Where to Retire

Ok. Let's do this. You get 3k a month retirement and you wanna live and not just survive.

Where do we go?

Are you comfortable living out of your home country?

Top 5 places to Retire on a budget:

1. Costa Rica
View attachment 666823

It's not the cheapest. But it's the closest thing you will get to a 1st world country on a third world budget. Good medical and safety ratings.

2. Cambodia
View attachment 666825

Cheapest place in the world. But you can still live the high life. You can get by on 1k a month here.

3. Thailand
View attachment 666827
Been here. Very fun. Lots of expat. Wear a rubber.

4. Bolivia
View attachment 666829

Cost effective. If you don't mind being landlocked.

5. Nepal
View attachment 666831

Find your inner spirit thingy here. Trek. Clack prayer beads. Find the golden child, die in a avalanche or oxygen starvation all for a low low price.

Where would you guys pick to live?
Doesn't have to be just this list
all great places, but I'd only want to go to any of them with my disposable income I had in my 20's, I don't understand why anyone would want to move to a new place in their 60's.

Puerto nuevo or La Salina, Mexico
little town just past Rosarito in Baja, Mexico

Last edited:
I fkn love San Diego too, it's one of my favourite places in the world (I'm a Brit). I'd need more than $3k a month to retire there though.
I too am a brit, its a nice place but i'd take anywhere in Australia over SD

Condo in Toronto and condo in vegas during cold months.

Honestly, I'd move back to my little city of Ensenada (in Baja). there are many other nicer places to live but this is home and I could live comfortably in a nice city with great weather, food, wineries, access to the beach, desert and mountains, all a short drive away, and I'd rather live cheap there and use that retirement money to travel.

mexican-flag.jpg

.4 to .5 acre golf course lot in DFW will be my first and final house. Will retire there. Basically get the best of everything (large scenic lot with backyard fairway view, quite neighborhood with no busy streets, but still technically in the middle of a 7+ million person metroplex).

Will do plenty of traveling but won't technically move (maybe do 2-3 week travel stays every quarter)

We are considering somewhere in Patagonia. US healthcare system is concerning to say the least

Was reading the state taxes thread the other day and was thinking about retirement, thought necro made more sense than asking the question again

Fair enough I guess, hope you get your answers.

Back