Who should get the next Welterweight title shot?

Who should get the next Welterweight title shot?

• Total voters

johncola

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For me it depends on timing.

I'm fine with a Condit rematch. I don't know if he even wants it, but I think he could be persuaded. There are other options though...

The winner of the Johny Hendricks / Stephen Thompson fight (February 6) should be in a good position, but it depends how the fight goes.

I don't mind Demian Maia getting the shot.

I don't know when the Rory MacDonald / Hector Lombard fight is happening, but it seems March is now the earliest possible time, which is relatively far away.

Nobody mentions Matt Brown but he'd have beaten Hendricks had Johny chose to fight, and Brown's first fight with Lawler was great. However he hasn't fought since UFC 189 so he should have to fight again.

I don't get why people consider Tyron Woodley for a title shot. He'll have been out for well over a year, only has a 2-fight streak including a split decision, and was soundly beaten by Rory only 3 fights ago.

Albert Tumenov has the joint-longest win streak in the division at 5, along with Wonderboy and Robbie Lawler. But he's young and should climb the ladder. There's also Benson Henderson, Neil Magny, and Stun Gun Kim.

Edit:
I did think about including GSP and Diaz, but I settled on just leaving them in "other" because they aren't very realistic options.

GSP might decide not to return at all. If he does, it could be a long way away. Also, he might just want big money special fights like vs Anderson Silva.

Nick Diaz is technically still suspended for 4 years or so. The suspension will probably be reduced, but that's something that'll take time. The rumors were that he could return as early as late summer IIRC, which is perhaps too late to get a title shot as the champ would have to take a long layoff.

Last edited:
Condit/Lawler rematch. Maia/Woodley for the clear-cut next contender.

I absolutely HATE Instant title rematches, I have spoken out against them MANY times on this board myself, and protest cain, ronda, weidman, and aldo getting rematches.

But, much like shogun vs Machida I feel a rematch is appropriate given the incredibly large disparity mman fans, and the media have about who actually did enough to win this fight.

Condit should have never gotten the title shot in the first place. He has now lost 4 of his last 6 fights. He did fight the best of the best in his last 6, but one of his loses was to Woodley. I think the title shot should go to Thompson if he beats Hendricks, Maia, or Woodley.

Woodley

Rory didn't get a rematch and his fight was fight of the year plus he was winning on every scorecard before he got finished.

So did Cain and GSP.

People make mistakes and lose fights they should have won all the time.
Those fights were not controversial.

GSP didn't get a rematch, he had to fight kos and Huges

Cain didn't either, he had to fight bigfoot.

Unless we're talking about his recent loss to werdum that he's getting a rematch for, because he absolutely does not deserve that opportunity to begin with.

Those fights were not controversial.

GSP didn't get a rematch, he had to fight kos and Huges

Cain didn't either, he had to fight bigfoot.

Unless we're talking about his recent loss to werdum that he's getting a rematch for, because he absolutely does not deserve that opportunity to begin with.

What? The guy I quoted didn't say anything about controversy...

He just mentioned getting finished as a reason for not getting a rematch.

Condit is the best fighter ever to have lost 4 out of 6. I say he beats both Hendricks and Woodley in 5 rounds fights, and without knee injuries. I say he's even with Robbie, if not a robbery, and GSP is GOAT 'nuff said.

sick of instant rematches, maybe if they didn't have rematch for every title fight ever I wouldn't be so against it. Yes, i thought Condit won, No he should not get an instant rematch.

The correct answer here is Matt Brown.

Condit should probably earn a title shot next time, he has 2 wins in his last 6 fights....

They were the former champions getting rematches after losing their belts. Rory has never held the belt before, was the challenger going into the fight with Robbie and he got finished (which means no argument for a bad decision/controversy). He didn't deserve an instant rematch.

Anyway. I wouldn't really mind Condit getting an instant rematch if I'm being honest, a lot of people are giving him the fight (I was personally torn on it) so it's fair enough. I don't see why Woodley would have been promised a shot though. If Woodley deserves a shot, Maia deserves it more on the strength of his current 4 fight win streak and activity. Woodley hasn't fought since January of 2015 and that was a split decision over Gastelum. He doesn't deserve a title shot right now.

Hendricks I could see if he gets past Thompson, MacDonald if he gets past Lombard. Can't really see giving Thompson a title fight even with a win over Hendricks, though, but Lombard beating MacDonald could present himself as a contender. Brown is about on par with Wonderboy at this point as well, as far as a title shot is concerned. Not totally out of the picture but there are several guys I have ahead of him at the moment.

So, would group them up something like: Condit, Maia, Hendricks (with a win over Thompson) > MacDonald (with a win over Lombard) > Maia, Lombard (with a win over MacDonald) > Woodley > Thompson (with a win over Hendricks), Brown

And with that in mind, I'd give the shot to Condit and put Maia in a contenders fight with Hendricks (if he wins) or Woodley (if Hendricks doesn't win). The rest can be split up accordingly.

Yeah, exactly.....

getting finished means you don't get a rematch because it's non controversial and the fight ended decisively.

Yeah, exactly.....

getting finished means you don't get a rematch because it's non controversial and the fight ended decisively.

So if a guy is leading 5-0 then gets finished with 1 punch/submission in the last couple of minutes then it was decisive?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back