Who decided what the Universal symbols should be?

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many years ago universal symbols started being used instead of labels and some questionable symbols are used. This symbol is supposed to denote wheelchair accessible but that wheelchair won't roll very far.
International-Symbol-of-Accessibility.png

How did a magnifying glass become the symbol for searching when it is better suited to magnifying the page size.
54527.svg

Then every manufacturer uses symbols on their products that they expect people to understand the meaning of. Did they expect that, at some point, nobody will be able to read? They have to be able to read to go into the operator's manual to find out what the symbols mean.

The podcast 99% invisible deals with this topic in an episode

Who decided that watching people dancing in unison is entertaining. I never understood that one either

The Universe decided.

Duh.

Behold the universal symbol for your woman

download.png

White people, ts. It's time we eliminate these icons of oppression

We should talk about the universal language Esperanto.

What a sad sack of shit.

'esperanto'

We should talk about the universal language Esperanto.

What a sad sack of shit.

'esperanto'

Yes, that was a great idea. Come up with a completely new language to avoid learning someone else's language.

Exit sign colors are another oddity. Some states use red, some green and there can even be variations in different cities within a state.
United-States-Exit-Sign-Preference-Infographic1.png

There are also variations in the plcementof signs. Many only require them at ceiling level where other places require them at ceiling and ground level because smoke rises and blocks the exit signs. Red is used because it denotes an emergency and green is used because it denotes go. There are exits that can only be used in an emergency and exits that can be used any time.

I hate Unicode.

Sorry, I've been bottling that up for a while. It almost seemed appropriate.

Back