Who has the better Welterweight Division: Bellator or UFC?

Who has the better Welterweight Division: Bellator or UFC?

• Total voters

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
For the first time since Strikeforce closed shop; I think there is a debate to be made:

Bellator:
*Douglas Lima
*Lorenz Larkin
*Rory Macdonald
*MVP
*Andrey Koreshkov
*Paul Daley
*Benson Henderson (not sure what weight class he intends to stuck around at)
*Joey Davis (doesn't really deserve to be on the list but a prospect worth watching)

UFC:
*Tyron Woodley
*Damion Maia
* Wonderboy Thompson
* Robbie Lawler
* Carlos Condit (is he retired?)
* Neil Magney
* Jorge Masvidal
* Cowboy Cerrone (I assume he is staying at 170)
*Alan Jouban
*Platinum Perry
* Emil Meek

Last edited:
It's the closer division but still UFC if you see the entire top 10/15

UFC Top 10 (IMO)
Woodley
Wonderboy
Lawler
Maia
Masvidal
Condit
Magny
DHK
Cowboy
Nelson

Bellator Top 10 (IMO)
Lima
McDonald
Koreshkov
Larkin
Njoukani
Daley
MVP
Gonzales
Ward
Rainey

After the top 5 the difference is really big but between the first 5 of each one all are hell of fights, i really think that Lima and Koreshkov are underrated, they both are top 10 talent in the UFC to.
Without a doubt WW is the division with less difference between Bellator and the UFC

After the top 5 the difference is really big but between the first 5 of each one all are hell of fights, i really think that Lima and Koreshkov are underrated, they both are top 10 talent in the UFC to.
Without a doubt WW is the division with less difference between Bellator and the UFC

UFC Top 10 (IMO)
Woodley - 34 years old(35 in April)
Wonderboy -34 years old
Lawler - 35 years old
Maia - 39 years old
Masvidal - 32 years old
Condit - 32 years old (maybe retired)
Magny - 29 years old
DHK - 35 years old
Cowboy - 33 years old
Nelson - 28 years old

Bellator Top 10 (IMO)
Lima - 29 years old
MacDonald - 27 years old
Koreshkov - 26 years old
Larkin - 30 years old
Njoukani -28 years ol
Daley - 34 years old
MVP - 29 years old
Gonzales - 33 years old
Ward - 28 years old
Rainey - 33 years old

Bellator has 7 out of top 10 list 30 or younger
UFC has 2 of their top 10 list 30 or youngest

The UFC has more quality depth but i'd take the Bellator fighters. Not only do they have the superior top 5 imo; their top fighters are significantly younger than the UFC guys. When I looked at the fighter ages it sealed it up for me. As long as Bellator can keep their guys on roster they are in a good spot for the foreseeable future.

Why are we including Perry and Jouban on the UFC list and leaving off guys like Gunnar, DHK, Saff, Ponz, Usman, RDA etc.?

The UFC WW division is still head and shoulders above Bellator's.

Why are we including Perry and Jouban on the UFC list and leaving off guys like Gunnar, DHK, Saff, Ponz, Usman, RDA etc.?

The UFC WW division is still head and shoulders above Bellator's.

Gunnar dhk saff should have been on the list.

I just included Platinum mostly due to his obsessive fans in the heavies and as a result of including him I felt the need to put the guy who just beat him too.

RDA? Is he no longer at 155lbs?

Voted Bellator accidentally.

I have to give the slight edge to UFC. Top five in both are extremely close, but I feel like there is a bigger drop off in Bellator. Ww in UFC is a bit more deep.

I think guys like fialho and Paterson are some to keep an eye on in Bellator though.

TS, add to Bellator: Chidi, Gonzales, Ward, Rainey, Fialho.
to UFC: DHK, Usman, Gunnar, Ponzi, RDA.

And remove: Davis, Jouban, Perry, Meek.

Last edited:
UFC by far, dont see how anyone can look at the both WW rosters and vote Bellator.

UFC WW Div
Tyron
Wonderboy
Lawler
Condit
Masvidal
Cowboy
Maia
RDA
Nelson
Ellenberger
Brown
Covington
LaFlare
Usman
Mein
Tarec
Gall
Stun Gun
Saunders
Alves
Diaz brothers
Perry
Jouban
Meek

Bellator has a very good top top of the div but it drops off big time after their top 8 guys. Like thats all they have is a decent top 10 and then its nothing. Could anyone even name 20 WW on Bellators roster? UFC WW div can go legit 25 to 30 strong with high level guys.

UFC WW div is better. Bellators top 10 is very good though, best div they have and closest to the UFC's.

It's tied up 7-7 after I voted. I see the MMA hipsters are lurking around this thread :D Bellator's WW division is good, but there the UFC's is obviously better.

Going with who I can name this is Bellators WW div. Missing anyone? Couldnt get to 20

Lima
Rory
Larkin
Daley
MVP
Koreshkov
Chidi
Anderson
Kos
Gonzalez
Danis
Davis
Ward
McDonough
Fialho
Casey

Thats all I got, cant even get to 20 names.

Going with who I can name this is Bellators WW div. Missing anyone? Couldnt get to 20

Thats all I got, cant even get to 20 names.

Looking at their website there is a few more, such as a 2nd gonzalez but no one of significance.

Bendo is the only one who might be a 170lber there are more big fights for him at the weight class and now that he lost to Chandler, he might just say 'screw it' with 155lbs. 3 of his last 5 fights have been at 170 pounds and he has a close win over Jorge Masvidal at the weight class so it's not like he can't be competitive at the weight even though Koreshkov on that one particular night made it look that way.

If you are going for depth UFC is clearly the winner, but the sport seems to be all about the 'stars' now days, and I think Bellator can make that argument and do it with more youth.

It's tied up 7-7 after I voted. I see the MMA hipsters are lurking around this thread :D Bellator's WW division is good, but there the UFC's is obviously better.

The depth is obviously better in UFC.
The top 6 or 7? A strong case can be made for Bellator that needs no hipsterism.

Wish the new UFC owners would cross promote.

Then we'd really know some things.

Gunnar dhk saff should have been on the list.

I just included Platinum mostly due to his obsessive fans in the heavies and as a result of including him I felt the need to put the guy who just beat him too.
We're not in the heavies. People here actually follow the sport.

...all five of us.

Bellator WW division is outstanding, but the UFC's is still better.

I believe Bellator has the best top 5 WWs in the world.

UFC Top 10 (IMO)
Woodley - 34 years old(35 in April)
Wonderboy -34 years old
Lawler - 35 years old
Maia - 39 years old
Masvidal - 32 years old
Condit - 32 years old (maybe retired)
Magny - 29 years old
DHK - 35 years old
Cowboy - 33 years old
Nelson - 28 years old

Bellator Top 10 (IMO)
Lima - 29 years old
MacDonald - 27 years old
Koreshkov - 26 years old
Larkin - 30 years old
Njoukani -28 years ol
Daley - 34 years old
MVP - 29 years old
Gonzales - 33 years old
Ward - 28 years old
Rainey - 33 years old

Bellator has 7 out of top 10 list 30 or younger
UFC has 2 of their top 10 list 30 or youngest

The UFC has more quality depth but i'd take the Bellator fighters. Not only do they have the superior top 5 imo; their top fighters are significantly younger than the UFC guys. When I looked at the fighter ages it sealed it up for me. As long as Bellator can keep their guys on roster they are in a good spot for the foreseeable future.

You beat me to it, I was going to note while the talent level at the top end ( top 3 or 4 ) in Bellator and the UFC is virtually identical, the UFC's division is still clearly better it's just much deeper. But one thing to remember is how young Bellator's welterweight division is compared to the UFC's. Too bad Bellator didn't sign Albert Tumenov, Tumenov is only 25?

Bellator has the more exciting WW division by far. So many cool match ups.
UFC has the ranked fighters, but that's purely due to political reasons.

In other words, I'd rather watch MVP or Daley knock people out cold, than Maia hump somebody's leg for 5 rounds.
Also, do you not remember how Woodley vs Thompson went? What a stinker that was. I legitimately fell asleep during this fight and woke up with my laptop on the floor. Not even trying to be funny here.

UFC obviously but bellators improving big time.

Back