Who has had a hernia repaired - Updated

Operation done 8/3/16. What they said would be a 1-2" incision turned into a 4-5" incision in the low abdomen/high pelvic area. Not fun to say the least but it was worse a tear than they imagined. First 4 days were rough, 5th day turned a major corner and felt pretty good and started some activity. 6th day some light cardio on the elliptical. 7th day more cardio and a million reps of light weight (10lbs) arm work. Today did 30 min elliptical and a million reps of 10lbs back work.

Will continue cardio and staying at the 10lbs weight limit for another couple weeks. But it feels great to get some activity.

Cant wait to get back under the bar.

Glad to hear you are on the mend! Although you are already well on the road to recovery, taking some hawthornia supplement will help strengthen your abdominal wall and prevent injury in the future.
Traditional Chinese medicine has been treating hernia with this blend for years, they view it as a Qi blockage and they treat it through 'hot' medicinal applications.

Apparently they believe that the liver is the key to introducing the hot medications to the bloodstream and the hawthornia compound assists it in recovery and prevention of hernia.

As I recal, Hawthronia is hawthorne mixed with fennel seed, citrus peel and some other goodies that I cant remember right now.
Just be careful when you get bck under that bar, ease into it slowly and you should be fine.

You'll be fine after 2 weeks. I had inguinal repair 3 years ago, using mesh, right side. The hernia was too large for arthroscopy so I have a 4" scar in my pube area (can barely see it). The two biggest pains were not being able to stand up straight and a crazy pain on my right hip bone, like a bone bruise. God knows what those trained butchers did to me.

If I feel under my belly fold on the right side I can feel the scar tissue lump where the mesh is. I've built my squat up to 405 and my deadlift up to 440 with no problems since then. Occasionally I get a phantom pain in the area which is kind of reminiscent of the post-operation pain, but nothing major. Occasionally if I move wrong I can feel the scar tissue pull but it's a minor, minor part of my life.

Oh, the other thing I remember is needing to take laxatives to soften my shits, because hard valsalva could rip the stitches. So that was nice.

You'll be fine after 2 weeks. I had inguinal repair 3 years ago, using mesh, right side. The hernia was too large for arthroscopy so I have a 4" scar in my pube area (can barely see it). The two biggest pains were not being able to stand up straight and a crazy pain on my right hip bone, like a bone bruise. God knows what those trained butchers did to me.

If I feel under my belly fold on the right side I can feel the scar tissue lump where the mesh is. I've built my squat up to 405 and my deadlift up to 440 with no problems since then. Occasionally I get a phantom pain in the area which is kind of reminiscent of the post-operation pain, but nothing major. Occasionally if I move wrong I can feel the scar tissue pull but it's a minor, minor part of my life.

Oh, the other thing I remember is needing to take laxatives to soften my shits, because hard valsalva could rip the stitches. So that was nice.
Glad to have read this as my hips been irritated as well. Doing a little reading and apparently really common.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the mesh somehow pulls on your stomach muscles/fascia so that the attachment near the hip is under strain it wasn't under before.

I have a small umbilical hernia - not worth getting fixed sorta deal. Was told just don't go for any 1RM lifts and you can basically live with it and still lift without any issue. Still scared to squat or DL though (happened on a DL), and sticking to minimum of five rep weight range on all other lifts.

I have an umbilical one about the size of a pea. I've had it for years and powerlifter without issue. Doc told me to just let it be unless it gets bigger, but I guess they are an easy fix with limited time off from the gym.

Back