Which Gym do I go to in Bangkok?

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tried the gym questions and answers sticky and got no info, so I'll try it here:

Hello all,

I've been planning a trip to Thailand for training for over two years now, and it hasn't come to fruition for one reason or another. However, this summer I might finally get the chance. Since I'm on a limited budget and the flights to Bangkok are cheapest from here in Europe, I'll stay there. Also, I hear the best training is in the capital.
My question is; where do I train?
Bangkok is literally flooded by world-class gyms, and each has a bunch of world-renowned trainers/fighters in it. I've sort of narrowed it down to:

-Sitsongpeenong
-Yokkao Training Center
-Banchamek Gym
-Petchyindee Academy
-Sitmonchai Gym

I've looked at Sitsongpeenong, which is probably enjoying a boom with westerners, due to Sittichai's successes in Glory. I hear the training is serious and intense, the facilities are clean and staff are foreigner-friendly - all pluses in my book. Also, it offers on-site accommodation, which is great for me.

I've seen some great vids of training in Yokkao Training Center. Facilities look great, great stable of fighers/instructors and it seems to have an abundance of both foreigners (so it must be farang-friendly) and Thais (so training must be serious). Thing is, I haven't been able to find info on it (rates, accommodation, etc.)

I'm interested in Banchamek Gym. Buakaw is a legend, so a gym founded by him can't NOT be good. I don't know much about it, if you have any experience there - share it.

Another gym I don't know much about - Petchyindee Academy. If you have any experience/knowledge, let us know what you think.

Another name which you hear thrown about a lot - Sitmonchai Gym. I know it's just outside Bangkok. I wonder what it's like. Advice?

These are my options guys. Let me know what you think.

Tried the gym questions and answers sticky and got no info, so I'll try it here:

Hello all,

I've been planning a trip to Thailand for training for over two years now, and it hasn't come to fruition for one reason or another. However, this summer I might finally get the chance. Since I'm on a limited budget and the flights to Bangkok are cheapest from here in Europe, I'll stay there. Also, I hear the best training is in the capital.
My question is; where do I train?
Bangkok is literally flooded by world-class gyms, and each has a bunch of world-renowned trainers/fighters in it. I've sort of narrowed it down to:

-Sitsongpeenong
-Yokkao Training Center
-Banchamek Gym
-Petchyindee Academy
-Sitmonchai Gym

I've looked at Sitsongpeenong, which is probably enjoying a boom with westerners, due to Sittichai's successes in Glory. I hear the training is serious and intense, the facilities are clean and staff are foreigner-friendly - all pluses in my book. Also, it offers on-site accommodation, which is great for me.

I've seen some great vids of training in Yokkao Training Center. Facilities look great, great stable of fighers/instructors and it seems to have an abundance of both foreigners (so it must be farang-friendly) and Thais (so training must be serious). Thing is, I haven't been able to find info on it (rates, accommodation, etc.)

I'm interested in Banchamek Gym. Buakaw is a legend, so a gym founded by him can't NOT be good. I don't know much about it, if you have any experience there - share it.

Another gym I don't know much about - Petchyindee Academy. If you have any experience/knowledge, let us know what you think.

Another name which you hear thrown about a lot - Sitmonchai Gym. I know it's just outside Bangkok. I wonder what it's like. Advice?

These are my options guys. Let me know what you think.
I believe JWP's nephew Noodles trained at Sitmonchai to lose alot of weight. so they are probably friendly to foreigners. I also knew a pro mma fighter who trained there aswell.

I believe JWP's nephew Noodles trained at Sitmonchai to lose alot of weight. so they are probably friendly to foreigners. I also knew a pro mma fighter who trained there aswell.
Any personal experience or info on how it was from this pro MMA fighter? What did he think?

Any personal experience or info on how it was from this pro MMA fighter? What did he think?
He seemed to enjoy it. Posted vids on facebook. I 'm not really in contact with him anymore but it seemed like a positive experience for him.

I'm guessing you want something Westerner oriented?

Noodles was his nephew???

Out of all those gyms, I would go check out Sitsongpeenong.
I'm more keen to check out Kiatphontip in Bangkok than anything else.

Only trained at Elite there though

Sitsongpeenong took my Muay Thai tô another level. I won't say anything bad about those other gyms as I haven't trained there.

Sitsongpeenong took my Muay Thai tô another level. I won't say anything bad about those other gyms as I haven't trained there.
What was it like? When did you go? What was sparring like? Any inconveniences?

If you get tired of nice fancy gyms, check out Muay Thai Plaza 2004 (strange name lol)...maybe spar with Saiyok if you get a chance. Over near where old Lumpinee Stadium was in the Lumpinee Park area.

Some footage I took awhile back...definitely more of a raw Thai gym feel. The dude clinching in the white shorts had just fought Saenchai a few weeks before that:

Purity in training. Morning 6-7 mile run then training.. rounds in the ring, clinch, then some basic weight and stretching. Then breakfast and most of us napped.

2pm second session. 30 min Thai rope then the same rounds. Sparring was Wednesday and i understand why Thais spar lite and i now soar Muay Thai like that.

I did it as a resident so I can't speak for the drop in experience.

Purity in training. Morning 6-7 mile run then training.. rounds in the ring, clinch, then some basic weight and stretching. Then breakfast and most of us napped.

2pm second session. 30 min Thai rope then the same rounds. Sparring was Wednesday and i understand why Thais spar lite and i now soar Muay Thai like that.

I did it as a resident so I can't speak for the drop in experience.
How do you communicate with the trainers? Do they speak English or...? Just curious.

How do you communicate with the trainers? Do they speak English or...? Just curious.

3 trainers speak pretty solid English. The rest speak enough English for you to understand their pad directions. Tim is one of the overall managers at the camp, not a trainer, but he's Aussie Thai só he's always there to translate and help English speakers fee comfortable

Back