Social When Sports Don't Support the inclusive view - but their religious beliefs

Grunk

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Here is an absolute sports superstar in Australia - played all 3 codes and is on millions a year. But he can't help himself - his religious views are against the open gay support trend - he made it clear at our referendum on gay marriage that he would not be supporting it. So he has been very open for years on his beliefs - but the response from the Exec is now to call him in to conflict with their inclusion policy. Now his latest post - on gays going to hell is really stirring things up.

I don't know the answer - but he may have a valid point that he is being the one persecuted for his religious views.

----
Dual international Israel Folau did not appear to be in the mood to compromise on the eve of a crucial meeting with his employers on Tuesday, posting biblical references to being "persecuted" for his beliefs.

Folau has come under fire for saying on Instagram that gay people are destined for hell. He was called to meet with Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle and Waratahs chief executive Andrew Hore at RA headquarters on Tuesday morning.

RA is under pressure from major sponsors Qantas, Asics and Land Rover to distance themselves from Folau's comment of last week, which appears to be in breach of the game's code of conduct and inclusion policy. Castle said last week RA was treating the matter seriously.

--------

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-no-sign-of-backing-down-20180409-p4z8lk.html

I admire him for standing up for the truth in God's laws.

If he's making his comments while officially representing his team and sport then fuck him.

If he's doing so in his capacity as a mere citizen expressing his views in an unofficial capacity then fuck them.

Hmm I mean if you post that gay people are destined to hell is a bit different than being against gay marriage.
If a gay person would post all straight people go to hell I am sure he would be in the same kind of trouble.

Also, the lines get a bit blurred when you are an athlete because of you pretty much represent your team all the time.
His twitter pic shows him in an Aussie shirt. Can't really say those comments don't reflect on his employer or federation.

On a related note, what does the bible says about all his tattoos?

Hmm I mean if you post that gay people are destined to hell is a bit different than being against gay marriage.
If a gay person would post all straight people go to hell I am sure he would be in the same kind of trouble.

Also, the lines get a bit blurred when you are an athlete because of you pretty much represent your team all the time.
His twitter pic shows him in an Aussie shirt. Can't really say those comments don't reflect on his employer or federation.

You either support athletes being able to have an opinion regardless of their celebrity status or you dont. It's that simple. If one should be silenced they all should regardless of the message as their sports celebrity status is always on.

You either support athletes being able to have an opinion regardless of their celebrity status or you dont. It's that simple. If one should be silenced they all should regardless of the message as their sports celebrity status is always on.

No the type of opinion matters of course. You have to consider the relevance.
If he said his opinion is all Jews should be gassed. That is a bit different of an opinion compared to being against gay marriage.

The issue here is if he made those comments while representing the team or league.
That is why the sponsors want the team to distance themselves from the comments.
You can't voice all your opinions if you are representing your employer that is already established.

Freedom of speech says let him say whatever he wants and let people say back to him whatever they want. If he says something unpopular then he loses support. If sponsors take away money or the team gives him the boot, that’s their prerogative. If the team receives backlash from people who support him, that’s the right of their fan base.

It's easy for me. He wants his beliefs to get in the way of how others want to live their lives; these are people who are not directly affecting him with their actions. That excludes him from sympathy over being persecuted. You can't try to take/keep something from people and then complain that they want you to shut up.

Last edited:
No the type of opinion matters of course. You have to consider the relevance.
If he said his opinion is all Jews should be gassed. That is a bit different of an opinion compared to being against gay marriage.

The issue here is if he made those comments while representing the team or league.
That is why the sponsors want the team to distance themselves from the comments.
You can't voice all your opinions if you are representing your employer that is already established.
I agree, if your representing your team or sport in an official capacity you are subject to their code of conduct. If you are not, you are free to say your piece and be judged accordingly as just another person and not the athlete.

Part of the problem is the veneration they are afforded that can't separate the man from the sports figure.

Skimmed the article. Is he a part-time lawmaker or is the outrage that some athlete just doesn't share your opinion?

Skimmed the article. Is he a part-time lawmaker or is the outrage that some athlete just doesn't share your opinion?
Outrage is the opiate of the masses. Or I should say the new opiate

It’s going to get spicy when the left finally tries to tell Islam their beliefs are wrong.

I’ll have my popcorn ready...

It's easy for me. He wants his beliefs to get in the way of how others want to live their lives; these are people who are not directly affecting him with their actions. That excludes him from sympathy over being persecuted. You can't try to take/keep something from people, and then complain that they want you to shut up.
I'll try to go easier- homophobia is bad for business.

Every negative reaction is not persecution.

It's just a shield assholes use to justify still being assholes

He is entitled to his opinion---I won't feign pearl clutching.

The only inclusive policy should be to include the best players.

I guess gays will find out sooner or later and don't need his help.

When two religions collide..

Lets say this guy actually 100% believes gay people will suffer for eternity because of their orientation. Wouldn't it make sense for him to say something like this out of compassion?

Back