Who has the GOAT MMA wrestling: Khabib or GSP?

There’s a level to this. Sure gsp is a great mma wrestler but got outwrestled by hendricks who’s a amazing college wrestler but both cejudo(gold medalists) and Romero(silver medalist) are above everyone in ufc
henry-cejudo-2.jpg

yoel-romero-ufc-2051.jpg

Jones has never been outwrestled...GSP was outwrestled vs Hughes 1 and Hendricks. Khabib was outwrestled by Tibau.

Olympic wrestling is better than college wrestling..

Jones got outwrestled by Gus

we will find out when khabib beats conor and fights GSP. :)

GSP wasnt a versatile wrestler. he had good timing and was explosive.
Khabib is the better man in mixing up grappling with wrestling. He has more tools in this area than GSP while GSP was better on his feet.

It's GSP hands down. GSP would outwrestle every "great wrestler" he fought.

Khabib outwrestles strikers and struggles sometimes with good wrestlers.

GSP has great Take Downs but Khabib has them too and subs galore.

There’s a level to this. Sure gsp is a great mma wrestler but got outwrestled by hendricks who’s a amazing college wrestler but both cejudo(gold medalists) and Romero(silver medalist) are above everyone in ufc
henry-cejudo-2.jpg

yoel-romero-ufc-2051.jpg

That means nothing in MMA. The difference between an Olympic gold medalist and a regular college wrestler is like 2%. Chin, striking, power, ground and pound, subs, etc. make much more than a 2% difference on MMA's wrestling game.

Imagine Cejudo had a glass chin. Then he gets punched one time and the guy that won the national championships when he was 17, an Olympic gold at 20.. would get out-MMA-wrestled by Conor McGregor.

henry-cejudo-2.jpg

yoel-romero-ufc-2051.jpg

IN MMA, GSP is so much fucking better at wrestling then Ramero

Id say GSP due to his title run. But he always had the striking so I say that helped immensely in being so good at getting TDs, plus he had the “strikers” timing to time those TDs. Far better striker than Khabib.

Here are some highlights I found:

I personally think it's GSP. His takedowns were just so good and his top control was amazing. He could pass guard like no other. Khabib's takedowns aren't as good but he's just so smothering. GSP is great technique with GOAT level explosiveness. Khabib is average athleticism with GOAT level technique.

I watch GSP and think I could never do that. I watch Khabib and think I will never train enough to do that, but I could do that. It's difficult to choose.

What do you think?

GSP did it against the best in his division and his timing/set up is unmatched so far with takedowns.

Khabib hasn’t fought the best LWs yet and he doesn’t set it up with technique he just jumps onto the opponent and drags them down

Khabib is strong and overpowers his opponents, as far as technique goes he isn't super impressive. GSP is on the next level. Technique and speed.

Jon Jones. The man outwresled Olympian DC twice...He has never been outwrestled. Khabib and GSP can’t say the same.

Gus outwreslted him.

In fact 90% of Jones TDD involves sticking his 2 miles long arms and fingers in his opponent's face.

GSP outwrestled Koscheck, Nation Champ and 4x All American, twice with a lot more grappling involved.
Ben Askren talked about how training MMA all the time made his wrestling worse. That when he came home on holiday his brother embarrassed him wrestling. So elite wrestlers training all aspects of MMA aren't quite the same as when they were in the prime only wrestling years.

What about Gus fight?
Good point. Gus with that TD on Jones was impressive.

Still, GSP was outwrestled multiple times and Khabib was outwrestled by Tibau. Jones was arguably outwrestled by one of the best LHWs of all time skillwise.

Did you mean Had? GSP is old and doesn’t fight anyone who is poor. He doesn’t care about winning

Had=GSP
Has=Khabib

GSP for sure, and he has beat so many wrestlers too

Khabib is a better over all wrestler in the mma world. His grappling is a lot better, takedowns go to gsp but in a grappling match, khabib would own him.

Back