who's the best super group?

Yardbirds

Clapton
Page
Beck
they don't count Clapton wasn't that well known when he joined them and left before they got too big by the time they had their first top song he was gone due to the fact he didn't want to play pop music. When "For Your Love" got into the top ten Clapton was already gone and Jeff Beck was in. Out of those three the only one who had any sort of fame before joining the band was Page due to his session work.

Down is a good one too atleast for Heavy Metal / Hard Rock

I can't believe I almost forgot about Mad Season

Temple of the Dog was awesome, catharsis for Cornell and it showed.

Temple of the Dog was awesome, catharsis for Cornell and it showed.

Dude, I went to Lollapalooza in1992, I think it was, and saw Soundgarden and Pearl Jam at Irvine Meadows. I went on day one. On day three, Temple of the Dog formed and played. I was happy to see such an epic concert, but I was bummed to have missed the dawg.

they don't count Clapton wasn't that well known when he joined them and left before they got too big by the time they had their first top song he was gone due to the fact he didn't want to play pop music. When "For Your Love" got into the top ten Clapton was already gone and Jeff Beck was in. Out of those three the only one who had any sort of fame before joining the band was Page due to his session work.

The movie Blow-up features a pretty rare performance with both Beck and Page.

It's Cream and then everyone else.

Got me wondering what Jack Bruce & Ginger Baker were doing before Cream. Crazy story from wikipedia:

"By July 1966, Eric Clapton's career with the Yardbirds and John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers had earned him a reputation as the premier blues guitarist in Britain.[18] Clapton, however, found the environment of Mayall's band confining, and sought to expand his playing in a new band. In 1966, Clapton met Ginger Baker, then the leader of the Graham Bond Organisation, which at one point featured Jack Bruce on bass guitar, harmonica and piano. Baker felt stifled in the Graham Bond Organisation and had grown tired of Graham Bond's drug addictions and bouts of mental instability. "I had always liked Ginger", explained Clapton. "Ginger had come to see me play with the Bluesbreakers. After the gig he drove me back to London in his Rover. I was very impressed with his car and driving. He was telling me that he wanted to start a band, and I had been thinking about it too."

Each was impressed with the other's playing abilities, prompting Baker to ask Clapton to join his new, then-unnamed group. Clapton immediately agreed, on the condition that Baker hire Bruce as the group's bassist;[3] according to Clapton, Baker was so surprised at the suggestion that he almost crashed the car.[20] Clapton had met Bruce when the bassist/vocalist briefly played with the Bluesbreakers in November 1965;[3][21] the two also had recorded together as part of an ad hoc group dubbed Powerhouse (which also included Steve Winwood and Paul Jones). Impressed with Bruce's vocals and technical prowess, Clapton wanted to work with him on an ongoing basis.

In contrast, while Bruce was in Bond's band, he and Baker had been notorious for their quarrelling.[22] Their volatile relationship included on-stage fights and the sabotage of one another's instruments.[22] After Baker fired Bruce from the band, Bruce continued to arrive for gigs; ultimately, Bruce was driven away from the band after Baker threatened him at knifepoint.[23]

Baker and Bruce put aside their differences for the good of Baker's new trio, which he envisioned as collaborative, with each of the members contributing to music and lyrics. The band was named "Cream", as Clapton, Bruce, and Baker were already considered the "cream of the crop" amongst blues and jazz musicians in the exploding British music scene."

Got me wondering what Jack Bruce & Ginger Baker were doing before Cream. Crazy story from wikipedia:

"By July 1966, Eric Clapton's career with the Yardbirds and John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers had earned him a reputation as the premier blues guitarist in Britain.[18] Clapton, however, found the environment of Mayall's band confining, and sought to expand his playing in a new band. In 1966, Clapton met Ginger Baker, then the leader of the Graham Bond Organisation, which at one point featured Jack Bruce on bass guitar, harmonica and piano. Baker felt stifled in the Graham Bond Organisation and had grown tired of Graham Bond's drug addictions and bouts of mental instability. "I had always liked Ginger", explained Clapton. "Ginger had come to see me play with the Bluesbreakers. After the gig he drove me back to London in his Rover. I was very impressed with his car and driving. He was telling me that he wanted to start a band, and I had been thinking about it too."

Each was impressed with the other's playing abilities, prompting Baker to ask Clapton to join his new, then-unnamed group. Clapton immediately agreed, on the condition that Baker hire Bruce as the group's bassist;[3] according to Clapton, Baker was so surprised at the suggestion that he almost crashed the car.[20] Clapton had met Bruce when the bassist/vocalist briefly played with the Bluesbreakers in November 1965;[3][21] the two also had recorded together as part of an ad hoc group dubbed Powerhouse (which also included Steve Winwood and Paul Jones). Impressed with Bruce's vocals and technical prowess, Clapton wanted to work with him on an ongoing basis.

In contrast, while Bruce was in Bond's band, he and Baker had been notorious for their quarrelling.[22] Their volatile relationship included on-stage fights and the sabotage of one another's instruments.[22] After Baker fired Bruce from the band, Bruce continued to arrive for gigs; ultimately, Bruce was driven away from the band after Baker threatened him at knifepoint.[23]

Baker and Bruce put aside their differences for the good of Baker's new trio, which he envisioned as collaborative, with each of the members contributing to music and lyrics. The band was named "Cream", as Clapton, Bruce, and Baker were already considered the "cream of the crop" amongst blues and jazz musicians in the exploding British music scene."
Ginger has this documentary that shows more of that relationship between Ginger and Bruce. For two guys who seemed to dislike each other they worked each other alot.

subjective as fuck just like so many other topics/questions...

define "super group" anyways... can artists start out as a "super group?" do artists start elsewhere then join together to form a "super group," and/orrrr?

crosby, stills, nash and young is a group to mention by the way if not already done so.

I can't believe I almost forgot about Mad Season

What I came here for. All met in rehab. One very good album. Great story. If you were a somebody in the 90s, you had this tape/CD.

What I came here for. All met in rehab. One very good album. Great story. If you were a somebody in the 90s, you had this tape/CD.
they did a re-issue of Above a few years back with extra songs on it where Mark Lanegen sings lead I picked that one up too.

Audioslave and Velvet Revolver were the first two that came to mind for me.

Has to be Audioslave

The first album was legitimately as good or close to anything Soundgarden or Rage Against The Machine did. That says a lot with work like Superunknown and Evil Empire. That can’t be said about most other supergroups relative to their bands of origin

Here is one for the ages..

Elvis Presley
Carl Perkins
Jerry Lee Lewis
Johnny Cash

If you haven't heard of Carl Perkins, google that man!

Has to be Audioslave

The first album was legitimately as good or close to anything Soundgarden or Rage Against The Machine did. That says a lot with work like Superunknown and Evil Empire. That can’t be said about most other supergroups relative to their bands of origin
One of the best concerts I ever saw. Audioslave Rose Garden 2005.

audioslave_zps27b2215b.jpg

Ginger has this documentary that shows more of that relationship between Ginger and Bruce. For two guys who seemed to dislike each other they worked each other alot.

when this released I was excited, my buddy didn't understand why I love Ginger on a set.

Brockhampton

Cream

Audioslave

Velvet Revolver.

I was about to rage and post a few band then realize they didn't fit at all lol

Back