Who deserves more criticism for inactivity over past several years : Stipe or Jones?

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
# of fights over the past 4 years:

Stipe 2
-vs DC 8/15/20
-vs Ngannou 3/27/21

Jones 2
-vs Reyes 2/8/20
-vs Gane 3/4/23

Who deserves more criticism for inactivity over the past 4 years: Stipe or Jones?

Also, I just realized that neither fighter has a victory over a current relevant/T5 ranked fighter in a looooooong time.

Stipe's W's vs someone who is still relevant/active in UFC: none
Jones' W's vs someone who is still relevant/active in UFC: 3: Gane (#2 HW), Reyes (#14 LHW), Smith (#10 HW)

Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Jones.

Stipe at least has a full time job outside of fighting, but he has always been a bit of a diva, sitting out waiting for title fights or he refuses to fight. He just wants the belt and nothing else, whether he deserves a title shot or not.

Jones strategically sat out for 3 years waiting for Francis to leave or age out.

Ngannou left the UFC and Jones was ready for HW almost overnight, was booked against his easiest stylistic matchup for the vacant belt almost immediately after Francis left.

Won the belt, and then cherry picked his 1st and only defense. Picking a 41 year old man that hadn't won a fight in over 2 years.

Which tbf wasn't SO unreasonable at the time, but in the meantime we have had somebody step out from the crowd and establish himself as the clear top contender and best guy in the division in Tom Aspinall.

The division is no longer in a posotion where it makes sense for Jones to cherry pick an old man while he's holding the belt hostage. When the fight happens Stipe will be 42 years old and it will be 4 years since he last won a fight in the UFC.

Also, I just realized that neither fighter has a victory over a current relevant/T5 ranked fighter in a looooooong time.

Stipe's W's vs someone who is still relevant/active in UFC: none
Jones' W's vs someone who is still relevant/active in UFC: 3: Gane (#2 HW), Reyes (#14 LHW), Smith (#10 HW)

Pretty crazy when you think about it.

This is bullshit.

The only reason Ngannou "isn't relevant" is because Dana didn't want to pay him what he was worth.
Right now, Ngannou is "more relevant" and MADE MORE MONEY THAN all of the above, put together, with his exhibition with Fury ... and his pending match with Joshua.

This is bullshit.

The only reason Ngannou "isn't relevant" is because Dana didn't want to pay him what he was worth.
Right now, Ngannou is "more relevant" and MADE MORE MONEY THAN all of the above, put together, with his title shot at Fury ... and his pending match with Joshua.
It's not bullshit at all.

My statement still holds true. Ngannou is not relevent in the UFC because he's not fighting in the UFC anymore. Simple as that.

When/who was Stipe's last W vs a fighter that's still relevent in the UFC today?

I don’t think no one should get criticism for inactivity. Shit happens in life.
I think It's about what you deserve after said inactivity.

I had no problems with Colby never fighting, Stipe never fighting etc... I don't miss ya'll anyway.

Problem is the rewards these guys gets after the lay off. Hate that shit.

I love MMA and it's truly sad what the UFC is doing with the HW division.

This is bullshit.

Right now, Ngannou is "more relevant" and MADE MORE MONEY THAN all of the above, put together, with his exhibition with Fury ... and his pending match with Joshua.

what title shot at Fury... you mean the commemorative belt they got from a cracker jack box????? means nothing... less than the BMF belt...
1706118121501.gif

It's not bullshit at all.

My statement still holds true. Ngannou is not relevent in the UFC because he's not fighting in the UFC anymore. Simple as that.

When/who was Stipe's last W vs a fighter that's still relevent in the UFC today?

You're burying your head in the sand regarding the worth (and standing) of the two fighters each each has faced ... hiding behind "technical details."

100% of the MMA community rates DC over Reyes;
100% of the MMA community rates Ngannou over Gane.

Jones didn't even have the balls to face Ngannou ... and only "became a heavyweight" the moment Ngannou left the UFC (after hiding for 3 years).

Get real dude.

# of fights over the past 4 years:

Stipe 2
-vs DC 8/15/20
-vs Ngannou 3/27/21

Jones 2
-vs Reyes 2/8/20
-vs Gane 3/4/23

Who deserves more criticism for inactivity over the past 4 years: Stipe or Jones?
Jon had a title at LHW that he abandoned. Then came back to win a Vacant HW title when Frank left. Now he seems to clearly have no intention of defending the HW title and will only fight Stipe. I blame him for holding up the HW division when he could just fight Stipe for the "Legacy" belt and allow the division to move on. It would be different if he was intent on fighting Aspinall after fighting Stipe.

As for Stipe he has not held anything up. He has also stated he will fight Aspinall after beating Jon (if he were to do that).

You're burying your head in the sand regarding the worth (and standing) of the two fighters each each has faced ... hiding behind "technical details."

100% of the MMA community rates DC over Reyes;
100% of the MMA community rates Ngannou over Gane.

Jones didn't even have the balls to face Ngannou ... and only "became a heavyweight" the moment Ngannou left the UFC (after hiding for 3 years).

Get real dude.

I already stated Jones'...when/who was Stipe's last W vs a fighter that's still relevent in the UFC today?

Jones no doubt , he took long hiatus' for no good reason more than once

Stipe seems more like the diva to me. Jones was going to fight right after Gane with Stipe. People forget the BS why Jones has that gap. He had to bulk for a year, then wait for Ngannou/Stipe to happen, then UFC/Ngannou had contract disputes which they put Gane in instead of Jones for his last fight on his contract (makes sense, why risk Jones and then Ngannou leaves). Jones was the cookie for UFC to give Ngannou to stay.

Stipe could've fought a contender to earn a title shot. He chose to wait until he got a free title shot.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is to blame.

You get the stars that make the big money and don't really need to fight and may even have more interest in other things they got going on and all of sudden fighting is now done on their time frame not the UFC's or fans timeframe that works.

UFC struggles with this daily and as fighter pay continues to grow it will be more and more common. Most champs it hard to get them in cage twice in 12 months right now and that is about the best we can hope for. Some high paid top contenders are the same way.

Why do they need to be criticized? If they don't want to fight, they don't have to, its not hurting me. Is someone here losing sleep, because Stipe isn't fighting enough?

Just over the past few years? I dunno, still probably Jones. Stipe is old, Jones got sidelined multiple times for PEDs, then just took 3 years off and seemingly waited for the HW belt to be vacant before finally moving up, despite talking about it like a decade ago.

Back