which to u prefer as a spectator.....

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
a fighter who displays technical striking or a fighter who displays a mastery of jiu jitsu......i know both are amazing to watch but for me the more i watch and the more i understand about striking the more i really respect the art of striking.....(barry slipping morecrafts punch then catching him on the chin with a hook is my favorite example off the top of my head) thoughts?

I train BJJ, so obviously the mastery of Jiu-Jitsu

Best example:

I prefer the one that ends in a finish.

a fighter who displays technical striking or a fighter who displays a mastery of jiu jitsu......i know both are amazing to watch but for me the more i watch and the more i understand about striking the more i really respect the art of striking.....(barry slipping morecrafts punch then catching him on the chin with a hook is my favorite example off the top of my head) thoughts?

I lean towards BJJ but the type of BJJ I enjoy (submission attempt heavy...guys that will risks giving up position for subms) are rare

and the type of striking I like is more common

<----- Pretty sure you know what I am going to say.

I really enjoy the striking game as well though. Any fighting is good.

btw, you didn't list it as an option but an elite wrestling/gnp style is my favorite style to watch (other than just anderson doing matrix stuff)

GSP
Couture
Fedor (When he gnp'd)
Sonnen

but I also love gnp guys that can transition to subs. That's my absolute favorite thing in mma. Like how fedor would be hitting and them boom, armbar.

and how bj penn would destroying stevenson from the top and then rear naked choked him faster than a viper.

I have a tough time recognizing technical striking vs. average striking outside of "he's hitting him very easily a lot."

With high level bjj, its very easy to catch. You know when a skilled sweep succeeds or a crazy submission works. So I'll take bjj

When I saw BJ pull off a jailbreak from underneath GSP in their second fight, I thought it was the greatest thing ever

TBH i really dont know i just like a fighter that does different stuff every time oh and elbows i love watching someone use elbows.

boxing by far

As spectator?
I put a good sub equal of a good KO

But if end into decision i prefer a striking battle

As what i consider more "legit"?
As long it bring to a victory it done the job
I don't like the "i'm gonna decision him" gameplan, but at the end get a W is theyr job and target

Don't care. Just finish. I love a Joe Lauzon fight as much as watching Chris Leben.

To me the best fights go back and forth in true MMA fashion.

I could never decide between the two. If the ground game is fast and active with many sweep and sub attempts it is just as fun to watch as a technical striking match. I guess in my heart of hearts I would say striking has a slight edge for me, but I would never want to chose one over the other.

I used to thaibox and box for a long time and I definitely preferred the striking game, because I could see what they were doing whereas the ground game seemed very passive and lame. But then I started to do BJJ and I found out about the subtle but very technical (and hard) aspects of it, therefore, I started to notice them in MMA bouts and now I very much appreciate the ground game too. Now I'm practising MMA and I simply love every aspect of it. I watch a lot of UFC with a mate whom I'm practising MMA with, and we even pause the game now and then to try ourselves what we've just been seeing, including KO'ing each other (that last part is a joke).

as a spectator...technical striking...esp if it finishes the fight:)

striking.

Grappling is great when both guys are being aggressive and going for subs or big GnP, but Lay n' Pray or "stifling jiu-jitsu" is really freaking boring.

Back