Who deserves the FW title shot after Edgar?

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Assuming that 1) Edgar returns to fight Holloway and 2) doesn't win the FW title (which may get Max an immediate rematch), who would deserve the FW title shot after that?

Brian Ortega already said he's "willing to wait" for a title shot after beating Cub Swanson. This comment annoys me, partially because I hate it when fighters "wait" for their shot -- they should stay active. If they can't beat other top contenders, then they don't deserve the title shot anyway.

However, I'm also not convinced that Ortega is next in line after Edgar. I'd argue you could make a case for Ricardo Lamas deserving the next shot as well, assuming he wins his upcoming fight (which was supposed to be against Aldo). Does anyone else feel that Ortega isn't necessarily in a position to wait it out?

EDIT -- Consider this scenario:

Ortega elects to wait for a title shot, while both Elkins and Lamas win their next fights. While waiting, Elkins and Lamas then square off. The winner of a potential Lamas/Elkins fight would easily leapfrog Ortega for the next title shot, IMO.

Last edited:
Brian Ortega, easily. I'm always for the "fresh" matchup. If Ortega has to take 1 more fight waiting for Holloway/Edgar to play out, so be it but I think he's earned it after the Cub win.

Ortega Vs Elkins is the fight to make imo.

I think Elkins is at 5 wins in a row.

Ortega, of course. He has the highest win over all contenders right now.

I guess Ortega at this point, although I'm pretty excited about Max vs Edgar due to the stylistic challenge that Frankie brings that Max has not encountered at this level yet. I always wanted to see Max vs Edgar or Mendes before he was champ. If Max beats Edgar, then Ortega and then Mendes (assuming he returns at full force) that would be a nice setup for Conor to return to 145 for a rematch in 2019 (we can only dream...).

Brian Ortega, easily. I'm always for the "fresh" matchup. If Ortega has to take 1 more fight waiting for Holloway/Edgar to play out, so be it but I think he's earned it after the Cub win.

I'd agree with you if Ortega takes 1 more fight before his title shot... which would be the #1 contender fight. If Ortega waits, he could get skipped.

Consider this scenario:

Ortega elects to wait, while both Elkins and Lamas win their fights. Lamas and Elkins then square off -- the winner of a potential Lamas/Elkins fight could EASILY leapfrog Ortega for a title shot.

This is what I mean. If Edgar is so injured he has to retire, and the UFC needed a FW contender tomorrow, you'd have to peg Ortega. But if he waits 6-8 months, he could easily be pushed aside by either Lamas/Elkins.

Agree with Ortega. Hard not to give it to him after Saturday. Just needs to work on striking. But that submission game....

Agree with Ortega. Hard not to give it to him after Saturday. Just needs to work on striking. But that submission game....

I just edited my main post -- I agree with you that Ortega would get the title shot if Edgar was done and the title fight was right away. However, Ortega could get passed by if he elects to wait too long. For example, if Elkins & Lamas both win, then fight, the Lamas/Elkins winner would deserve it more than Ortega. This is why waiting is bad.

Ortega. Frankie had his chance and got hurt. I'd do Max vs Ortega, Frankie gets the winner of Lamas fight for another shot at the belt. Keep the division moving. You get hurt or pull out you get passed over. No more delays.

I'd agree with you if Ortega takes 1 more fight before his title shot... which would be the #1 contender fight. If Ortega waits, he could get skipped.

Consider this scenario:

Ortega elects to wait, while both Elkins and Lamas win their fights. Lamas and Elkins then square off -- the winner of a potential Lamas/Elkins fight could EASILY leapfrog Ortega for a title shot.

This is what I mean. If Edgar is so injured he has to retire, and the UFC needed a FW contender tomorrow, you'd have to peg Ortega. But if he waits 6-8 months, he could easily be pushed aside by either Lamas/Elkins.
I think Elkins would have to win in order for that scenario to work out. Lamas already has a definitive loss to Holloway so I think it would be hard for him to leapfrog Ortega. Elkins would have to have a spectacular finish to do it and that's unlikely.

For me it should run like this.

Holloway vs. Edgar/ Winner vs. Ortega/ Elkins vs. Lamas provided they both win obviously with the winner getting the next shot after Ortega.

Hard to argue over Edgar being next in line, after that Ortega has definitely set himself up for a title fight with several impressive wins.

Conor left this division in a bad way what with several Interim titles, this gives the weight class a chance to be re-established with several fresh contenders.

Anyone.

Edgar is a great guy, but enough is enough.

I think Elkins would have to win in order for that scenario to work out. Lamas already has a definitive loss to Holloway so I think it would be hard for him to leapfrog Ortega. Elkins would have to have a spectacular finish to do it and that's unlikely.

Fair enough. Of course, if Michael Johnson beats Elkins and then beats Lamas, I would also consider that a scenario where Johnson could leapfrog Ortega.

I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling that Ortega will not get his title shot if he waits. The only way I see Ortega getting a title shot for his next fight is if Frankie Edgar decides to retire. If Edgar vs Holloway happens, someone is going to leapfrog Ortega. I just feel it.

Fair enough. Of course, if Michael Johnson beats Elkins and then beats Lamas, I would also consider that a scenario where Johnson could leapfrog Ortega.

I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling that Ortega will not get his title shot if he waits. The only way I see Ortega getting a title shot for his next fight is if Frankie Edgar decides to retire. If Edgar vs Holloway happens, someone is going to leapfrog Ortega. I just feel it.
Well, Frankie for sure isn't retiring. He was just on MMA Hour. He said he already talked to Dana and they're targeting Holloway vs. Edgar for March or April. If that's the case it really isn't that long at all for Ortega to sit out and wait.

I'm hoping Michael Johnson beats Elkins and gets matched with the Stephens/Choi winner.

Back