ken shamrock still wants to fight then put him in there with cm punk.

If sakuraba wants to fight then let him fight militech.

You don't need a special division to get these fights.

You don't need a division to do this. Just two old guys that want to fight. Chuck and Tito was dumb because there's a world of difference between 43 and active and 48 and CTE'd.

But they could match up his with similar ages or ability and it would be interesting.

If they did Tito vs Hendo or Vitor then it could be fun.

If Ken shamrock still wants to fight then put him in there with cm punk.

If sakuraba wants to fight then let him fight militech.

You don't need a special division to get these fights.

See i agree with this. but I don't agree with an actual division. just make good matchups. I don't see a need for a special masters division or title. just let these guys fight guys in their own skill level.

I can't think of anyone in a position of influence that has ever posited this as a realistic thing? It's just idle forum chat. You don't really need to deconstruct forum gossip in such lengthy detail, it's never going to happen for reasons that are clear and obvious to everyone (brought into even sharper focus since Saturday)

For all the crap he put into the world, you can’t fault Dana for forcing Chuck to retire. These athletes often need to be protected from themselves, but too often, their fans and their coaches share the “just bleed” mentality.

If you don’t mind MMA forever staying a niche thing then sure why not? Just be honest and say you’re a fan of the freak shows and couldn’t care less about the integrity of the sport and it’s fighters.

These fights are entertaining for all the wrong reasons. If garbage like Ken vs Royce and Chuck vs Tito happening in this day and age doesn’t dissuade you, than nothing will. Sometimes fighters have to be saved from themselves and their so called “fans” who want to see them brutalized in their mid-to-late 40s, over 50.

Last edited:
It has been 2 years since you posted this and I still can't believe you would be okay with seeing Jon Jones vs Ken Shamrock lol

I hobesntly dont even remember, looking at it now it does seem a bit weird i agree.

But i think i was trying to say that tr foundation of prize figthing isnt always to see a competitive fight but a good show and both fighters get paid, one has the chance to pad his record further and the other to shock the world.

I'm all for older guys fighting but only like a grappling only type of format.

If they absolutely have to strike, then make it open hand only strikes and no kicks to the head. Stuff like that. I'd watch that, and the older guys could still do that.

Back