Who do you believe is the most fascinating historical figure?

uWM3s4L.gif
Damn. My whiteness be showin.

This is pretty much one of the main points of War And Peace by Tolstoy. That these "great men" (he was particularly thinking of Napolean) are really mediocrities, in the right place at the right time.

He had some really nice quotes about it at the end of the novel, which I wish I could remember, but I read it like 15 years ago.

I think politics generally likes to attract mediocrity. There is a lot to say about people not wanting to vote for people that don't share a base with them. Hitler was known to be awkward and either not knowing of conventional manners and greatings or had a disdain for them. Bush Jr. changed his accent from when he was a Gov. of Texas to when he ran for president and all of a sudden found a Texas twang. Kerry likely would have been a good president but reeked of educated North eastern elite. Nixon resented everyone. Lyndon Johnson was school teacher before he went into politics. FDR was brilliant. Same with Obama. Look at how much crap Obama got for reading speeches he wrote vs Mush Mouth 45. There is a segment of the population that think that someone has to be at their level to consider their wants.

I'd go with Stalin. This guy was 10 times the psychopath Hitler was, but rarely seems to get mentioned. 30M+ murders attributed to him. It was death or gulag during his reign to anyone in opposition.

Time Magazine's 100 most significant figures in history is a decent list:

1 Jesus

2 Napoleon

3 Muhammad

4 William Shakespeare

5 Abraham Lincoln

6 George Washington

7 Adolf Hitler

8 Aristotle

9 Alexander the Great

10 Thomas Jefferson

11 Henry VIII of England

12 Charles Darwin

13 Elizabeth I of England

14 Karl Marx

15 Julius Caesar

16 Queen Victoria

17 Martin Luther

18 Joseph Stalin

19 Albert Einstein

20 Christopher Columbus

21 Isaac Newton

22 Charlemagne

23 Theodore Roosevelt

24 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

25 Plato

26 Louis XIV of France

27 Ludwig van Beethoven

28 Ulysses S. Grant

29 Leonardo da Vinci

30 Augustus

31 Carl Linnaeus

32 Ronald Reagan

33 Charles Dickens

34 Paul the Apostle

35 Benjamin Franklin

36 George W. Bush

37 Winston Churchill

38 Genghis Khan

39 Charles I of England

40 Thomas Edison

41 James I of England

42 Friedrich Nietzsche

43 Franklin D. Roosevelt

44 Sigmund Freud

45 Alexander Hamilton

46 Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

47 Woodrow Wilson

48 Johann Sebastian Bach

49 Galileo Galilei

50 Oliver Cromwell

51 James Madison

52 Gautama Buddha

53 Mark Twain

54 Edgar Allan Poe

55 Joseph Smith, Jr.

56 Adam Smith

57 David, King of Israel

58 George III of the United Kingdom

59 Immanuel Kant

60 James Cook

61 John Adams

62 Richard Wagner

63 Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

64 Voltaire

65 Saint Peter

66 Andrew Jackson

67 Constantine the Great

68 Socrates

69 Elvis Presley

70 William the Conqueror

71 John F. Kennedy

72 Augustine of Hippo

73 Vincent van Gogh

74 Nicolaus Copernicus

75 Vladimir Lenin

76 Robert E. Lee

77 Oscar Wilde

78 Charles II of England

79 Cicero

80 Jean-Jacques Rousseau

81 Francis Bacon

82 Richard Nixon

83 Louis XVI of France

84 Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

85 King Arthur

86 Michelangelo

87 Philip II of Spain

88 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

89 Ali, founder of Sufism

90 Thomas Aquinas

91 Pope John Paul II

92 René Descartes

93 Nikola Tesla

94 Harry S. Truman

95 Joan of Arc

96 Dante Alighieri

97 Otto von Bismarck

98 Grover Cleveland

99 John Calvin

100 John Locke
Speaking only for myself, I'd draw a distinction between significant and fascinating. Now, it's impossible to name just one as the absolute top since there are so many, but I would put Cleopatra very high on my list and she doesn't even make it onto this one.

Honestly, how could they be so stupid? Dubya more influencial than Vladimir Lenin bwahahahahahahahaha.

And of course ya, Mao Zedong, the founder of modern China is nowhere on the list.
I didn't examine it too closely but I bet Hirohito isn't on it either.

Hitler possessed a fair amount of cunning, which can pass for intelligence in poor light. He was a superb politician, a brilliant orator and a reasonably brave if undistinquished low level soldier. As a military leader he fucking sucked, thank God.

But really, the stars had to align for Hitler to rise to power. In any other time or country, Adolf would have been a fringe figure at best. But he appeared when Germans were dealing with financial collapse, poverty and national humiliation after WWI. Hitler's gift was the ability to make otherwise intelligent and civilised people believe that the Jews were responsible, and only the Nazis could save them.

There is no evidence to suggest Hitler's IQ was much above average.

Hitler's IQ is usually estimated at around 140. He was lucky to get where he did but very talented as well. IIRC all the top Nazis either had their IQs tested if they were captured, or estimated if they were dead, and got high results. Goebbels had a PhD at 24 and wrote 14 books. Hitler also was a well above average soldier, winning the Iron Cross Second Class and First Class, and being shot and gassed (in separate incidents).

/

There seems to be a bit of a correlation between becoming a dictator and being an ethnic/national outsider: Hitler was Austrian, Lenin part Jewish, part something else, part Russian, Stalin Georgian, Napoleon Italian-Corsican, Mao had some non-Han blood and spoke in a thick rural accent. Genghis Khan was hapa. There are lots of examples of them not being ethnic/national outsiders of course, but outsiders seem to be overrepresented.

While we're on the subject four of the first six Finnish prime ministers, including national hero Mannerheim, were ethnic Swedes (I know Mannerheim had some German ancestry - the Germans seem to have been assimilated into the Swedes in general in Finland).
I can't stop laughing at George Dubya being ranked number 35. Made me wonder if this list was created like the year after 9-11 or something. What a farce. Complete nonsense.
That's a diabolically bad list

Ulysses Grant ahead of Genghis Khan? Napoleon at 2? What in the fuck
That Time ranking might be one of the worst lists I've ever seen.

Pretty biased list. Nevertheless it is difficult to avoid the stark and now, for most, uncomfortable and politically inconvenient, implications about ethnic differences it exposes:

USA 24
UK 19
Germany 11
Ancient Rome/Italy 9
France 8
Ancient Greece 5
Israel 4
Russia/USSR 3
Austria 2
India 2
Netherlands 2
Poland 2
Saudi Arabia 2
Algeria 1
Denmark 1
Mongolia 1
Serbia 1
Sweden 1
Spain 1
Switzerland 1

A lot of the nationalities are a tangled skein; I made my best call.

Alexander the Great = Greek, I think this is a stronger claim than 'Macedonian'.

Biblical personalities, of questionable historicity, are down as 'Israel'.

Buddha had blue eyes, still down as Indian. I know there are still blue eyed Indians today but not many.

Calvin moved to Switzerland at 25, however I left him as French.

Charles V spent his life on the road so I just assigned him as Dutch. Royal is kind of its own ethnicity imo.

Copernicus was an ethnic German but I assigned him Poland (that's where he was from and mostly lived).

Einstein is down for Germany despite being a Jew who moved to Switzerland, renouncing his German citizenship, at 16, then returned to Germany, taking up citizenship again, at 35, then moved to the USA at 54 and took American citizenship at 61, after presumably illegally overstaying his visa.

Genghis Khan had red hair and green eyes, despite the Postmodern denials - still down as Mongolian.

Hitler = German

Marx = Germany, although he was a Jew who also lived in France and Belgium before moving to London at 31

Mohammed and Ali = Saudi Arabia

Napoleon is down for France despite being an ethnic Italian who was born one year after Corsica was handed over to France.

Oscar Wilde is down for the UK as he was Anglo-Irish and all Ireland was in the UK during his brief lifetime.

Rousseau spent a lot of time in France and the UK but is just down as Swiss.

Tesla was born in the Austrian Empire in an area now in Croatia, and moved to the USA at 28 and took US citizenship. He was an ethnic Serb, so I assigned him Serbia.

Van Gogh I think spent most of his short life in France, Belgium and the UK. I left him as Dutch. The most insane person in this list, with Joan of Arc second.

William the Conqueror - this wasn't easy - I assigned him Denmark.

Note all the Americans have British names except Kennedy and Reagan, which are Irish (closest thing). 'American' used to mean ethnically British (with a few exceptions of course), before most people decided the definition was expanded to include everyone present. Even the people born before US independence have been assigned USA.

I don't think there's much of an ethnic difference between Austria, Germany and the Netherlands either, especially in terms of the people in this list, nevertheless I have put them separately.

The populations of Ancient Greece and Rome have also changed a lot to the current Greek and Italian populations, which is also denied by the Woke zealots, but I have just counted them together.
Not a single Black man on that list... tsk tsk
Give us a Top 10!
Well for a start, he was dumb enough to invade Russia. Without adequate winter supplies. A quick skim of any good history book would have told him that didn't work out too well for Napolean. And Boney had forgotten more about military tactics than Adolf ever knew.
By invading Russia, Hitler sowed the seeds of the Third Reich's downfall. The Nazis would eventually have lost WWII anyway once America got off it's ass, but it would have been an even longer and bloodier conflict.
Would you say that war with the USSR was inevitable, and he might as well have got his retaliation in first? And if the USA was going to attack Germany, even if Germany wasn't at war with the USSR, it would make sense to try to take them on one at a time instead of at the same time.
One of things Tolstoi really was wrong about and one of negatives of book(yes i consider myself intelligent enough to shit on tolstoys opinion lmao)
Do you read in Russian?

Last edited:
Hitler's IQ is usually estimated at around 140. He was lucky to get where he did but very talented as well. IIRC all the top Nazis either had their IQs tested if they were captured, or estimated if they were dead, and got high results. Goebbels had a PhD at 24 and wrote 14 books. Hitler also was a well above average soldier, winning the Iron Cross Second Class and First Class, and being shot and gassed (in separate incidents).

/

There seems to be a bit of a correlation between becoming a dictator and being an ethnic/national outsider: Hitler was Austrian, Lenin part Jewish, part something else, part Russian, Stalin Georgian, Napoleon Italian-Corsican, Mao had some non-Han blood and spoke in a thick rural accent. Genghis Khan was hapa. There are lots of examples of them not being ethnic/national outsiders of course, but outsiders seem to be overrepresented.

While we're on the subject four of the first six Finnish prime ministers, including national hero Mannerheim, were ethnic Swedes (I know Mannerheim had some German ancestry - the Germans seem to have been assimilated into the Swedes in general in Finland).

Pretty biased list. Nevertheless it is difficult to avoid the stark and now, for most, uncomfortable and politically inconvenient, implications about ethnic differences it exposes:

USA 24
UK 19
Germany 11
Ancient Rome/Italy 9
France 8
Ancient Greece 5
Israel 4
Russia/USSR 3
Austria 2
India 2
Netherlands 2
Poland 2
Saudi Arabia 2
Algeria 1
Denmark 1
Mongolia 1
Serbia 1
Sweden 1
Spain 1
Switzerland 1

Alexander the Great = Greek, I think this is a stronger claim than 'Macedonian'.

Buddha had blue eyes, still down as Indian. I know there are still blue eyed Indians today but not many.

Charles V spent his life on the road so I just assigned him as Dutch. Royal is kind of its own ethnicity imo.

Copernicus was an ethnic German but I assigned him Poland (that's where he was from and mostly lived).

Einstein is down for Germany despite being a Jew who moved to Switzerland, renouncing his German citizenship, at 16, then returned to Germany, taking up citizenship again, at 35, then moved to the USA at 54 and took American citizenship at 61, after presumably illegally overstaying his visa.

Genghis Khan had red hair and green eyes, despite the Postmodern denials - still down as Mongolian.

Hitler = German

Marx = Germany, although he was a Jew who also lived in France and Belgium before moving to London at 31

Napoleon is down for France despite being an ethnic Italian who was born one year after Corsica was handed over to France.

Oscar Wilde is down for the UK as he was Anglo-Irish and all Ireland was in the UK during his brief lifetime.

Tesla was born in the Austrian Empire in an area now in Croatia, and moved to the USA at 28 and took US citizenship. He was an ethnic Serb, so I assigned him Serbia.

Van Gogh I think spent most of his short life in France, Belgium and the UK. I left him as Dutch. The most insane person in this list, with Joan of Arc second.

Note all the Americans have British names except Kennedy and Reagan, which are Irish (cloest thing). 'American' used to mean ethnically British (with a few exceptions of course), before most people decided the definition was expanded to include everyone present. Even the people born before US independence have been assigned USA.

I don't think there's much of an ethnic difference between Austria, Germany and the Netherlands either, especially in terms of the people in this list, nevertheless I have put them separately.

The populations of Ancient Greece and Rome have also changed a lot to the current Greek and Italian populations, which is also denied by the Woke zealots, but I have just counted them together.

Give us a Top 10!

Would you say that war with the USSR was inevitable, and he might as well have got his retaliation in first? And if the USA was going to attack Germany, even if Germany wasn't at war with the USSR, it would make sense to try to take them on one at a time instead of at the same time.

Do you read in Russian?

I read war and peace in russian as a teen

Good book and i liked lots of its themes

That being said everything conserning napoleon and great man theory comes off like absolute bullshit , you can just feel the bias and tolstois hate for napoleon in real life and he just decides to branch his hate to all "great men"

Everything military related is also kinda bad (he describes battles well though)

/

USA 24
UK 19
Germany 11
Ancient Rome/Italy 9
France 8
Ancient Greece 5
Israel 4
Russia/USSR 3
Austria 2
India 2
Netherlands 2
Poland 2
Saudi Arabia 2
Algeria 1
Denmark 1
Mongolia 1
Serbia 1
Sweden 1
Spain 1
Switzerland 1

Hitler = German

Note all the Americans have British names except Kennedy and Reagan, which are Irish (cloest thing). 'American' used to mean ethnically British (with a few exceptions of course), before most people decided the definition was expanded to include everyone present. Even the people born before US independence have been assigned USA.

Give us a Top 10!

Do you read in Russian?

Can you provide a link? Because I've never read or heard of Hitler's IQ being estimated anywhere near 140. IIRC, Goering had his IQ tested while awaiting trial in Nuremberg, and scored 138. I believe only one senior Nazi scored higher, and it wasn't Hitler.

Hitler's military career is still a topic of debate among professional Historians to this day. While there is no doubt he saw action in several major battles, including Ypres, he also spent a considerable amount of his service at Regimental HQ, acting as a messenger. Some people believe Hitler's Iron Cross awards were partly gained through friendship with senior officers at RHQ.

Ironically, the officer who recommended Hitler for his Iron Cross 1st Class was Jewish.

I'm not saying Hitler wasn't a decent low-ranking soldier. The man's crimes are vile enough without resorting to superious reasons to detest him. But as a high ranking military commander, he was a bigger threat to the Nazis themselves than the Allies.

Aptitude does not equal intelligence.
Aptitude is just a part of competence, the rest of competence is related to effort to learn and ability to learn which is intelligence. Nobody with natural aptitude can capitalize on it without intelligence. Also, some people are said to have mechanical aptitude and seemingly can fix anything mechanical. I think you would be surprised by the results if you gave these people an IQ test. I think aptitude is often used to downplay intelligence of people that maybe were not formally educated. Also, at the Nuremburg trials all of his surviving officers were tested and found to be somewhere between 100-138 and the officers regarded Hitler as very intelligent. There's a strong change he would be somewhere between 100-138 which means likely at least average, but more likely above average.

Can you provide a link? Because I've never read or heard of Hitler's IQ being estimated anywhere near 140. IIRC, Goering had his IQ tested while awaiting trial in Nuremberg, and scored 138. I believe only one senior Nazi scored higher, and it wasn't Hitler.

Hitler's military career is still a topic of debate among professional Historians to this day. While there is no doubt he saw action in several major battles, including Ypres, he also spent a considerable amount of his service at Regimental HQ, acting as a messenger. Some people believe Hitler's Iron Cross awards were partly gained through friendship with senior officers at RHQ.

Ironically, the officer who recommended Hitler for his Iron Cross 1st Class was Jewish.

I'm not saying Hitler wasn't a decent low-ranking soldier. The man's crimes are vile enough without resorting to superious reasons to detest him. But as a high ranking military commander, he was a bigger threat to the Nazis themselves than the Allies.
All of his officers were tested at the trials and they were between 100-138 and they considered Hitler intelligent. Best estimate we have is that he would be at least average intelligence but more likely in the 110-120 range. If all of his officers believed that he was a smart guy and they were almost all well above average he could not have been a moron like a few people in this thread have said.

All of his officers were tested at the trials and they were between 100-138 and they considered Hitler intelligent. Best estimate we have is that he would be at least average intelligence but more likely in the 110-120 range. If all of his officers believed that he was a smart guy and they were almost all well above average he could not have been a moron like a few people in this thread have said.

I usually score around 110 on IQ tests, and certainly don't consider myself above average intelligence. Although as I do possess a combination of cynicism and cunning that can be mistaken for intelligence from a distance, in poor lighting. ;)

There could be an aspect of guilt transference to the testimony of senior Nazis regarding Hitler's intelligence. If he really was some kind of Machavilian genius, they could hardly be blamed for allowing themselves to be manipulated by him.

For the life of me I can't remember who said it, but there's a quote to the effect that if you believed a lot of Germans immediately after the War, the only Nazis were Hitler and his inner circle. And they somehow managed to take over the entire Fatherland by themselves. Nothing to do with, "normal" Germans. Heaven forfend. :rolleyes:

I usually score around 110 on IQ tests, and certainly don't consider myself above average intelligence. Although as I do possess a combination of cynicism and cunning that can be mistaken for intelligence from a distance, in poor lighting. ;)

There could be an aspect of guilt transference to the testimony of senior Nazis regarding Hitler's intelligence. If he really was some kind of Machavilian genius, they could hardly be blamed for allowing themselves to be manipulated by him.

For the life of me I can't remember who said it, but there's a quote to the effect that if you believed a lot of Germans immediately after the War, the only Nazis were Hitler and his inner circle. And they somehow managed to take over the entire Fatherland by themselves. Nothing to do with, "normal" Germans. Heaven forfend. :rolleyes:
Yes, there may be some bias involved but I do not find it likely that a group of highly intelligent people would follow a moron. I'm no genius myself, I scored 118 and don't feel overly smart, but I know I can't handle working for people that are dumb as a box of rocks.

Yes, there may be some bias involved but I do not find it likely that a group of highly intelligent people would follow a moron. I'm no genius myself, I scored 118 and don't feel overly smart, but I know I can't handle working for people that are dumb as a box of rocks.

Again, it could be down to self-interest. They might not have believed Hitler was particularly intelligent, but they knew he was a brilliant orator who could whip huge crowds into a frenzy. They followed him because they wanted to ride on his coat-tails all the way to the top. By the time they realised what he was, it was too late.

Thousands of ordinary Germans opposed Hitler's dictatorship and genocide. They paid with their lives.

But thousands more followed him to the bitter end.

They paid with their souls.

- Greg Pak, Red Skull Incarnate.

that guy is in a mental hospital now because he was found unfit to stand trial for a bunch of rapes he did. you think the guy would be happy, having had MORE than his fair share of ladies. wtf he raping for?
Just read he’s in an undisclosed board and care home somewhere in LA.

Aptitude is just a part of competence, the rest of competence is related to effort to learn and ability to learn which is intelligence. Nobody with natural aptitude can capitalize on it without intelligence. Also, some people are said to have mechanical aptitude and seemingly can fix anything mechanical. I think you would be surprised by the results if you gave these people an IQ test. I think aptitude is often used to downplay intelligence of people that maybe were not formally educated. Also, at the Nuremburg trials all of his surviving officers were tested and found to be somewhere between 100-138 and the officers regarded Hitler as very intelligent. There's a strong change he would be somewhere between 100-138 which means likely at least average, but more likely above average.

Again, it could be down to self-interest. They might not have believed Hitler was particularly intelligent, but they knew he was a brilliant orator who could whip huge crowds into a frenzy. They followed him because they wanted to ride on his coat-tails all the way to the top. By the time they realised what he was, it was too late.

Thousands of ordinary Germans opposed Hitler's dictatorship and genocide. They paid with their lives.

But thousands more followed him to the bitter end.

They paid with their souls.

- Greg Pak, Red Skull Incarnate.
(1) Hitler was not a good general or admiral and did cause problems when interfering there. He was only a corporal after all. But I think his strategic decisions were largely correct. The Axis were major underdogs and they gave us a good scare. Stalingrad and Dunkirk were pretty bad though.

(2) WW1 messenger was a dangerous, important and trustworthy job. You wouldn't give it to a bad soldier. By the way I don't know about now but in the 90s the British infantry still trained you at this, in case the electronic communications were (suspected of) being listened to by the enemy or went down.

At the Nuremberg Trials, two of his former superiors testified that Hitler had refused to be considered for promotion. Hitler was twice decorated for bravery. He received the Iron Cross Second Class in 1914 and the Iron Cross First Class in 1918, an honour rarely given to a lance corporal. Hitler's First Class Iron Cross was recommended by Lieutenant Hugo Gutmann, a Jewish adjutant in the List Regiment. According to Weber, this rare award was commonly awarded to those posted to regimental headquarters, such as Hitler, who had contact with more senior officers than did combat soldiers. Hitler's Iron Cross First Class was awarded after an attack in open warfare during which messengers were indispensable and on a day in which the depleted regiment lost 60 killed and 211 wounded.

During the Battle of the Somme in October 1916 Hitler received a wound in his left thigh when a shell exploded at the entrance to the dispatch runners' dugout. He begged not to be evacuated, but was sent for almost two months to the Red Cross hospital at Beelitz in Brandenburg. Thereafter, he was ordered to the depot in Munich. He wrote to his commanding officer, Hauptmann Fritz Wiedemann, asking that he be recalled to the regiment because he could not tolerate Munich when he knew his comrades were at the Front.

Irony is where something has the opposite from intended outcome.

(2) Here are the Nuremburg IQ scores:

1 Hjalmar Schacht 143
2 Arthur Seyss-Inquart 141
3 Hermann Goering 138
4 Karl Doenitz 138
5 Franz von Papen 134
6 Eric Raeder 134
7 Dr. Hans Frank 130
8 Hans Fritsche 130
9 Baldur von Schirach 130
10 Joachim von Ribbentrop 129
11 Wilhelm Keitel 129
12 Albert Speer 128
13 Alfred Jodl 127
14 Alfred Rosenberg 127
15 Constantin von Neurath 125
16 Walther Funk 124
17 Wilhelm Frick 124
18 Rudolf Hess 120
19 Fritz Sauckel 118
20 Ernst Kaltenbrunner 113
21 Julius Streicher 106

(3) I can't find a mainstream academic article estimating Hitler's IQ, which is perhaps not surprising considering how politically incorrect it would be to score him highly. The closest I can find are these:
133 - In an article linked in the above article, 'Pumpkin Person', who specialises in estimating famous people's IQs, estimated Hitler's as 133. The link is dead and the page has been deleted from the Wayback Machine.

(4) Of course you have to consider that IQ is an overall measure and people can be for instance, good at maths but bad at verbal skills etc. Hitler was top of his class at school. His art was also legit (and if he had stuck at it he would have improved).

(5) Don't do yourselves down, 110 is more intelligent than 75% of White people, and 118 is more intelligent than 88%.

(6) As @SirRealKiller said, while Hitler could not be IQ tested as he was hiding in Argentina dead, considering the IQs of his top guys and the fact that they followed him, and what they said about him, his IQ was probably at least 130. That's conservative, most estimates in people discussing this cluster around 140.

(7) Membership of the Nazi Party maxed out at 8 million, which was about 10% of the German population. Most people weren't Nazis, most people are just NPCs who obey authority.

(8) Over a million foreigners fought with the Germans in WW2. Famously most of the final defenders of the Bunker were French SS.

Hitler was very average and kind of dumb. He dropped out of school and managed to not get into art school. His book Mein Kopf is kind of badly written like something a emo teenager or your dumbass uncle at thanksgiving with overbearing opinions nowdays would write and think they were changing the world with their brilliance. Hitler was neither smart nor educated. This idea that he had to be smart to start a huge war is baffling. Without his weird rise to power, he likely would have been doing the modern day equivalent as working at McDonalds.

An interesting thought, would Hitler still have risen to power if the German people weren't so crippled from WWI?

Back