Where's the best place to train in Pittsburgh

PFC Costs

They want you to take a kicking/punching fundamentals class before you actually get into real training to see where you are at, if you're in shape you can move up to the MMA fundamentals class.

The Kicking/Punching fundamentals is more designed for cardio than any real training. it used to be 100% Aerobic type, but they've moved away from that to have a more fighting centric focus. That is $99 for 6 weeks. 5 days per week 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm

The MMA fundamentals is about 60/40.. 60% Training & 40% HARDCORE Conditioning and that's $99 per month (I believe) M-Th 6:30 - 7:30

The MMA Cirriculum is $150 for the first month $99 per month after that, That's the only class with sparring and is 70% instructional 20% sparring, 10% conditioning. 7:30-8:30 (They usually go over though)

There actually isn't a contract system anymore, people just go month to month and all memberships give you full access to the gym whenever it's open. Otherwise it's a $20 workout fee.

Not sure what time it's open in the mornings, but it's open in the evenings 5-10 PM and on Saturdays starting at Noon I believe.

They also give you 1 free class in the Kicking/Punching fundamentals class (5:30 - 6:30)

OOH! And one of our guys... Dave Sachs, the guy Frodo was talking about just beat a Serra trained Jiu Jitsu guy in Atlantic City 2 weeks ago in the Ring of Combat 15. Next up is the ROC 16, Semifinals in October.

I'm from Pittsburgh too. I was looking into joining Steel City for BJJ soon, but I might have to look into that Team Balance instead. I wasn't aware of any other BJJ schools other than SCMA. Team Balance seems like it would be a better fit for me being that I'm a student, and it's a lot closer to me.

I joined Team Balance about 2 weeks after I posted that. :wink:

great to hear the comments about Pittsburgh Fight Club, I just inquired there about rates, schedules, etc... the other day.

UP for updates?

Team Balance Pittsburgh is now located at Kim's Martial Art & Fitness. I'm biased because I train and help instruct here, but I think we have a good school. The web sites need updated with the current schedules, but everything else is correct. We have very high quality coaches too. Our current schedule for judo and BJJ is:

• Monday: 7:00 Judo, 8:30 BJJ (gi)
  • Tuesday: 7:00 Judo, 8:30 BJJ (gi)
  • Wednesday: 7:00 Judo, 8:30 Grappling (no-gi)
  • Thursday: 7:00 Judo
  • Saturday: 11:00 Judo, 2:00 BJJ (gi), 3:00 MMA (no-gi)
  • Sunday: 2:00 Open Mat (gi or no-gi)

We just got new tile in the front area and in the locker room, new mats in both of our two training areas, a new paint job, and new carpeting around the rest of the place. The main training area is spring-loaded with Zebra tatami mats almost exactly like this Perfect Judo Floor. The second training area uses thicker Zebra tatami but isn't sprung. The place looks great! We also have men's and women's locker rooms with showers and rest rooms as well as a weight lifting area. Sorry if I come across as a car-salesman, but I'm very proud of our school. You should stop by for a free lesson if you wish!

cool frodo for that i went to southhills in july and was surprised at the "mma" which was kindo just grappling. and the mat was painful (burns) and like christmas colors. your new one at kim's is da bomb. i think i come in october once settled at school with classes

do you do any striking?

cool frodo for that i went to southhills in july and was surprised at the "mma" which was kindo just grappling. and the mat was painful (burns) and like christmas colors. your new one at kim's is da bomb. i think i come in october once settled at school with classes

do you do any striking?

I still train striking at south hills judo, in fact. Our split was amicable, and I wish them the best with their MMA and judo programs. They just got new mats at south hills too (probably right after you went there), but we did too at Kim's. I like our BJJ program there, and you should definitely stop by sometime in October. The first class is always free.

Where's the best place to train in Pittsburgh, thanks for your help, my buddy that I was teaching out here wants me to find one since he doesn't have a computer, does anyone train in or near there?
Thanks in advance.
Renzo Gracie Pittsburgh Jiu Jitsu Renzo Gracie Academy Pittsburgh | Renzo Gracie Pittsburgh is a school of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ), Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), and Kids Jiu Jitsu
We are an official Renzo Association with most accomplished group of gi and no gi BJJ competitors in the area. We regularly have special guests from fellow RGA school. We have "fundamentals", intermediate, and advanced level classes as well as open mat/free training times. We offer gi and "no-gi"/ submission grappling training. We also have an mma fight team with some of the area's best pros and amateurs and MMA practices which are not open to the public (fighters welcome). Our Lawrenceville School has been open for over 2 years. [email protected]

Back