Who else misses hand-drawn Disney/cartoon movies?

Brom Bones

Where's that little soy boy, bitch Ichabod?
@Black
Reaction score
There was something cool about a movie where you knew an actual person sat down and drew or painted a frame/cell. I'm OK with all this computer animated shit, but it seems cold and inauthentic. I want the human touches you can't get with computers. It's TOO perfect.

I remember when Beauty and the Beast had that scene at the end that used computer animation and everyone freaked out. That was pretty much the swan song for me.

I definitely miss them. They were fantastic and would succeed today imo. Would be great for kids imo.

I miss it too. I think some of the best animation was the old Popeyes!! Looked almost 3D as well. I do love what they can do with computer animation as well but if I had millions? I'd buy up the old cartoon animated cells. Also? I miss the days of practical effects.

Was just discussing this the other day. Lion King was on while we were channel flipping. The opening is still beautiful. The 2-3 minute stampede scene took over 2 years to draw.

At the time most Disney animators thought Lion King would be a flop and chose to work on Pocahontas instead. Lion King was the highest grossing animated film in motion picture history until Finding Nemo came along.

Last edited:
I don't. They did the Tezuka - the father of manga- dirty.

Studio Ghibli is way better.

Akira is the best hand drawn animation of all time.

The art style of Akira is nice, but I've never seen any Japanese animation that even remotely compares to the hand drawn Disney movies. Disney was just on a totally different level of craftsmanship, with thousands of hours going into making scenes like these.

I do not miss Disney cartoons.

Never liked them or the characters.

Warner Bros Looney Tunes is where its at.

Agreed, hand drawn 2D animation has a very distinct look and feel that computers can't really replicate.

Plus, I feel like there was more variety in art styles in 2D animation. Most 3D stuff all looks exactly the same, even coming from different studios and animators. Absolutely no variety.

God I sound old

Big time. They were beautiful to look at as well as great to watch. Sleeping Beauty is one of the best looking films of all time. Now it's pretty much Japan and some scattered European films that have hand drawn art (though usually all enhanced with computer imagery).

30th anniversary just a couple weeks ago

They just don't make movie magic like that anymore

The art style of Akira is nice, but I've never seen any Japanese animation that even remotely compares to the hand drawn Disney movies. Disney was just on a totally different level of craftsmanship, with thousands of hours going into making scenes like these.

There were more hand drawn cells per second in Akira than any Disney movie ever made. You may not like the artistic vibe of akira but to claim that time and craftsmanship put Disney in another league is simply wrong.

There were more hand drawn cells per second in Akira than any Disney movie ever made. You may not like the artistic vibe of akira but to claim that time and craftsmanship put Disney in another league is simply wrong.

Quality over quantity. It's easy to make lots of cels when you're mostly using static backgrounds without very much moving. The sequences I posted involved painting the whole cel for each and every frame for a lot of it which is obviously more time consuming.

I miss it too. I think some of the best animation was the old Popeyes!! Looked almost 3D as well. I do love what they can do with computer animation as well but if I had millions? I'd buy up the old cartoon animated cells. Also? I miss the days of practical effects.
The new Popeye just ain't the same.

maxresdefault.jpg

Quality over quantity. It's easy to make lots of cels when you're mostly using static backgrounds without very much moving. The sequences I posted involved painting the whole cel for each and every frame for a lot of it which is obviously more time consuming.
Are you telling me there are no static backgrounds in the Pinocchio clip?

No, they use static backgrounds as well, I didn't intend to say it was all full cel stuff, but personally I don't think anything in Akira even remotely compares to the water in the whale scene, and that was done almost 50 years earlier.

There was an art to these things that doesn't quite exist anymore, and unfortunately the up-and-coming generation doesn't seem to miss it.

Fox and the hound was goat Disney cartoon

<{cruzshake}>

But all these arguments is pointless now.

Back