Which boxers you would favor over peak Floyd more often than not?

Floyd wouldn't have anything to keep GGG at bay. Floyd managed to shut down Manny because he had Manny respecting his power so that Manny wouldn't rush in. Floyd would have absolutely zilch to deter GGG. GGG would just walk him down and wouldn't have to worry about any offence that Floyd could mount. Even the great Floyd wouldn't be able to rely on pure defence and not get hit for 12 rounds. I just don't see it happening. GGG is too big for Floyd. There is a limit in how big you can go up to fight opponents and GGG is 'it' as far as I'm concerned for Floyd. Brook couldn't keep GGG honest so there is no way in hell Floyd can.

Duran mounts a lot of offence and I believe it's his inside work that would really get to Floyd. There was a reason Joe Cortez was instructed to keep Hatton from working from the clinch and it was because Floyd didn't want to deal with it. I very much doubt he'd be able to handle the inside work that Duran could throw at him. And I never said Floyd had no shot against Duran, I just think Duran would come out the victor.

I agree Duran's infighting ability would be a massive factor in a hypothetical fight against Floyd, but when Floyd and Hatton actually did fight on the inside, Floyd clearly got the better of it. Cortez was breaking the two of them too early in that fight, but as the fight settled in (of course, Hatton had been allowed to foul his whole career on the inside when he was fighting in Britain), they were both allowed to fight on the inside, and Hatton definitely wasn't getting the better of it. Floyd was always plenty capable on the inside. Of course, Duran was as good as anyone in boxing history on the inside and better than Hatton at everything.

Hopkins was able to throw 800 punches at Tito? OK, take a look at how Floyd shut down Pacquiao or Mosley.How does Hopkins get a workrate like that going against a guy like Floyd? Floyd isn't Tito.

I agree Duran's infighting ability would be a massive factor in a hypothetical fight against Floyd, but when Floyd and Hatton actually did fight on the inside, Floyd clearly got the better of it. Cortez was breaking the two of them too early in that fight, but as the fight settled in (of course, Hatton had been allowed to foul his whole career on the inside when he was fighting in Britain), they were both allowed to fight on the inside, and Hatton definitely wasn't getting the better of it. Floyd was always plenty capable on the inside. Of course, Duran was as good as anyone in boxing history on the inside and better than Hatton at everything.
Floyd was the most complete fighter of the past 20 years. He wasn't ineffective anywhere. The guy could fight at any range. There were practically no holes in his game at his peak.

I don't see how Golovkin doesn't get outboxed. Because he's big? It makes no sense. Saying Golovkin beats Floyd is making an assumption based on things that neither fighter does.

Hopkins was able to throw 800 punches at Tito? OK, take a look at how Floyd shut down Pacquiao or Mosley.How does Hopkins get a workrate like that going against a guy like Floyd? Floyd isn't Tito.

That's how Im seeing it too

Charley Burley might be also another guy who could get the best of Floyd more often than not.
He has the best endorsement in the sport, if you think that Eddie Futch and Archie Moore said that he was the best boxer they ever saw.

The only match of his that we have on film is enough to see with our own eyes how slick he was.
Great defence ( untouchable even with his back on the ropes), faints, timing. He was very calm and picked his spots, while being first and foremost defensively responsible
like Floyd.

So we could make a case that he could beat Floyd because not only he could match him technique wise,
he would outmatch him physically. He fought guys from welterweight, middleweight and light heavyweight division.

He was known for being powerful with both hands (knocked down Moore 4 times) and he was both taller, stronger and
had a freaking long reach (75″ / 191cm) according to boxrec.
Floyd's reach (72″ / 183cm), one of his biggest assets throughout his career wouldn't cut it here.

I think the way Oscar approached Mayweather was not miles removed from what Golovkin does.

Golovkin is a good fighter but he's too one dimensional to beat a guy like Mayweather. Floyd's chin was good enough to take a shot and smart enough not to take another when he did. I don't see what Golovkin could do that other Mayweather opponents didn't try. No one outboxed Floyd. No knocked Floyd out.

No one of this era between 140-160 would beat Floyd.
If you shifted the weight classes down to 130-147 then it might be debatable. I don't see how you can include JMW and MW though seeing as he never really competed in those weight classes. If he fought Jones or Hopkins at 160 I'm not sure he'd win even one out of ten.

If you shifted the weight classes down to 130-147 then it might be debatable. I don't see how you can include JMW and MW though seeing as he never really competed in those weight classes. If he fought Jones or Hopkins at 160 I'm not sure he'd win even one out of ten.
He beat Cotto and Canelo who were both top middleweights.

I'm just saying, I never saw a couple of pounds be a difference in a Mayweather fight. Who imposed their size on Floyd?

I'm just saying, I never saw a couple of pounds be a difference in a Mayweather fight. Who imposed their size on Floyd?

Cotto a top mw ? Based on what? A beating of one legged Martinez literally one legged. Canelo I agree but that's not enough not to mention that was a horrible game plan trying to box mayweather.... I agree mayweather is one of the most complete fighters of the last 20 but I think you're putting him on too high of a pedestal like I said Castillo won that first fight, heck some people thought maidana beat him in their first fight. Here's the thing its not just a couple of pounds it's a lot more than that

Floyd was the most complete fighter of the past 20 years. He wasn't ineffective anywhere. The guy could fight at any range. There were practically no holes in his game at his peak.

I don't see how Golovkin doesn't get outboxed. Because he's big? It makes no sense. Saying Golovkin beats Floyd is making an assumption based on things that neither fighter does.

You keep bringing up him being big as the only reason.......ggg knows how to pressure very well more power better boxing acumen , uses the ring better not to mention power Floyd would feel those a lot more. Ggg is no slouch and like I said if Castillo and maidana can get to Floyd ggg certainly can, heck a lot of people get to Floyd he's just a master at adjusting

Cotto a top mw ? Based on what? A beating of one legged Martinez literally one legged. Canelo I agree but that's not enough not to mention that was a horrible game plan trying to box mayweather.... I agree mayweather is one of the most complete fighters of the last 20 but I think you're putting him on too high of a pedestal like I said Castillo won that first fight, heck some people thought maidana beat him in their first fight. Here's the thing its not just a couple of pounds it's a lot more than that
the Floyd that fought Maidana was not Floyd in his prime.
Cotto was a top middleweight based on being a defending lineal champion of the division.

Cotto wasn't even a big JMW (and I'd argue he did make use of his weight advantage to a certain extent) and Canelo didn't really have the style to make full use of his size advantage. Maidana and Castillo made use of their weight advantages in their fights.

Floyd never fought a guy as big as Hopkins who also happened to be an elite infighter (with elite skill elsewhere).

I'm not saying Hopkins would throw that many punches against Floyd, just that the often repeated idea that Hopkins was always a low output fighter doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Cotto wasn't even a big JMW (and I'd argue he did make use of his weight advantage to a certain extent) and Canelo didn't really have the style to make full use of his size advantage. Maidana and Castillo made use of their weight advantages in their fights.

Floyd never fought a guy as big as Hopkins who also happened to be an elite infighter (with elite skill elsewhere).
Well, people tell me all that time that Canelo is bigger than Golovkin.

Right off the bat? Ray Leonard.
Haven't seen enough of Robinson to say.

Corrales is the guy that comes to mind that would have given him the most trouble but he didn't use his size advantage. He walked straight in like Williams did against Sergio.

Canelo is one of his best wins but he doesn't have the best feet and also isn't a proven MW yet. I thought he was more a cherry pick but if he does go on to beat GGG and dominate at MW then that would change my assessment.

Cotto is another guy that was a good win but is more a WW that can't make weight anymore than true MW. I thought he made the fight closer than normal against Floyd due to his class not because of his size.

Williams, Margarito, Winky, Mosley, Trinidad are are guys that I don't think would be automatic wins for him at JMW. Jones, Hopkins, Toney at MW would be tall orders.

It's at least consistent that you don't place much emphasis on size but I do think it makes a big difference. I think Floyd's about top 20 all time so agree with your original statement if it was shifted over a couple of weight classes to where he actually fought his best fights.

Last edited:
the Floyd that fought Maidana was not Floyd in his prime.
Cotto was a top middleweight based on being a defending lineal champion of the division.
Big fish in a little pond.

Well, people tell me all that time that Canelo is bigger than Golovkin.
They are probably about the same size really. But of course Canelo's been growing all this time too. It was probably more his style than his size that played a factor in the Floyd fight.

Irrelevant.
It's relevant if you take the fight they had to infer success at MW for Floyd on an all time basis.

I agree with what you said we're just shifted by a couple of weight classes.

Back