Which is better to have?

Jason Rozborowskyj

If only intelligence prevailed.
@White
Reaction score
Buddy of mine and I are currently in a debate about which is better... to have a high number of wins versus loses or to have a high number of wins versus better quality opponents.

I think it's better to have beaten the better fighters.

He obviously thinks it's about the numbers. What you think?

Buddy of mine and I are currently in a debate about which is better... to have a high number of wins versus loses or to have a high number of wins versus better quality opponents.

I think it's better to have beaten the better fighters.

He obviously thinks it's about the numbers. What you think?

Quality opponent wins, pawns bullshit wins anyday brah...Next!

Obviously wins against quality opponents. This isn't even a question.

One is usually exclusive to the other.

As a fighter goes up in competition, only the tiptop Elite will stay with a couple of losses.

Seen a lot of undefeated fighters step up and get smashed.

I'm with you on this one. I'd stick with a BJ Penn record instead of picking a Khabib Nurmagomedov's, for instance.

P.S. No disrespect to Khabib whatsoever. My intention was to compare records between two fighters who belong in the same weight class (yeah yeah, I know BJ hasn't always been a lightweight).

Tell that to Fedro fans. 10 years, bro.

Fedor has crushed his share of cans but he also has a lot of quality names on his resume.

Why would you even want to open that can of worms? I want nothing to do with this.

giphy.gif

Playing devil's advocate: racking up wins against mid- and low-tier opponents certainly has its benefits. Guys like Jim Miller, George Sotiropoulos, and Mike Brown were major topics of conversation during their win streaks. They gained fans and exposure, while also earning fight of the night/finish bonuses. People talked about them as if they were legitimate title contenders and jumped on their bandwagons. If they had fought better competition sooner, they would have racked up losses and likely wouldn't have reaped these benefits.

Quality. I mean look at Mark Hunt, dude's record is pretty bad considering he has just 2 more wins than losses but his wins are coming against the top guys at HW.

Compare that to the Fedor now who, since his Strikeforce run, has been getting wins but they're coming against mediocre competition.

Beating fucking cans, is not impressive..even if a fighter is 99-0..LAWL

Compare a guy like Dom Cruz to Thomas Almeida, or Chris Weidman or Jon Jones to other guys who are 13 or 14-0 and just getting into the ufc, where those guys were champs or have already beaten top guys

If it were all about numbers the combat sports world would be a much different place

lol I don't even understand how it could be an argument. Travis Fulton has 250+ wins, and there isn't a person on the planet dumb enough to argue he's better than say Cain who only has 13 wins comparatively.

Back