Who should profit from automation?

So perhaps someone with a better tech education can help me out here.

If we have a quantum computer, isn't it just a matter of time, before we can write code that isn't binary, before we see revolutionary computational speed increases?

If that is so, when combined with machine learning, aren't we at the cusp of a super intelligence?

Once that happens, what job is safe?

To be clear, I'm not talking about 10 or even 20 years to a super intelligence, but I certainly don't think 30 years away is crazy. As chaotic as automation will be, combined with a superintelligence, we are talking about the end of labor, and being limited only by raw material in resource scarcity.

You *could* program in hexadecimal already.

I'd say the people who build the automation should and will profit. Automation is a bigger up front cost to save money in the longer term, and most businesses fail in less time than they would benefit, so it's probably not worth it for smaller businesses. The cost of switching to phone automation was pretty much instant savings, and most people much prefer talking to a real person over a robot, so we'll have to see how it affects business for places that switch to automation vs having actual people.

I actually didn't realize until fairly recently how many people drive for a living, so truck drivers and cabbies etc will probably get it the worst.

I have knowledge through business deals that universities will patent, usually with joint ownership with the faculty/staff member who created the item or process, and license the use of the patent for profit. The missing piece is all the research that fails to produce anything of monetary value.

@VivaRevolution *is* a communist.

Anyways, in a perfect world, automation would benefit all and everything would be free, and rainbows would be produced for everyone. Truth is, someone has to pay for the upkeep and maintence, the initial cost, the actual action side of getting it done.

Get a robotics engineering degree or become a security guard real fast, because those guys are going to be doing most of the human work in stores.

On average, that's roughly per capita what a single individual makes in my town.

Na, communists believe government should own the means of production. I think the workers should.

Whoever invested the money, time and work to make it work.
Damn right.

Too bad for the dumbshits whose jobs are so low level that they're easily replaced by robots who don't have bad attitudes.

You *could* program in hexadecimal already.

Would that maximize its power though?

From my own reasoning, by having a computer that can read 1, 0, and 1/0, you need a new construct for programming. I kind of envision it as if the x-axis is 1, the y-axis is 0, then the z-axis is 1/0.

We need programming that goes from 2 dimensional linear constructs, to 3 dimensional constructs.

Who bought the machine? That guy.

Why?

What value does that guy have, other then that he has money?

Why not just cut out the middle man, and give all the profits to the banks, who actually control the capital?

giphy.webp

Profit should go to however has the ability to pirate said tech, and just copy the machines themselves instead of paying other people for it.

Big Corps or inventors can only profit if they have control over their invention, and they can only do this if they enforce their patent laws. For that they will need an army of robots to do that. If they cannot invent good enough robots then whoever they hire can demand whatever they want.

If you're asking who is likely to benefit, that's one question. The stock market is a leading indicator on that, as it is with the general economy. Semiconductor manufacturers are reaping benefits right now.

If you're asking who "should" benefit morally, that's an age old philosophical question we won't be able to answer in this thread. And one that doesn't really matter in a free society.

If you want to know who WILL benefit in any society with the capacity to control 'who benefits from what', the answer is: those in power.

If you're asking who is likely to benefit, that's one question. The stock market is a leading indicator on that, as it is with the general economy. Semiconductor manufacturers are reaping benefits right now.

If you're asking who "should" benefit morally, that's an age old philosophical question we won't be able to answer in this thread. And one that doesn't really matter in a free society.

If you want to know who WILL benefit in any society with the capacity to control 'who benefits from what', the answer is: those in power.

If the markets are good indicators, then bitcoin's 1600% explosion in the last year should be worrying to all. Seems investors would rather own 1's and 0's than a government backed bond, or currency. Seems investors are betting on unrest.

If the markets are good indicators, then bitcoin's 1600% explosion in the last year should be worrying to all. Seems investors would rather own 1's and 0's than a government backed bond, or currency. Seems investors are betting on unrest.

There's some truth to that.

I don't think people have a lot of faith in the government's management of money. I mean just look at the rising US debt, and both the democrats and republicans unwillingness to decrease spending. I think people understand our trajectory is not sustainable. (in my opinion, it's only sustainable so long as the dollar is the world's reserve currency)

But since bitcoin is so new, it's unclear how many owners of bitcoin actually think it's going to replace fiat currency, and how many of them just bought it because it's rising in value.

But since bitcoin is so new, it's unclear how many owners of bitcoin actually think it's going to replace fiat currency, and how many of them just bought it because it's rising in value.
Or how many of them just want cheap drugs in the mail.

I don’t disagree with you, but bitcoin is a bad example.

The reason it’s skyrocketed in value like that is because a frenzy of speculators are feeding the pyramid, not because of its perceived value as a currency.

I don’t disagree with you, but bitcoin is a bad example.

The reason it’s skyrocketed in value like that is because a frenzy of speculators are feeding the pyramid, not because of its perceived value as a currency.

That is part of it, but you need to ask why speculators think it is a good bet, over the US dollar.

Look at Yemen right now. You cant buy anything, unless you have bitcoin currency.

Bitcoin is pretty complicated though. Ransom ware plays a big role in bitcoin's rise as well.

I think the majority of the speculators are dummies who don’t know jack shit about what it is or what it does, they’re just jumping on the train to a quick buck.
But hey.. if they’re making that quick buck without having to lift a finger or know anything , who am I to call them dummies?

That is part of it, but you need to ask why speculators think it is a good bet, over the US dollar.

Look at Yemen right now. You cant buy anything, unless you have bitcoin currency.

Bitcoin is pretty complicated though. Ransom ware plays a big role in bitcoin's rise as well.

Back