When Merab tried to takedown a 35 yr old Aldo

UFC 179 Mendes would be Champion in todays 145 Division. I love Holloway and Volk, but the only times Volk was in Danger besides Topuria, were Islam (ofc) and Mendes. Mind you, Mendes was a Shell of his Former Self when he fought Volk and still managed to take Volk down, as well as hurt him badly.

A Prime, Focused Chad Mendes would be a Problem for Todays Featherweights. For anyone to dispute this is ABSURD, go rewatch Mendes’s resurgence after the first Aldo loss.

Also, It’s absurd to discredit Frankie and KZ as well. Those guys in their Prime, beat most of the Top Featherweights of today. A Prime Frankie vs Topuria would be a SCRAP.
Mendes is Aldo’s best win

Aldo had a 25 fight win streak. Volkanovski had a 21 fight win streak. Volk has nine ranked wins at 145. Aldo has twelve. Aldo had nine title defenses. Volk had six. Aldo lost his belt almost twelve years into his MMA career. Volk lost his almost twelve years into his. Aldo had a clear win over the guy who should have been lightweight champion at the time in Edgar at UFC 156 and should have beaten Bendo at UFC 150.

Outside of Holloway, Volkanovski never successfully defended his title against anyone who had more than a two fight win streak. Hominick, Edgar II, KZ, Lamas and Mendes x2 all had at least three fight win streaks, with KZ at three, Lamas at four, Mendes II at five, Mendes I at nine, Edgar II at five and Hominick at five.

All time divisional standings are created in the aggregate. Aldo still has claim to the title Featherweight GOAT in my opinion.

How? I don't see it. Prime Frankie Edgar was more well-rounded than Yair and Ortega and would still be a top fighter today.

Frankie mauled Yair like he owed him money. Knocked out Mendes. Bludgeoned Cub. Beat Charlie Olives and then lost a clear cut 50-45 to a past prime Aldo at UFC 200. Both of those Frankie wins are stellar.

25 FW wins in a row…
Yeah against inferior competition. Max and Volk would do the same thing against those opponents. Aldo is a legend but the game has evolved and is FW is much more stacked now.

Mendes is Aldo’s best win
Mendes x2, Frankie, KZ, Hominick, Cub, Lamas, Brown, & even KenFlo.

Many look at the names and would rather not do their research into the win streaks behind these people and their skills at the time being. Aldo has one of the best and toughest resumes of all time. Not saying Volk or Holloway couldn’t match it, but many need to know that Aldo fought these guys, especially Frankie, Mendes, and KZ, at their Peak. Holloway got an older Frankie, Volk got a worn down Aldo, Volk got Mendes that was a Shell, both guys got a Past Prime, shot KZ.

Aldo got them at their BEST!

Last edited:
Man that fight sucked. If Merab and Belal got cut I wouldn't mind. Took a solid 30 seconds of intense concentration to remember Belals name lmao.

Remember the name? Sorry bud I only remember you showing up to spar a one armed man.

Yeah against inferior competition. Max and Volk would do the same thing against those opponents. Aldo is a legend but the game has evolved and is FW is much more stacked now.

Bang your head into a cabinet for about fifteen minutes. That might be the only thing to get through your thick skull at this point, since common sense isn't.

Bang your head into a cabinet for about fifteen minutes. That might be the only thing to get through your thick skull at this point, since common sense isn't.
So you don’t think Max and Volk wouldn’t wipe the floor with the same guys Aldo beat? I have a hard time believing that. Featherweight is full of killers today unlike back then when it was only Frankie and Mendes which is why he had to fight both of them twice

So you don’t think Max and Volk wouldn’t wipe the floor with the same guys Aldo beat? I have a hard time believing that. Featherweight is full of killers today unlike back then when it was only Frankie and Mendes which is why he had to fight both of them twice

Frankie and Mendes went on long runs after their initial losses to get back to Aldo. Featherweight then was so damn weak that it required them to each rack up five fight win streaks to get rematches despite it being a barren wasteland of talent? That makes zero sense.

Ortega got the shot after one win. KZ got the shot against Volk after one win. A good deal of Aldo's defenses were against guys who went on long win streaks. Aldo beat KZ in 2013. Volk beat him in 2022.

Aldo's divisional accomplishments surpass Volk's from almost every metric. That's how you conclude who is the best in that division from a career perspective. Your assumption that Aldo's opponents would have lost to Holloway or Volk is irrelevant.

What exactly are we doing here?

Frankie and Mendes went on long runs after their initial losses to get back to Aldo. Featherweight then was so damn weak that it required them to reach rack up five fight win streaks to get rematches despite it being a barren wasteland of talent? That makes zero sense.

Ortega got the shot after one win. KZ got the shot against Volk after one win. Aldo beat KZ in 2013. Volk beat him in 2022.

Aldo's divisional accomplishments surpass Volk's. That's how you conclude who is the best in that division.

What exactly are we doing here?
We both have our opinions and I think Aldo is a legend but fighters today are much better than 10-12 years ago. All those guys would even be considered modern day bantamweights.

Past his prime or not Aldo lost to Volk, Max twice and Conor. He doesn’t have a win over either to solidify him as a better fighter than those guys. He also had a war with Mendes that could’ve went either way. Mendes. Frankie were great fighters but there is zero reason to think Volk and max wouldn’t beat them or all the guys Aldo beat and have the same records if they were around then.

I think beating long term champ Max 3 times is greater than Aldo beating simply contenders like Mendes even Frankie

Aldo fought much weaker competition back then. You don’t think Volk or Max could beat the same guys Aldo beat? Volk and max would have the same streak and title defense record. Beating Hominick, Lamas and guys like Mike Brown lol. The competition matters when you mention streaks and wins. Max and Volk fought much superior competition and even beat Aldo easily

Aldo lost to Max, Volk and Conor who are considered the greatest featherweights ever.
You lost all credibility with a silly claim like Conor being considered as one of the greatest FWs ever. Absolutely nobody with a brain considers Conor the greatest at MMA aside from being the champion of the box office.

Aldo losing to Max and Volk is really Aldo losing to Father Time. Funny how Max and Volk didn't come close to 11 title fight wins. Aldo's opponents were all at their peak and Aldo knocked them all down. Volk stopped at 6 and Max at 5. Facts are more relevant then your subjective opinion.

You sound like you are gobbling at the Teat of the UFC's laughable shills last night going on how the champions of today are the greatest ever. Because they got to watch GSP makes Leon and before him Usman better? Dricus is better than Anderson? O'Malley is greater than Cruz? I guess Alex P is greater than Jon Jones?

Muhammad Ali lost to Larry Holmes but he is still vastly superior to Larry.

Frankie imo since Edgar KOd Mendes and was LW champ who dethroned BJ. Albeit too quickly after the Conor fight
the fact that you even have to correct that statement with this just shows how clueless most MMA fans are. insane.

You lost all credibility with a silly claim like Conor being considered as one of the greatest FWs ever. Absolutely nobody with a brain considers Conor the greatest at MMA aside from being the champion of the box office.

Aldo losing to Max and Volk is really Aldo losing to Father Time. Funny how Max and Volk didn't come close to 11 title fight wins. Aldo's opponents were all at their peak and Aldo knocked them all down. Volk stopped at 6 and Max at 5. Facts are more relevant then your subjective opinion.

You sound like you are gobbling at the Teat of the UFC's laughable shills last night going on how the champions of today are the greatest ever. Because they got to watch GSP makes Leon and before him Usman better? Dricus is better than Anderson? O'Malley is greater than Cruz? I guess Alex P is greater than Jon Jones?

Muhammad Ali lost to Larry Holmes but he is still vastly superior to Larry.
Aldo had 11 wins fighting inferior competition. He wouldn’t have that today. Max and Volk would have beaten the same guys he beat too. Aldo started losing because the talent got super stacked. He lost to Conor, Max and Volk all under 35 years old.

Fighters today are much better than Aldo’s competition so why bring up his “11 wins”

We both have our opinions and I think Aldo is a legend but fighters today are much better than 10-12 years ago. All those guys would even be considered modern day bantamweights.

Past his prime or not Aldo lost to Volk, Max twice and Conor. He doesn’t have a win over either to solidify him as a better fighter than those guys. He also had a war with Mendes that could’ve went either way. Mendes. Frankie were great fighters but there is zero reason to think Volk and max wouldn’t beat them or all the guys Aldo beat and have the same records if they were around then.

I think beating long term champ Max 3 times is greater than Aldo beating simply contenders like Mendes even Frankie

'Had a war with Mendes that could have went either way'. You're on another planet at this point and clearly proving that engaging you is a fools errand. Enjoy.

Not close to what? He won 25 FW fights in a row (His lone loss was at LW) Aldo had 11 UFC/WEC title fight wins in a row. Won the belt and defended it 10 times in a row. Volk won 6 Title fights.

Title fights Aldo 11 wins Volk 6. Last I checked 11 > 6.
Winning streak Aldo 25 Volk 21. Last I checked 25 > 21.
You’re acting like regional scene cans with no Wikipedia pages should even factor in to the goat discussion

Back