Which Bjj school would you pick

Jimrunefrost

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
so I live in NC and there are 3 Bjj schools within a 5 mile radius that fit my work schedule. A Royce Gracie JJ network school, a Pedro Sauer direct lineage school, and an Erik Paulson CSW affiliate. All 3 have legit lineage and price is roughly the same. What do you think would be the best for newbie?

Go and do a trial class at each one. Then decide by listening to your gut. You'll make the right decision for yourself.

Which ever one you like the best is probably the one you should choose.

Go and do a trial class at each one. Then decide by listening to your gut. You'll make the right decision for yourself.
This. All schools have different “feels”. Some are more laid back and some are super intense. You go and find out which one suits your personality.

That's why taster classes exist..

I do know that Pedro stops by for seminars at the school often. I’m too green to realize what would be the best fit. I’ve taken Bjj in past but just a few months

What's your experience? What are your goals? How old / fit are you? Do you want to compete? IBJJF? All those things would impact my decision / recommendation. But as was said- go check out each gym.

Like other's have said. Try them all out. All being equal, check out the Vibe. How everyone interacts with each other.

do a trial class at every place. Make sure you do a class during the time period you plan on being there. Just feel it out

Sooo....as other have said each school has a vibe. That does not make one more legit than the others.

In my school we do about 1/4 time on judo stand up every class. The only other bjj school in the are that does any stand up does wrestling and they are all nogi. Is one better, nope, but it is different. Most schools here do not stand up at all....all are damn guard pullers

We tend to be older professionals. another school I visit is mostly young mma or military guys. Again one is not better.

We play a lot of open guard, another plays closed you have no clue because you don't know bjj but you will fing the "vibe"

Go try them out.

I do know that Pedro stops by for seminars at the school often. I’m too green to realize what would be the best fit. I’ve taken Bjj in past but just a few months

You really want to visit each school at least once before you make a decision or long term commitment of any kind. You are an individual and have your own preferences. Picking a school is a very personal thing and it is not one size fits all. See the facilities and what else you get besides bjj at each school. Look at the training space, the size of the classes, the cleanliness (or lack), are there gi rules that need to be followed. All of these are things that can influence your decision. Being new to bjj is fine when you are picking a school. All of us did it at one point. Good luck with the visits and let us know how it went.

Try all the classes for free.

Usually I advice try the closest gym that you can afford .assume that you like the environment.

To be honest, all three of the schools you mention, including the Sauer one, are in some of the most over-affiliated associations in the sport. Definitely look closely at the quality of the head instructor--not just on-paper credentials, but competition experience and, if possible, who the instructor actually trained under not just who belted him. You don't want to fall into a pseudo-McDojo.

Last edited:
While trial classes work, most instructors go for the hard sell which I hate. I would rather go to the school that i have already decided on and use the trial to negotiate membership and verify my initial assessment. Look at scheduling, how close it is to you and local tournament results. Schedule/close is really important, because it doesnt matter if the Mendes are teaching if you can only make one class a week there vs three a week at another school.

Back