Who has the fastest hands boxers or traditional martial artists?

Fastest hands of all time.
latest

Where'd this data come from?
multiple sources I come across over the years from studying these but i'll try to find some of the stuff for you if I can remember.

Here's Ricky Hatton's data.

and the data from pacman comes from a group who measured his force. They get the units wrong on certain things, but they have the other data correct in order to solve for the velocity. They give the displacement and time, and I just use kinematics to solve for the velocity. It comes out at 12.3 m/s, which is what we should expect more or less.

Nah, the problem is that traditional martial artists don't learn combos, defence, angles.. like a boxer. If they do it sure isn't traditional martial arts. Traditional martial arts is more about self defence scenarios, punch - set up a kick, finish the dude off. There is no science to real hard sparring.
Don't see what defence or angles has to do with pure punch speed? And what does hard sparring have to do with anything?

Speed is purely an athletic trait. Doing an Art has nothing to do with your hand speed aside from what you're trained to do. For instance, there might be some jugglers with faster hands than anyone.

It probably isn't a professional fighter, as professional fighters don't just train for speed.

Martial arts like Wing Chun,Kung Fu, Tai Chi perhaps? Do they all produce superior speed?

Who had the fastest hands ever for punching out of all humans whether they are boxers martial artists or what so ever

Some of these worthless kung fu styles. They can slap you 10 times in a second.

For real punches though I would say boxing.

Pac, Macho Camacho, and RJJ are the first to come to my mind when talking about having the "fastest hands" in boxing.

Some of these worthless kung fu styles. They can slap you 10 times in a second.

For real punches though I would say boxing.

Jab not slap, is the jab a worthless punch? Is it worthless to jab a guy a load of times real fast? Or does it stun and set them up?

Everything depends on what you are measuring.

If you are measuring only the speed of the physical movement from the time that it initiates until completion then it is an athletic trait. And it is a very trainable athletic trait. Physical movement speed can be increased by improvement of physical conditioning as well as motor engram development and pre-movement silent period utilization along with efficiency of movement and effective body mechanics.

If you are measuring speed from the time of perception (recognition of a reason to move) until completion there are many factors involved beyond athleticism. They include, recognition training, response training, neurological traits and more as well as the factors involved in physical speed.

Most of the discussion here is focused on pure hand speed. It seems that a lot of fighters and trainers believe that you're born with fast hands or your not. That's not true. You can definitely increase physical hand speed.

As I said in an earlier post. More important than hand speed is fighting speed. The fast fighters don't just have fast hands. There is much more involved in making those hands look so fast. They utilize distance control, strategy, balance, efficiency of movement, accuracy, perception skills, timing and many other factors that make their strikes happen fast.

It's much more than hand speed. Truly fast fighters know that. The rest just think they need to train hard.

Speed is an athletic trait. The functions involved in it are more than one, and they can be trained, however you seem dismissive of genetic aptitude. As an example, one of the things I use to increase reaction time, hand eye coordination, proprioception, and all those things with my fighters is a little game called handball:

Obviously this game requires a lot of "speed" in various facets, as well as coordination. I have some fighters who still just have a very difficult time grasping how quickly they need to respond and get into position to make a good move (similar in fighting). And then I have some who just understand that right away, and can hit the ball accurately fairly easily compared to others. So, some people have better genetic aptitude for the concept of "speed" than others, even with little understanding of what it actually is. Why they can do what they can do. I had a heavyweight play this game for the first time yesterday, and it was as if he'd been practicing for months.

So here's the problem with what I call the "false hope" of focusing on purely athletic traits. In the card game that is fighting, when you put a lot of energy into things like "speed" and "strength"...what you're betting on is that guys who are BORN faster than you, or stronger than you, are absolutely NOT training those things at all and you're going to catch up. This is folly, as the higher percentage of other people are going to train them, mostly due to insecurity. Fast guys and strong guys always think they're not that fast or strong, unless their trainer strokes their ego enough that they get cocky about it. So, while I do agree people DO typically get faster and stronger because of GOOD training, each person has their own assets that do not need to be strength or speed. Those things shouldn't be ignored entirely, but it's better to build a fighter's confidence around something they can ACTUALLY do that few other fighters can. Whatever that is.

I've got no issue with that.

Bruce Lee is faster than Pacman so you guys are all wrong

Film cameras are notorious for being POOR at capturing speed, in particular, the film cameras used during Enter the Dragon. "Overcranking" is common when filming any reasonably fast movement and Wing Chun looks fast because they don't always throw solid punches but often finger jabs, back hands, deflections all which are easier to throw and thus faster since you're not utilizing all your body to power it as in a boxing punch.

Film cameras are notorious for being POOR at capturing speed, in particular, the film cameras used during Enter the Dragon. "Overcranking" is common when filming any reasonably fast movement and Wing Chun looks fast because they don't always throw solid punches but often finger jabs, back hands, deflections all which are easier to throw and thus faster since you're not utilizing all your body to power it as in a boxing punch.

They had to tell Bruce to slow down so the audience could see what he was doing, when they filmed him

Yes wing chun has alot of fast motions that sacrifice weight and power for speed. Im not talking about power here just speed, so irrelevant point.

Also Bruce could do a full body weight movement at blinding speed

Last edited:
They had to tell Bruce to slow down so the audience could see what he was doing, when they filmed him

Yes wing chun has alot of fast motions that sacrifice weight and power for speed. Im not talking about power here just speed, so irrelevant point.

Also Bruce could do a full body weight movement at blinding speed

Anybody with good speed looks blindingly fast, especially when using a film camera. Telling Bruce to slow down for the cameras isn't a big deal, you would need to tell 100% of pro boxers to "Slow down" when hitting a speed bag in order to see the actually strikes, and a piano player doing scales.

Cameras suck at filming movement, unless you overcrank.

Anybody with good speed looks blindingly fast, especially when using a film camera. Telling Bruce to slow down for the cameras isn't a big deal, you would need to tell 100% of pro boxers to "Slow down" when hitting a speed bag in order to see the actually strikes, and a piano player doing scales.

Cameras suck at filming movement, unless you overcrank.

Yea because all the 100% of boxers filmed with proper or novice cameras are too fast to see, derp.

Are mirrors sped up too? ;)

Last edited:
OK SO NO ONE CAN BEAT BRUCE LEE FOR SPEED CORRECT?

HE IS NUMBER 1

UNTIL SOMEONE GIVES ME FOOTAGE OF SOMEONE FASTER HES NUMBER 1 I SEE NO EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY

Back