White: Ngannou could be the next big thing, literally and figuratively

Very impressed with his current training footage too.

A fantastic natural athlete but he also puts a lot of attention into the finer points of technique.

Very talented, I want to see him as champ.

What I'm worried about is he seems to be living out of UPI by White's account. Then who is coaching him on technique? Who are his sparring partners?
upi?

I like Ngannou a lot, I seen basically all his fights now pre UFC and since he has been in UFC and he can be champ for sure, he has very crisp hands and obviously has huge power. I was worried about his TDD but so far its been good and he has improved it a lot. I can honestly see him beating Stipe, because Stipe has zero head movement, he is very stiff, I could see Ngannou knocking him out cold. And I like Stipe.

Dana is right in that Ngannou has huge talent, but to be a superstar requires so many other factors.

His English skills are improving quite rapidly also. He seems to being making a concerted effort in improving his accessibility. I was really looking forward to the JDS match up, but Overeem is a heck of consolation prize.
As to if he's ready to take the crown, who can know? With guys with a ton of natural talent who are still fairly early in their training, you never really know what you are going to get from fight to fight. They drastically change each time they enter the octagon, which also makes it hard to gameplan against because what may have been a glaring flaw could be alleviated between camps alot more effectivly than with a more mature and finished fighter.

Strikeforce HW GP Cormier crushes him fairly easily.

Has he fought any strong grapplers yet?

He fought Curtis Blaydes but he's green as hell too. And Arlovski but he's completely shot.

Really we have no idea how Ngannou fares against top competition. He's probably being rushed into the deep end a little too fast but the HW division is fucking terrible.

Pretty much most of the top 10 HWs is decimated by drug busts and injuries. JDS, Rothwell and Lesnar are out for PEDs. Cain, Hunt and Lewis are all out injured and possibly not returning soon, if at all. The only elite HWs left are Stipe, Overeem and Werdum. There's literally only 4 elite HWs left in the sport.

Can't wait! But who is the White Ngannou?

I want to believe, but even if he takes an L to AO I'm glad they're running with this guy this early.

Better than losing what's perceived as a "placeholder" match up unexpectedly to a no name.

But the whole "I just learned that kimura backstage" thing sounds neat but either you're telling tales to seem badass, or your camp is introducing a standing sub to their fighter minutes before a fight which can get a guy stuck on trying something he hasn't dialed in yet.

Seems silly to make it up, possibly delusional if true lol.

But hey, we deserve to have something awesome to make up for what has been 2017 so let's go N'GOATU

Reem is too crafty to let Ngannou run through him. In deep water Ngannou will gas if Reem fights smart.

How da fuck Ngannou deserves to fight Overeem?

His only significant win is old and chinny Arlovski who was renked N7.

He must fight fight JDS / Rothwell first to deserve a fight with N2.

WTF?

I don't buy the hype of this fighter yet because his high ranking position is a bite inflated. He is basically untested against elite competition, and did not exactly went through some murderous row in his 5-0 win streak.

Bojan Mihajlović is 0-3 in his last 3 UFC fights

Luis Henrique is 1-2 in his last 3 UFC fights

Curtis Blaydes is 2w 1 NC in his last 3 UFC fights

Anthony Hamilton is 0-3 in his last 3 UFC fights

Andrei Arlovski is 0-3 in his last 3 UFC fights (and was it before he fought Francis)

Strikeforce HW GP Cormier crushes him fairly easily.

Has he fought any strong grapplers yet?
No he is very untested against any form of quality opponent.
A off the hill Arlowski-win, in the year of 2016, is not exactly impressive?

Prince Charles is heir to the British throne and everyone knows it. But he's almost 70 and still only a prince, because his mom is a determinedly sturdy cuss. Don't count your crowns before they're hatched.

Ol Lizzy has a gin, a wine, a Martini and a glass of champas everyday.

No wonder she's still kicking about.

But the whole "I just learned that kimura backstage" thing sounds neat but either you're telling tales
It's become pretty cliche now.....ive lost count of the number of fighters who say "I just learned that" or "I improvised is the spur of the moment"

It's just like when GSP used to say he didn't lift weights at all, then footage leaked out of him doing it....or Jon Jones saying he rarely trains when a reporter for that albequercee newspaper knew fighters at Jacksonwink that said bones and arlovski would still be sparring long after everyone else was done

It's to add to your aura or mystique(if you are good enough to have one)

I agree with you though that it can come off sounding ignorant or almost delusional in one's confidence or abilities, but it works like a charm still to this day obviously with the way we're talking about ngannou.....but make no mistake about it, he practiced that standing kimura down to perfection in training I'm sure

ARE we giving up on Alistair being the star?

oh, its because we just were using him if he remained ubereem isnt it...

Fast track him then. I doubt he'd be a big PPV draw.

WME should be focusing on some of their current champs. i still think that with the right marketing they could make a star out of Stipe. instead we get to see the loveable housefather/fireman time and time again.

You should think that with a company like WME they could hire him a good PR manager and also give him some much needed charisma to appeal to the casual fan.

Back