Where does Yoel Romero rank in MW History?

Yoel fought like he wrestled, conservatively, with sudden explosions of raw athleticism. As great as he was I always wanted more out of him. For me, ranked somewhere between five and ten. It's like he was content, even before he got old, to drive the Ferrari he was gifted with like Grandma on Sunday drive. I know why he did it, he understood his gas tank was limited. Credit for being smart about it, but man I wanted that Ferrari to red line way more than it did.

That's just how he fought. Doesn't seem like he had the gas tank to push hard for 15 minutes so he'd lay back and explode when he had the opportunity.

It was a pretty close fight.

Romero would take the pizza from you to prove the point that he could but then he'd give it to you anyway while talking about Jesus Christ

Aleks would take the pizza and r*pe you.

True but results wise Yoel's record is nothing to scoff at. He beat four ranked fighters(Kennedy, Machida, Weidman, Jacare) in a row to get his title shot because of the shenanigans of Bisping's title reign. These days if a guy gets one or two ranked wins they will demand a title shot. He then went on to beat Rockhold. He missed weight but it was a short notice fight. If you count that win he got five ranked wins, three of which were former champions. He also beat Brunson who was unraked at the time but would go on to be ranked for years so arguably six good wins.
Yes, he has good names on his resume but everyone you named was passed their best when Yoel fought them which matters. Kennedy, Machida, Weidman, Jacare and Rockhold were all past their best years when they fought Yoel. There were also controversies in a few of those fights like Yoel getting extra recovery time against Kennedy and grabbing the cage against Jacare when he would have wound up underneath him and many people thought he should have lost the Jacare fight too.

Being in the top 10-15 is nothing to scoff at and Yoel started MMA at a late age but based on actual wins and losses he's barely top 10 all time or just outside the top 10.

Why were some of his fights soooo bad?

What was holding him back?
Age and trying to conserve his energy for the later rounds.

Against Adesanya, Romero wanted to make the counter striker Israel move forward to him. He didn't want to get too aggressive and walk right into a punch or kick from Israel. He wanted to try to counter Israel as he came in.

Neither man moved forward. Both remained stubborn and that's why we got such a terrible fight.

Thankfully he had some all time great fights with guys like Whittaker and Costa.

I rank Romero very high. He KO'ed Weidman and Rockhold. He TKO'ed Machida and Brunson. He had a close win over Jacare when both were the two best MWs on Earth. He had really close fights with Izzy and Costa. The only Middleweights I rank higher than Romero all time are Anderson, Izzy and Hendo.
Lol, what about Bobby Knuckles? Ranking Romero higher than him would be retarded

Definitely top15 and maybe top10 even.

Behind Silva, Izzy, Whittaker for sure

It's crazy because he started MMA so late in life.

True freak of nature.

The wild shit he was pulling off in the Machida fight alone was some other-worldly super-hero shit that cannot simply be recreated in the cage by men that size

<{Joewithit}>

Reactions: mkt
In terms of competition he faced, I rank Romero high as well.
In terms of legacy, he's behind Rich Franklin, Weidman, with question mark for Bisping as well
It's worth noting that like Bisping, Yoel also beat Rockhold (he was 1-0 vs. Luke while Bisping was 1-1). He also beat Kennedy who beat Bisping. And he had wins over Jacare, Weidman and Brunson. The only other significant wins I can give Bisping were decisions over a 46-year old Hendo and a 40-ish Anderson Silva...both of whom put him in danger. And neither were close to their prime form.

Overall, Yoel had more impressive performances at MW, and many were when he was around age 40.

i forgot which one it was, but their was one fight they had where yoel was the clear winner IMO. an absolute robbery. and unfortunately, there was a loser and his name was Yoel. the average fan doesn't remember, and if they do remember Yoel, they see him now as a has been in the PFL. it's very unfortunate. I think that robbery took the wind out of his sail.

your entire post is based off a fight you can't remember lmfao

Tim Kennedy beat him.

It's worth noting that like Bisping, Yoel also beat Rockhold (he was 1-0 vs. Luke while Bisping was 1-1). He also beat Kennedy who beat Bisping. And he had wins over Jacare, Weidman and Brunson. The only other significant wins I can give Bisping were decisions over a 46-year old Hendo and a 40-ish Anderson Silva...both of whom put him in danger. And neither were close to their prime form.

Overall, Yoel had more impressive performances at MW, and many were when he was around age 40.
I was talking in terms of legacy. Bisping is a hall of famer. He beat sonnen, belcher, stann, leben, Anderson, rivera.. He has lots of wins in the ufc. That counts as legacy

Bro come on. He got knocked the fuck out and cheated to get an extra minute on the stool while Kennedy was off celebrating.

I was talking in terms of legacy. Bisping is a hall of famer. He beat sonnen, belcher, stann, leben, Anderson, rivera.. He has lots of wins in the ufc. That counts as legacy
Bisping lost to Sonner. The others aren't worth mentioning except a 40-year old, gimp-legged Anderson who would've utterly destroyed Bisping in his prime. Bisping also lost to an old Wand, Kennedy and many others.

Bro come on. He got knocked the fuck out and cheated to get an extra minute on the stool while Kennedy was off celebrating.
Man I can't believe people are STILL lying about this fight. Only reason Kennedy ever got a decent hit in was because a a foul the ref didn't see. Yoel was dominating the entire fight outside of that foul.

He ranks as a very-scary fuck who might’ve been the best ever had he started a bit earlier.

The greatest middleweight of all time, if you count robberies and aren’t a title defense purist

Man I can't believe people are STILL lying about this fight. Only reason Kennedy ever got a decent hit in was because a a foul the ref didn't see. Yoel was dominating the entire fight outside of that foul.

The fight should have been called. What you're referring to is Kennedy getting a stiff warning from the ref vs. Yoel basically getting finished and then getting an entire extra minute on the stool to recover. Come on man.

Back