Where does Yoel Romero rank in MW History?

filthybliss

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Obviously, a freak of nature, I have no doubt in my mind that if he fought Bisping for the belt, Bisping would of been dead meat and GSP would of never returned. But that being said, Bisping does have the more bountiful resume in terms of quantity and quality of fighters. Hell even Strickland/Dricus/Frank Shamrock might have claims to be placed above him. But absolutely, I have Silva, Hendo, Izzy, Weidman, and Poatan as beating him 7+./10. The rest, it is a coin toss.

Last edited:
Obviously, a freak of nature, I have no doubt in my mind that if he fought Bisping for the belt, Bisping would of been dead meat and GSP would of never returned. But that being said, Bisping does have the more bountiful resume in terms of quantity and quality of fighters. Hell even Strickland/Dricus/Frank Shamrock might have claims to be placed above him. But absolutely, I have Silva, Izzy, Weidman, and Poatan as beating him 7+./10. The rest, it is a coin toss.
He would've been GOAT if the whole fight is only 3 minutes long. The man had a questionable gas tank but when he remembered to finish a fight, it was, to quote Joe Rogan, extremely athletic and explosive

Had prime Izzy shook, on the run and point fighting
main-qimg-1be204273fff95791d6fa60e0ec4ee7f

I rank Romero very high. He KO'ed Weidman and Rockhold. He TKO'ed Machida and Brunson. He had a close win over Jacare when both were the two best MWs on Earth. He had really close fights with Izzy and Costa. The only Middleweights I rank higher than Romero all time are Anderson, Izzy and Hendo.

He is one of the scariest fighters in MW history… as well as one of the biggest, what if’s?

What if he came into MMA younger?
What if he wasn’t robbed in his close decisions?
What if he just did more in certain fights where he chose to just “coast”?
What if he fought Bisping instead of GSP when he was champ?

He is undoubtedly the most athletic guy in MW history and could beat literally anyone in the world prime for prime on any given night. The guy is a fucking unit and I’m still not convinced he wasn’t grown in a lab.

IMG_8326.gif
…like who tf else did shit like this.

as the guy who got absolutely robbed against whittaker. he should have been MW champ 100%.
Yeah, Romero should have got the decision in that 2nd fight (or a draw) but it was such a great fight though and an amazing performance by both Yoel and Whittaker. There was no loser that night. Those two took it to a whole different level of war. That fight needs to go in the UFC HOF if it's not already. Dana, we know you read this!

Imagine we if saw a 20 something year old Romero in his physical prime in the days of PRIDE FC. Can you imagine some of the matchups we could have seen?

Wanderlei Silva
Kevin Randleman
Fedor
Shogun
Ninja
Hendo
Igor
Overeem
Yoshida
I would be genuinely scared for the safety of his opponents if he was given free juicing passes by Pride:

IMG_8327.gif

Yeah, Romero should have got the decision in that 2nd fight (or a draw) but it was such a great fight though and an amazing performance by both Yoel and Whittaker. There was no loser that night. Those two took it to a whole different level of war. That fight needs to go in the UFC HOF if it's not already. Dana, we know you read this!
i forgot which one it was, but their was one fight they had where yoel was the clear winner IMO. an absolute robbery. and unfortunately, there was a loser and his name was Yoel. the average fan doesn't remember, and if they do remember Yoel, they see him now as a has been in the PFL. it's very unfortunate. I think that robbery took the wind out of his sail.

Back