Which is the best Lightsaber battle from Star Wars?

Best?

• Obi Wan vs Vader (Star Wars)

• Luke vs Vader (Empire)

• Luke vs Vader (ROTJ)

• Darth Maul vs Obi Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn (TPM)

• Dooku vs Yoda (AOTC)

• Anakin vs Obi Wan (ROTS)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I still disagree.

The novelization of ROTS was actually far superior to the movie. It did little things the movie SHOULD have done, but didn't.

A quick example off the top of my head is the Dooku fight. Rather than Anakin just beating him, Dooku is wondering how Anakin is getting stronger through the fight. When he takes out Obi-Wan and Anakin kicks him off that bridge to the floor, there is a moment when Dooku understands Anakin was half Sith already and is using his anger. He begins taunting Anakin while losing about losing his jedi composure and Anakin starts thinking too hard to control his anger and starts losing again. At that moment, Palpatine from his chair shackled begins coaching Anakin. "Don't fear your anger Anakin. Use it." Etc, that fit Palpatine like a glove and would have made that scene way more meaningful.

Once he cut off his hands and hesitated, Palpatine orders him to kill Dooku as Chancellor and reasons Dooku is the head of the enemy army. He gives anakin what he was waiting his whole life for. permission to do something like that.

It was so much better done in the book. And that's just an opening scene. The entire book was full of better than we got on screen.

In the book. Yoda mid fight with the emperor, realizes the Emperor is stronger and he can't win. Palpatine actually kicks his ass and he has to run.

Which was way better than the fight ending with Yoda slipping and losing his grip.

If you haven't read the novel, you should. Because you will spend a lot of time going "Why the fuck didn't they put this in the movie and translate it to the screen?????"

The novel was 10x better than the movie and made the turn seem much more organic. It also emphasizes far more just how much like a father Anakin thought of Palpatine, same as he thought of Obiwan like an older Brother. Padme aside, he was actually closer to Palpatine than Obiwan. Palpatine was the only one who knew about him and Padme. Palpatine was the guy who wouldnt betray his secret love life to the jedi. Anakin was actually shocked when he realized Palpatine knew and covered for him. Palpatine thought the jedi chastity rules. Were archaic and silly, so no he wouldn't betray a friend. That's how Anakin saw it. He was put in an impossible choice between his father and brother basically.

THAT they should have translated to the screen. Mace windu now had suspicion about Palpatine and was actively trying to wedge him away from Anakin while obviously not trusting Anakin and keeping secrets from Anakin. The whole council was.

it translated 100x better in the novel because the novel was done differently

And I made the mistake of reading it first before watching the movie.

OK all of that sounds pretty damn cool and I agree those touches would have made ROTS better. TBF a well done novel will always be better than a movie because you can only cram so much into 2 hours of screen time. But yeah, some of that could have been worked into the movie to make it flow more organically.

OK all of that sounds pretty damn cool and I agree those touches would have made ROTS better. TBF a well done novel will always be better than a movie because you can only cram so much into 2 hours of screen time. But yeah, some of that could have been worked into the movie to make it flow more organically.

Duel of the Fates was just epic. Maul pulling out the duel bladed saber, Jedi using the force as offense and defense, 2 v 1 of QGJ and Obi Wan vs Maul. Just all in all one of the best saber fights out there.

Technically duel of the fates is probably best due to Ray Parks skill, he makes that wushu style have impact/danger which I think the prequels often struggled with afterwards, Chris Lee having a good amount of sword play experience helped I spose.

As bits of drama though Luke's fights with Vader and Empire and Jedi are on another level for me, arguably the two high points of the entire franchise.

Vader wrecking everyone at the end of Rogue One was also an epic light saber moment

Good call, someone also mentioned Luke's "hallway of death" moment at the end of Mando S2.

That was the Luke we all wanted and almost made me forget the way they Massacred My Boy in Last Jedi.

Yes because the Darth Maul fight is easily taking this.

That fight redefined how we viewed lightsaber battles and gave every star wars fan who had been waiting since 83 a boner.

ROTS suffered from being an exceptionally shitty movie and turned big bad Vader into Darth Babykiller.
It’s all incredibly goofy and cringeworthy. After our protagonist turns genocidal in the span of 10 minutes after an evil old man makes a very vague promise about cheating death, he has a 20-minute videogame-worthy fight filled with profound and resonating dialogue, such as “Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can.” and “From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!”, against a man who we are told is like “his brother”, even though the actual movies never show any semblance of deep friendship between the two.
By the time we got to the fight, yes it had the makings of a teacher vs Samurai and SHOULD have been better. Instead I felt like i was watching an 80's Ninja movie where they did flips and spins for no apparent reason. The choreography was nowhere near as crisp and fluid as Maul's fight.

View attachment 1026420

2019-12-Star-Wars-High-Ground.jpg

"You can write this shit, George, but we can't say it."

- Harrison Ford

Andor is a phenomenal series, I can’t recommend it enough even if the person I’m recommending it to is not a fan of ‘Star Wars’. It’s sci-fi at its absolute best imo and could easily be viewed as a stand alone project even if you know nothing about the main franchise.

Seconded.

Andor was brilliant.

Surprised Palpatine vs. Yoda wasn't on there. That one is a future bonafide classic. I mean you got Dooku vs. Yoda which is pretty cringe flippy/wire-fu shit. Might as well have the Emperor in there.

Surprised Palpatine vs. Yoda wasn't on there. That one is a future bonafide classic. I mean you got Dooku vs. Yoda which is pretty cringe flippy/wire-fu shit. Might as well have the Emperor in there.
Palpatine vs Yoda and Anakin in clone wars was better lol

Back