Whoa- Significant strikes landed by Max Holloway

3) Never has any intention of engaging in any grappling at all. Strikes at distance are what count as "significant strikes", and the vast majority of Max's time in the Octagon is in these scenarios (that's a testament to his great takedown defense as well)

Wait what? I have never read that "significant strikes" are only strikes from a distance. I don't think that's true. Please provide source thanks.

Wait what? I have never read that "significant strikes" are only strikes from a distance. I don't think that's true. Please provide source thanks.
Sorry to clarify- What I meant is that they are primarily strikes at distance. Significant strikes are defined as "all strikes at distances and power strikes in the clinch or on the ground". Any strike landed at distance is considered a significant strike. Whereas strikes landed elsewhere are subjective as to whether or not they'll be counted as significant strikes, and if you look at the stats, it seems that a a large percentage of ground strikes are not considered significant strikes.

This thread is a perfect example of users on this forum going out of their way to hate on fighters rather than appreciate their accomplishments. Is normal.

You can lead without being hit as much as max has been. That dude is gonna crash and burn young. Gonna be bad for him in his 50's
He's already old enough that he's not going to crash and burn young, but I think you're spot on about how Holloway's 50s are going to be. He absorbs a ridiculous number of strikes per fight; the 76 absorbed in the Allen fight is the lowest total of his past ten fights, over which he's averaging 133 significant strikes absorbed per fight. That too has got to be some kind of ridiculously impossible to beat record.

Pretty sure that Max also absorbed more significant strikes in 1 fight than GSP did across the majority of his title reign
In the third Volkanovski fight, Max absorbed more significant strikes (199) than GSP did over his first 20 UFC fights (197). Shields and Hendricks are the only fights where GSP absorbed more than 41significant stikes, and Hendricks is the only fight where he was significantly damaged by strikes.

In the third Volkanovski fight, Max absorbed more significant strikes (199) than GSP did over his first 20 UFC fights (197). Shields and Hendricks are the only fights where GSP absorbed more than 41significant stikes, and Hendricks is the only fight where he was significantly damaged by strikes.

What about the head kick from Condit or the jabs from BJ that bloodied him up? What about the Serra punch that lead to his TKO? GSP was damaged by strikes in more fights than just the one vs Hendricks.

Cool stat. Thanks, TS!

Would there be a stat or way to find who leads the UFC in “insignificant” strikes?

Yeah you just look at the "total strikes landed" and subtract the significant strikes number from it for each UFC bout and add them all up. To he honest, most significant strikes are insignificant ones though and in some fights they just count every strike landed as a significant one. It's screwy.

This thread is a perfect example of users on this forum going out of their way to hate on fighters rather than appreciate their accomplishments. Is normal.
Serious question, how long ago did Holloway abandon sparring during camp? Doesn't that somewhat soften the potential long term effects of the total damage he receives throughout his career? If getting struck in the head repeatedly during a sanctioned fight is a negative, then abstaining from sparring during camp would have to equalize the cumulative damage some what. I've always wondered if that was the reasoning behind the decision.

Serious question, how long ago did Holloway abandon sparring during camp? Doesn't that somewhat soften the potential long term effects of the total damage he receives throughout his career? If getting struck in the head repeatedly during a sanctioned fight is a negative, then abstaining from sparring during camp would have to equalize the cumulative damage some what. I've always wondered if that was the reasoning behind the decision.

He stopped sparring before the second Volkanovski fight. I'm sure in the long run it'll help a bit, but he has absorbed a lot of strikes. It doesn't seem to have effected his chin a ton. He ate some big shots in the third Volkanovski fight as well and the thing that changed the fight the most - outside of Volk's skill level - was that huge cut.

Max has landed more significant strikes in his career than any other UFC fighter and its NOT even close! In Max’s UFC career he has landed a total of 3,366 strikes and 3,122 of those are categorized as “significant” equating to 93% of his strikes being significant ones. Max is nasty!

1. Max Holloway - 3,122 significant strikes landed.

2. Frankie Edgar - 1,801
3. Joanna J. - 1,754
3. Angela Hill - 1,754
5. Donald Cerrone - 1,748
6. RDA - 1,716
7. Dustin Poirier - 1,623
8. Michael Bisping - 1,567
9. Nate Diaz - 1,544
10. Jessica Andrade - 1,515

Crazy. The significance ratio makes sense since he’s virtually never in the clinch or on the ground. And he’s typically in long fights. But that’s still a ridiculous number.

What about the head kick from Condit or the jabs from BJ that bloodied him up? What about the Serra punch that lead to his TKO? GSP was damaged by strikes in more fights than just the one vs Hendricks.
There's damage in the sense of damage that can change the course of a fight, and there's damage in the sense of potentially career or life altering damage. My point was meant to be that Holloway has suffered a lot more of the latter than GSP ever did.

Back