Who is the best one dimensional guy with the biggest gap between their best and worst skill in UFC?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Obviously all mma fighters train and do a little bit of everything, but clearly a few guys are real experts in their area alone, while lacking quality in other arts. Here are some examples:

Maia - this is my #1 choice, he´s BJJ is from a different world, the best we´ve seen inside the UFC but his striking is absolute crap.

Conor - great striker but his ground skills are bad. The fact most of his losses were by submission says a lot. But I just don´t think his ground game sucks as bad as Maia´s striking.
n2itme.gif

Wonderboy - definetely an expert in his karate style... I´m not sure about his grappling and ground game, so maybe someone here could shed a light. He trained with Weidman so maybe it´s not as bad as I think and the fact he survived that Woodley Guillotine after he landed that bomb is a good sign that perhaps he shouldn´t be on this list. What do you guys think? Is Wonderboy really one dimensional?
tumblr_ogknkvVFUR1vu6duzo7_500.gif

Barboza - Explosive striker with vicious power. But his ground game is bad and he´s been finished on the ground a few times, not showing good defense.

Khabib - An awesome wrestler. Although he had a KO victory in the ufc, his hands are crappy.
Nurmagomedov1.gif

Any other examples of great one dimensional guys with a huge gap between their best and worst skills???

Thoughts???

Maia is the first guy that comes to mind. A couple others:

Platinum is all stand up - not much to offer on the ground.
Hunt's ground game is horrible.
Sonnen's stand up is awful.

Chael Sonnen. Only wrestling.

Has no hands. Short reach. Weak chin. No heart.

Maia has very good wrestling divorced from his ground fighting ability.

I guess it depends on how you are classifying "dimensions".

Not currently in the UFC but it has to be between:
.Jake Shields; or
.Royce Gracie.

Cindy Dandois, good ground game and horrific striking.

lol. Barboza has been submitted twice, once while hurt the other by ferg. Hardly a shit ground game.

One of the best TDD in the division, at worst top 5 best defensive wrestling.

Conor's ground game is hardly shit either. He's only been submitted in the UFC by Nate and won two belts

Jacare Souza. He is a very very stiff striker with nothing, but an overhand right and the occasional low kick. His wrestling is okay, it works against most low level MWs and those who don't have good defense (Mousasi).

His grappling is so good though. Most guys can't survive a round with him on top of them.

Maia is the first guy that comes to mind. A couple others:

Platinum is all stand up - not much to offer on the ground.
Hunt's ground game is horrible.
Sonnen's stand up is awful.
Actually, Hunt had success against both Rothwell and Bigfoot on the ground.... it was odd to see him doing well on the ground, but its true

Back