Which grapplers are the toughest?

Magic Swag

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Not asking who would win an adcc or mma match or even a street fight. Who has the most mental and physical grittiness and toughness?

I gotta go either sambo or folkstyle wrestlers. It's a tough call, but I'll give sambo the nod.

Discuss.

making it to the top level of any grappling art/sport takes incredible toughness.

Not asking who would win an adcc or mma match or even a street fight. Who has the most mental and physical grittiness and toughness?

I gotta go either sambo or folkstyle wrestlers. It's a tough call, but I'll give sambo the nod.

Discuss.
Combat Sambo since they allow strikes... and headbutts... and groin shots!

Combat Sambo since they allow strikes... and headbutts... and groin shots!
But not elbows or knees if I'm correct?

Did U catch this over on the striking forum?

Bad ass technique!

No, elbows and knees are fine.

1.1. Удары руками наносятся любой частью кулака (кроме основания ладони), локтем, предплечьем в переднюю, боковую части головы, туловища.

1.2. Удары ногами наносятся коленом, голенью, стопой, пяткой в переднюю, боковую части головы (кроме встречного удара коленом, при проходе противника в ноги) туловища, по ногам (во внутреннюю и наружную части бедра или голени).

MMA grapplers, because when you hit one they try to carry on like it didn't happen.

All tough in their own ways. But, one could argue the grapplers competing in the biggest talent pools are toughest. I'm thinking world level judo players and wrestlers.

Did U catch this over on the striking forum?

Bad ass technique!

Elbows and knees are allowed as well.

After that vid does anyone here still have any doubts as to the fact that Sambists are indeed the toughest among grappling arts?

Also, Sambo competition rules are awesome - both spectacular and reasonably safe. Gloves and helmets provide limited protection but all kinds of strikes are permitted. Also, the kurtka (gi top) is great since it makes more throws possible and at the same time simulates civilian clothing - this will be useful for self-defense.

Any high level grappler will be tough as hell. I don't think you can really distinguish between them. Personally, I always found Judo to require the most pure toughness just because of the volume of falls you take, and the damage it does to your hands. Wrestling is certainly high intensity, but I've never really felt worn down from wrestling the way I have from Judo. BJJ is definitely the easiest in terms of general training.

like everyone said, you've got standout guys across many grappling disciplines. the difference between good and great is the difference between grit and quit.

but the consistently batshit, self-loathing, go-out-on-my-shield, death-before-dishonor motherfuckers are wrestlers. dudes always roll like their girlfriend is watching.

like everyone said, you've got standout guys across many grappling disciplines. the difference between good and great is the difference between grit and quit.

but the consistently batshit, self-loathing, go-out-on-my-shield, death-before-dishonor motherfuckers are wrestlers. dudes always roll like their girlfriend is watching.

I think the intensity and pace can be attributed to the fact that wrestlers grow up wrestling 3 2minute periods.

You have to act very urgent in a 2 minute period. No time to BS, not a lot of time to set things up, no time to be losing/defending. In wrestling it is "MOVE, MOVE, MOVE."

Somebody that started training BJJ with no prior experience in wrestling may have a different type of patience, a different pace and completely different outlook on grappling.

I remember when I first transitioned to BJJ after a few years of wrestling and I remember how tired I would get after a few minutes of rolling. Big difference between one long 5 minute continuous round and 3 2 minute rounds. I would try to explode the entire 5 minutes and it was very difficult to become accustomed to for the first few months. It's like I had to reteach myself when to expend energy and when to save it.

i've always wondered if judo wouldn't benefit from rounds. even just 2 minute rounds, best-of-two format, with a golden score third round if needed.

it seems like the impetus for most rule changes in the last 10 years has been to prevent stalling. not a whole lot of time to stall in a 2-minute round...

Judo in terms of pain tolerance. Wrestling in terms of mental/physical grind. BJJ in terms of patience.

This is stupid. Grappling in general breeds toughness and attracts toughness, which style you choose has more to do with your geographic region.

Back