Who saw Garry Tonon's MMA debut?

MileHigher

AKA Mile-Hybrid
@Brown
Reaction score
Garry Tonnon just had his first MMA fight and had a dominant performance that makes me think he has serious potential. If his striking can develop to anywhere approaching average by UFC standards, he could be a real problem in my opinion...Thoughts? Intriguing or no big deal?

Garry Tonon looked fantastic, probably the best debut ever from such a pure BJJ athlete. If he continues with it, he could be a PROBLEM; he understands how important it is to strike, and also use gnp. He reminded me of Khabib with some of his ground work... using tripods to gnp, then pass, then gnp... intelligent to understand the typical BJJ approach is not a good one.

I believe Garry Tonon, along with eventually Gordon Ryan will start a whole new wave of BJJ players in MMA... they're laying the blueprint..

oh and don't forget the most important piece of all

GSP-John-Danaher-1199540.jpg

Yeah, he really impressed me. I'd still like to give him a while before he gets to the UFC, maybe let him get another 5 or 6 wins under his belt and he'll be UFC ready imo. It gives him enough time to adapt his grappling to MMA, generally just work on wrestling, and smooth out his striking because as impressive as he looked his kicks were pretty poor. I'd like to see him train with Edgar and Barboza, I'm sure that would do great for his striking.

Back