When your opponent is so big you can't close your guard

trewq

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What do you do? I pretty much only use closed guard (or half guard). There are a couple of guys so big I can't close guard. What guards would you recommend. A guard that also works for self defense would be ideal.

theres no way a person exists thats so big you cant close a half guard on them; and if that person does exist... Don't fight that person :p

I would recommend getting good.

More helpfully, if you only play closed guard you're probably just new and need to learn an open guard system. Do that.

What do you do? I pretty much only use closed guard (or half guard). There are a couple of guys so big I can't close guard. What guards would you recommend. A guard that also works for self defense would be ideal.

I used to be a strictly closed guard player at blue belt until I rolled with a good guy who was so rotund I couldn't even close my long legs. That's when I realized anyone that fat keeps enough natural space between their knees and their hips to create an angle to elevator sweep them perfectly.

Also you can start working feet on hips Marcelo Garcia style of the guy is big but aggressive.

Actually closed guard is no good for self defense as well.

Someone that fat is not going to be particularly mobile. Do what it takes to get to top position.

Heel hook him.

That's pretty much my answer for everything.

Seriously though, a seated/butterfly guard is much more advantageous against someone huge like that because

1) their weight isn't on you
2) arm/collar drags are money against fat, slow guys

I actually don't even use closed guard at all anymore unless I'm trying to chill for a minute or slow down the action.

You can get slammed and punched.

It is the worst guard for self defense. Butterfly guard is superior.

Lol, please tell me you are not serious??? You can tie them up in closed guard. If you are in bfly, you should be standing up instead. Most other guards put you in a great position to be GnP'd, while closed guard you wrap them up and their punches are not that effective. Just watch mma.

If someone is going to pick you up to slam you from closed guard...then....um....like let go and stand up.

The guards that are worst are the ones that put you face at the range of your opponent's fist when their arm is fully extended

get quick with your technical stand up. you will get up on your feet faster than the big guy can. from there you can attack their neck with guillotines, loop chokes, etc or take their back since you're more mobile.

Lol, please tell me you are not serious??? You can tie them up in closed guard. If you are in bfly, you should be standing up instead. Most other guards put you in a great position to be GnP'd, while closed guard you wrap them up and their punches are not that effective. Just watch mma.

If someone is going to pick you up to slam you from closed guard...then....um....like let go and stand up.

The guards that are worst are the ones that put you face at the range of your opponent's fist when their arm is fully extended
I have to agree with this. When I first began grappling with strikes involved I immediately learned I needed to work on my closed guard again. Being able to tie them up is very important.

My most frequent trading partner is a SHW.... It teaches me to avoid being on bottom at all cost.

Only thing I know it's to get my knees between us, wrist control, squirm and shrimp. Get your feet on his chest, push off. You're in a tough spot for sure if you can't close up

Also, big guys tend to gas and need to put their hands on the mat.
You can look for opportunities at an arm bar, big guys forget to protect and your might think of trying to isolate and work.

Correct . I am not joking.

Just like the way you said if someone pick up and you just like let go.

Just play butterfly guard.

Tying someone with closed guard for self defense is the worst option in my opinion

Grab a lapel and a sleeve. The side you have the sleeve you should be on that hip. Try not to go flat back. Ever. Feet on hips, or hooked behind knees if he stands up.
If he tries to come forward under hook his arm the side that is hip up and go to half guard. You can go out the back that way or if he tries to smash into you, roll him over for a sweep.
If he tries to back up, sit up and cross grab. Then go to his back or if he pushes forward sweep him.

Being a big guy myself I see good little guys setting this up on me and I use on guys bigger than me.

Correct . I am not joking.

Just like the way you said if someone pick up and you just like let go.

Just play butterfly guard.

Tying someone with closed guard for self defense is the worst option in my opinion

Thanks for posting!

I had a discussion about this with a guy who taught kids.

Kids can have huge variations in strength and they don't know they are doing anything wrong when they do something natural.

He had to teach kids not to slam all the time. But he tried to find ways to make closer guard work so they could use it in self defense.

What he ended up teaching was two responses to the slam. Usually kids would get lifted when they had an over hook, so he taught them to put their feet down and stand up, like a technical standup.

He also taught them to go to feet on hips if the other guy postured up.

The rule they played with, while no slamming, was that you won if you could pick another kid up without hurting them.

So they got creative with the lifts (and thought it was really fun).

The ultimate move from closed guard was to hug the other kid over the legs so they can't put their feet down or open guard. Then they could just pick them up.

Didn't really seem to be an answer for it. I guess you could try to hit a Kimora really quick, but with the power advantage slammers have, that's not likely.

A seated butterfly guard like what Marcelo Garcia makes great use of. Very aggressive hand fighting, looking to arm drag and snap down to get on top. Nothing worse than a big dude getting into your half, flattening you out and crushing out. I speak as a small 140lb grappler. Feet on the hips is so key as it makes them have to clear that first before advancing. This opens their arms up for drags, Marcelo-style elbow cup armlocks or omoplatas.

For self defense? I wouldn't be actively or purposely playing off my back. If I am there, I'm keeping my feet on their hips, make space and get up or hit tripod sweeps. If they're close to me like them on their knees, I'm either staying tight with a butterfly or following with Demian Maia does and that is to snag the underhook from the half guard and get up and/or take them down.

Thanks for posting!

I had a discussion about this with a guy who taught kids.

Kids can have huge variations in strength and they don't know they are doing anything wrong when they do something natural.

He had to teach kids not to slam all the time. But he tried to find ways to make closer guard work so they could use it in self defense.

What he ended up teaching was two responses to the slam. Usually kids would get lifted when they had an over hook, so he taught them to put their feet down and stand up, like a technical standup.

He also taught them to go to feet on hips if the other guy postured up.

The rule they played with, while no slamming, was that you won if you could pick another kid up without hurting them.

So they got creative with the lifts (and thought it was really fun).

The ultimate move from closed guard was to hug the other kid over the legs so they can't put their feet down or open guard. Then they could just pick them up.

Didn't really seem to be an answer for it. I guess you could try to hit a Kimora really quick, but with the power advantage slammers have, that's not likely.

As I read the situation with the kids training, it really shows that closed guard is redundant, use less and plain dangerous to the point that the coach had to created specific drills to avoid slams.

if the person is on his knees, closed guard can be an option.
However, as soonest he stands up, you must relinsquish the closed gaurd and transition to an open guard.

if he does not control one of your sleeve, just open your legs and hit a double ankle sweep, balloon sweep,

If he controls one sleeve, switch to de la riva or just a simple tripod sweep/gaurd if DLR is too advanced.

Now, I have had this conversation with other coaches and they do not agree with me.

Basically for me, do NOT jump guard or ever let your opponent lift you up and you still insist in playing close guard.

I will allow you to pull guard. Nothing wrong with that. A little bit disapointing as we have 4 Judo classes and 2 BJJ classes per week for only $20.

Wish people were willing to do more Tachi Waza as we offer rounds of stand up sparring at every BJJ classes.

I understand that some people train as a sport BUT this is not what I want in my club.

I will gladly re direct a student to more sport oriented gym if he insists on doing that style of BJJ (ie do NOT jump guard or ever let your opponent lift you up and you still insist in playing close guard.).

Strangely, I do not teach BJJ for self defense or even train with strikes BUT it is one of those things that I can dictate in my club as long as I am one of the teachers.

It is kind of weird as I teach and encourage student to do sport BJJ.

Maybe later, when I retire from teaching they can do whatever.

Actually a funny anecdote is one day I would like to teach and train student by never teaching the close guard.

I met a Korean BJJ player and he did not know what was closed guard.

It was amazing. Just butterly, X gaurd, single X and whatever but he could not perform a closed guard to save his own life.

he was a white belt at the time and it was just freaking awesome.

Last edited:
Back