Which reputation would you rather have - pillowfisted technician or frontrunner destroyer?

I prefer the technician. A front runners career has this tendency of going south due to relying too heavily on (and/or falling in love with their) power.

a technician with no power that relies on pitter patter will lose his speed and reflexes faster than a destroyer will lose his power. how many champs had we had where they coudnt seriously hurt a guy with a few shots? gsp is the only one and thats because he was a superb wrestler.

I'll go technician. Mayweather has some KOs on his resume but that's certainly not what he was famous for or kept his career so profitable. Likewise for Petrosyan. Technicians and masters of the ring that hurt when they land but aren't frontrunner destroyers.

I was ready to be like "rumble and vitor have great technique" but you made sure to say they fall apart due to cardio etc..

I'd rather be a front runner destroyer. Its easier to build cardio than learn to be fearless/ ferocious, imo.

a technician with no power that relies on pitter patter will lose his speed and reflexes faster than a destroyer will lose his power. how many champs had we had where they coudnt seriously hurt a guy with a few shots? gsp is the only one and thats because he was a superb wrestler.

Yeah, that's when both of their careers are practically over, they're both shells of their former selves, and it wouldn't even matter anyway. No ones getting anywhere with just power (I guess unless you're Dan Henderson and the person you knocked out eons ago miraculously became champion). Better skilled fighters usually make it to the top and stay there for longer, at their peak. Let GSP, Cruz and Mighty Mouse be the example, skills pay the bills.

Pillow fisted technician. I prefer methodical fighters who use their brains..

I want to be the pillowfisted destroyer!

If that's a thing.

Yeah, that's when both of their careers are practically over, they're both shells of their former selves, and it wouldn't even matter anyway. No ones getting anywhere with just power (I guess unless you're Dan Henderson and the person you knocked out eons ago miraculously became champion). Better skilled fighters usually make it to the top and stay there for longer, at their peak. Let GSP, Cruz and Mighty Mouse be the example, skills pay the bills.

gsp counts but mighty mouse and cruz are terrible examples. how many guys that size have big power compared to the higher weight classes? midget weight is not something i had in mind.

and later on in your career, your more likely to fluke your way into a titleshot or still KO people on the regular to maintain popularity.

Pillow fisted front runner.

gsp counts but mighty mouse and cruz are terrible examples. how many guys that size have big power compared to the higher weight classes? midget weight is not something i had in mind.

UFC consists mostly of weight classes that I would consider to be smaller, and I'm a small person, so that's what I had in mind. I would consider welter-weight to be the median in between the two, and even there, more technical fighters seem to be the ones who are exposed less often. The terrifying, gritty one-punch knock out guy being picked apart by the focused counter-striker seems to be a reoccurring tale in MMA.

not much reason to be the destroyer if you lose to the pitter patter

UFC consists mostly of weight classes that I would consider to be smaller, and I'm a small person, so that's what I had in mind. I would consider welter-weight to be the median in between the two, and even there, more technical fighters seem to be the ones who are exposed less often. The terrifying, gritty one-punch knock out guy being picked apart by the focused counter-striker seems to be a reoccurring tale in MMA.

nope in WW we've had back to back big power punchers at the top since GSP left. at 145, a guy with a destroyer left hand became so overpowered, he started predicting the rounds he'd KO guys in. at light-weight, RDS, Khabib, cowboy, are all guys who try to destroy people and have big power. middleweight you got bisping who is usually mister pitter patter but he got the belt by destroying his opponent.

destroyers rule mma. pitter patter guys like GSP, benson henderson aren't as likely to be at the top than people who destroy their opponents.

Back