Where to vacation in California?

San Francisco is fucking awful. Stick to the Central Coast or SoCal.

San Diego. i wouldn't go (i'm a central coast, carmel / Monterey person) but i've always heard about SD and it seems to fit your criteria.

california is as big as some countries. so there are a lot of options

LA has all the things you said. if you rent a car, you can people watch in hollywood and/or venice, go to long beach aquarium and go to a museum in the same day. you can drive to disneyland in about an hour depending where youre staying, you can go to universal studios, people watch, go to hearst castle etc.

there are also nice beaches like venice and santa monica, that have people watching and interesting things while you take a break from the water
disneyland is a two day thing if you include california adventure, California adventure has a ton of beer and a rollercoaster. he can probably do universal studios in one day and probably go on the skyspace slide in DTLA.

the aquarium of the Pacific is pretty cool I like the sea lions there and the huge sharks. and the enormous 30 ft tanks were scuba divers in them.

I want to try to avoid driving as much as possible. Biggest city I've ever drove in is Midland, tx. I'd probably crash or cause someone else to crash in heavy traffic.
Then stay the fuck away from LA and San Diego. San Francisco actually has a walking culture.

Just driving from point A to point B in any of these cities (or pretty much anywhere in southern California) is literally a life-endangering endeavor, and will be somewhat terrifying and traumatic to someone who isn't accustomed to major metropolitan traffic. Driving in SoCal is one of my least favorite experiences in life.

Then stay the fuck away from LA and San Diego. San Francisco actually has a walking culture.

Just driving from point A to point B in any of these cities (or pretty much anywhere in southern California) is literally a life-endangering endeavor, and will be somewhat terrifying and traumatic to someone who isn't accustomed to major metropolitan traffic. Driving in SoCal is one of my least favorite experiences in life.
I don't think driving would be good idea at all.
If I had to travel I figured I'd just uber/public transport to an area and spend the day in that area.

I'm leaning towards San Diego at the moment. The zoo, sea world, and the botanical garden in balboa park are places of interest so far.
Is Amtrak decent in cali or is it shitty like greyhound? I'm looking at hopping on the train and spending a day in LA

Last edited:
disneyland is a two day thing if you include california adventure, California adventure has a ton of beer and a rollercoaster. he can probably do universal studios in one day and probably go on the skyspace slide in DTLA.

the aquarium of the Pacific is pretty cool I like the sea lions there and the huge sharks. and the enormous 30 ft tanks were scuba divers in them.
I don't have any interest in Disney or universal studios. I don't like heights so the amusement park is out of the equation.
Thanks for the recommendations though.

I live on the central coast so just stay away from there please.

I live in Long Beach and work in LA occasionally. Go to San Fran. its a much better tourist location.

Went to LA/Seal Beach last year for about a week to visit my dad. Took the wife and kid (3 at the time) since they've never been. SD is a good shout, but Seal Beach is about 30 minutes from LA and (from my dad's location) about a 5 - 10 minute drive to the beach. We ended up not visiting LA so much as check out some nearby touristy things (LA Zoo, Griffith Observatory, Natural History Museum, Santa Monica Pier - shit geared towards grabbing a child's attention)

Go during the winter and a mountain town. For some reason the weather brings out the greatness in people.

If you want to see skyscrapers, I don't think California is the best place to go. Chicago, NY and Toronto would be your heaven.

southern cali is a dump ... The bay area is ok if you have to stay in a garbage state. next time vacation somewhere nice.

Long Beach
<GinJuice>

Long Besch is pretty awesome really. I like it.

But go to San Francisco. There are tons of skyscrapers and you can just walk around without having to drive unless you want to see something specific.

If you get a chance though, get up to Mendocino. It's really nice.

Yep that would my choice as well, right on the coast, decent sized town that's nice and walkable, excellent aquarium, quite close to Carmel and Big Sur for day trips as well.

Laguna Seca was my main reason.

Tons of great areas in CA. San Diego or Bay Area are the best choices. Forget LA. You could do Santa Barbara or Moterrey but I'd stick with SD or Bay Area. I live in the Bay Area but honestly I'd choose San Diego. Better weather, better beaches, better "chill" vibe overall.

I know this is probably meant as a joke, but parts of Oakland are really not bad at all. Just stay the fuck away from East Oakland and West Oakland (especially if you're white and look like you have money).

Back