Which is the better movie, The Matrix, or Star Wars: A New Hope?

Which is the better movie, The Matrix, or Star Wars: A New Hope?

• Total voters
You can't be serious. Some schmuck working a dead end 9-5 office job, spending his evenings eating doritos and chilling on his computer isn't as relatable as a costume wearing weirdo living in a desert but in s distant planet. Pretty sure Arab nomads are the only people that can relate more to luke
Pretty sure every kid my age who saw that in the theater thinks you're wrong.

There are few movies I recall leaving the theatre where the entire audience was so pumped up (and kung fu fighting, lol) as the Matrix. Its one of my favorites.

That said, Star Wars was no slouch and the true game changer for the Sci Fi and merchandising and that is why I voted for that.

You can put Jar Jar Binks in a Star Wars film and it still doesn't ruin its legacy.
It's prevented me from seeing any of the recent films. So it did some damage.

I've always thought the Matrix movies were pretty overrated. Super slick action sequences and everything looks cool but little else. I didnt really care about any of the characters and dont even remember any of their names besides Neo.

Fuck what a matchup. 2 of my all time favorites. Gotta go with the Matrix. That movie blew my mind the 1st time I saw it. Action and visuals were unbelievable (to be fair Star Wars visuals were groundbreaking as well). Story was incredible as well. I love ANH so not an easy decision. Star War trigology destroys the Matrix trilogy easily though.

I'm picking the Matrix because that seems more like an adult movie compared to Star Wars.
funny that,as I picked Star Wars because I saw it as a kid,i was probably older than the average Sherdogger when the Matrix got released,and to me,it was just a nonsense.

Matrix. Easily.

Star Wars: ANH is boring, terrible acted, b-movie trash.

Star Wars was much better

Heroes journey vs existential philosophy
Ill go with the matrix since i feel the heroes journey is more cliché

Star Wars is I think the better film overall, the Matrix does have some excellent action seuqences and a good deal of style but character wise I don't think its on the same level, really just Weavings Agent Smith being truly memorable where as Han, 3PO, Leia, Obi Wan, Vader, Tarkin, etc in the original are all very memorable.

Last edited:
Heroes journey vs existential philosophy
Ill go with the matrix since i feel the heroes journey is more cliché

Really when you get down to it the Matrix is still very much a heroes journey, it has some philosophical widow dressing but it comes down to Neo learning from a master and believing in himself as the "chosen one" in the end.

Honestly though that's no bad thing for me I think its more within the range of the Wachowski's as writters/directors, the sequels trying to move beyond that largely fell flat on their faces.

Really when you get down to it the Matrix is still very much a heroes journey, it has some philosophical widow dressing but it comes down to Neo learning from a master and believing in himself as the "chosen one" in the end.

Honestly though that's no bad thing for me I think its more within the range of the Wachowski's as writters/directors, the sequels trying to move beyond that largely fell flat on their faces.
Good point. Theyre similar if you think about it.

Same with harry potter

The fucking Matrix all the way. Star Wars is shit. What's the plot? "These guys are bad. These guys are good. Now they fight." Fucking stupid.

Star Wars for sure. I love the Matrix but I re-watch the first Star Wars a lot more often.

I get it how the theme of the Matrix is more elaborated and thought provoking, I'll give it that

However not everything has to be "elaborated" to be great. A simple story with enough good elements could be greater than the "elaborated" concept and this is clearly the case.

The legacy that started with A New Hope will be very hard to beat in the present and future history of cinema

Since the question is better movie, not better series/legacy/etc, I'm going with The Matrix. It's just simply a better movie than A New Hope, and I have major nostalgia picturing Luke on a desert planet, shooting womp rats.

I can't believe The Matrix is winning. Not that A New Hope was that great, but The Matrix is so fucking overrated. Shit acting, shit dialogue, shit characterization, and shitty pretentious plot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back