Where does head movement come from?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was watching this video, and this man says that it should be from the hips. I have always thought that you were supposed to use your knees alot more then this, but maybe I was way off base. What are your guys' opinions?

I was watching this video, and this man says that it should be from the hips. I have always thought that you were supposed to use your knees alot more then this, but maybe I was way off base. What are your guys' opinions?

@Sinister is the best for this, but I'd say you're quite right, I've always known it as you bend at the knees but you drop the shoulder to crunch. Bending at the waist brings your head in front of your knees, which I don't like. So I would say that you're correct and Ramsey, while I like him, is wrong.

@Sinister is the best for this, but I'd say you're quite right, I've always known it as you bend at the knees but you drop the shoulder to crunch. Bending at the waist brings your head in front of your knees, which I don't like. So I would say that you're correct and Ramsey, while I like him, is wrong.
His way does feel more smooth then the other way though. It's just hard to keep my balance doing it.

Head movement was invented by Edmund T

I always thought it came from the legs

so are we talking slipping or bobbing and weaving? I think theres different types of bobbing as well. Tyson is the man to watch for this stuff

His way does feel more smooth then the other way though. It's just hard to keep my balance doing it.

It will only be hard to keep your balance if your feet are incorrectly placed. Do a search for "tile exercise"...do that for about 3 months, thank me later.

so are we talking slipping or bobbing and weaving? I think theres different types of bobbing as well. Tyson is the man to watch for this stuff

One of the caveats to D'Amato's system is it's oriented in the back. The slips are done in a side-crunch motion. I trained a kid who was taught that system, there's a lot of square standing with the hips not angled, so to bend you do that side-crunch motion. This plays Hell on the lower-back as the lumbar isn't designed to bend that way. Tyson had back issues, and Patterson's back was so bad he was having it cracked between rounds while fighting ALI.

Slip style 1: stand in your boxing stance but with your hands down at your side. Touch your left hand to your left knee, then your right hand to your right knee. Voila! Head movement. Now do it with your hands up. Think about touching your knees with your elbows.

Slip style 2: stand in your boxing stance with your hands down at your side. Touch your left knee with your right hand. Then your right knee with your left hand. Boom, you’re a pro. Now do it with your hands up and think about trying to get your shoulders to your hip. Don’t let your head go past your knee.

Slip style 1: stand in your boxing stance but with your hands down at your side. Touch your left hand to your left knee, then your right hand to your right knee. Voila! Head movement. Now do it with your hands up. Think about touching your knees with your elbows.

Slip style 2: stand in your boxing stance with your hands down at your side. Touch your left knee with your right hand. Then your right knee with your left hand. Boom, you’re a pro. Now do it with your hands up and think about trying to get your shoulders to your hip. Don’t let your head go past your knee.

Could you specify to me why style 2 is better than style 1?

One of the caveats to D'Amato's system is it's oriented in the back. The slips are done in a side-crunch motion. I trained a kid who was taught that system, there's a lot of square standing with the hips not angled, so to bend you do that side-crunch motion. This plays Hell on the lower-back as the lumbar isn't designed to bend that way. Tyson had back issues, and Patterson's back was so bad he was having it cracked between rounds while fighting ALI.
really interesting. i always wondered if the style had an impact on patterson's back.

read this (over and over again, then repeat):

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tile-exercise-for-boxing.2255705/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/hips-and-what-they-mean-to-me.2819001/

this is good too:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/joe-louis-and-the-blackburn-crouch.2152135/

This is all from Sinister:

^And the entire burden of the weight of his torso isn't being moved BY the lumbar spine. It's being tilted by the movement of the pelvic bowl, i.e. "letting the hips do the work."

The problem is most people either bend the waist, or turn at the waist, very few people know how to do both at the same time, with their feet in the right position.

Step 1 - Get into stance: Stand with forehead to heavybag. Place jab hand flat against heavybag by the palm. Now, when you look down your baby toe of your lead foot should be under your elbow of your lead arm. As for the back hand, your big toe should be beneath your back elbow if you place your back hand to the heavybag at about the height of a bodyshot.

Step 2: Lean into the bag until your shoulder touches on one side and your ear on the other. Lead shoulder on one side, right ear on the other. Now just slip to either side by leaning slightly and bending the knees. You can either use your hands to hold the bag into place, or you can bring both hands up to be able to slip and block at the same time. If you can clear the bag without moving it too much or not at all, you can slip a punch NO problem.

Step 3: Forehead to center of bag, top of your forehead should be touching the bottom of one of those straps sewn on where the hooks hold. Then you just duck by bending the knees and changing elevation without pushing the bag back and forth.

Its both really.
But id say its more hips.. knees play a part but really to extend the movement of the hips.. its also the shoulders.. but that mire rolling punches.. id go more indepth but kinda busy

@dudeguyman well I searched posts on here have a few to look at......I was more after something that showed progressions in terms of how to move feet etc as at the moment I am just doing basic skipping. Anyway thanks so much for your help really usefull!!!!!
Make your own thread yo. You can ask whatever questions you want.
<seedat>

Back